Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitro RC truck owners

Default Nitro RC truck owners

Okay, I have finally saved up enough money to be able to buy a nitro truck, but I am not sure where to start.
    I have run electric trucks before, so I know the very basics, but I know nothing about the nitro end of things.
    Can anybody suggest an RTR kit that would be good for a newbie?

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

Blog Entries

I personally like the HPI Savage, tough little bastard, check out the vids on you tube, they're beasts.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/867/

Blog Entries

Savage or Associated Monster GT... I would avoid Traxxas. (based on my own research, they're not as strong or durable).

I have an Assoc. RC8 buggy, and I'm waiting for delivery of my MGT 8.0 (monday)

Here's the buggy with a fresh RJ Speed body painted by me...

Nitro is much more entertaining than electric, in my opinion. The maintanence is a bit more complicated, but if you enjoy tinkering, it's no problem.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Very nice looking buggy, I realy like the paint job you did.
    I do like to tinker with things, and, that is why I was thinking of nitro.

I was actually loking at the Savage, and I really like the looks of it. Is the Savage a fairly upgradable truck? I mean, are upgrades pretty accessible?

Blog Entries

Thanks, It's my first paint job....

There are a shitload of hopup parts for the Savage, look around at integy.com, they make some nice CNC parts for a lot of vehicles. Especially the Savage.

http://www.integy.com/st_main.html?p_catid=59

I went with Associated because of my great experience with the RC8 buggy. Tower Hobbies also has an easy-pay plan where they will charge your card over three months... Makes these big boy toys a bit more accessible to me.

From what I've read, once you get into a certain price range, high or low, there's not really much difference between manufacturers within that range... A $400.00 truck is a $400.00 truck. Just scope out parts availability.

Haven't broken anything yet... Wish I could say the same thing about my helicopters! THOSE things are ALWAYS on the workbench!

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mail man View Post
    I was actually loking at the Savage, and I really like the looks of it. Is the Savage a fairly upgradable truck? I mean, are upgrades pretty accessible?
    I think in the HPI site they have an extensive list of upgrades, from alloy parts to kits for reverse. I'm running an HPI rs4 right now, seems like i break it more often than I play with it (hitting shit at 40+mph breaks alot of shit) and replacement parts are always readily available.

Blog Entries

My whip

8. Default

Very nice looking buggy, I realy like the paint job you did.
    I do like to tinker with things, and, that is why I was thinking of nitro.

When my youngest son and I went to buy his first Nitro buggy, the first thing the store owner said was, "You'll spend 80% of your time working on them, 20% running them". He was pretty close.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Nice car!

RS4 is my next car... HPI makes some awesome bodies.

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

New Truck is in the house!

Two tanks into the break-in process... This beast has some POWER!

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Very nice, is this the 8.0?Very sweet looking ride, is that the stock paint?

Okay, I have a few more questions, I am just looking for opinions, I did do a lot of "window" shopping, and I realy like the Savage, and the beast the best in looks and in customer reviews.
    So,should I be looking at the 1/10, or will I be dissappointed that I didn't get 1/8 size, and, realistically, would I be setting myself up by buying a used one, or should I buy new to save any potential heartburn? And lastly, are the RTR kits good kits?(good radios, and such).

Thanks for letting me bend your ears.

Blog Entries

Yep.. Monster GT 8.0.. Stock paint. Can't wait to get her fully broken in and tuned... should do back flips from a stand still!

I would hesitate to steer anyone to used nitro vehicles... you just can't be sure how the engine has been treated. With a new truck, at least you have the peace of mind of a proper break-in and manufacturer support.

RTR stuff is just fine... All my research leads me to believe the only weak links are the servos. Stock will be OK for anything outside of serious racing though. HPI has 2.4 Ghz radios, something I'm going to invest in one day. Less glitching, and built in fail-safe systems have real benefits. Things like A-arms can be replaced with stronger units like RPM kit when the stock ones break

I'm a firm believer that bigger is better with RC vehicles... (my opinion, of course.. yours may differ). One day I'd like to have a 1/5 scale buggy, but them damn things are pricey!

Whatever you end up with, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I know I do!

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

You need to post some video of that bad boy running once you get it broke in.

I was thinking on the same lines as you are about the prior treatment of a used one, but wanted to get a second opinion.

I am also thinking on the same lines as you...for a few more $ I can stay happy by getting the 1/8 ( can drive over more trucks if mine is bigger ).

Thank you for your honest input.

Blog Entries

Yeah... I opened the box on the MGT yesterday and was really impressed with the size of this thing.

It's 24" long with 7.75" dia. tires!

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Holy cow, that is huge for an RC. You should beable to drive over a Yugo with that thing.
    Last edited by mail man; 03-08-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    When my youngest son and I went to buy his first Nitro buggy, the first thing the store owner said was, "You'll spend 80% of your time working on them, 20% running them". He was pretty close.

Doc.
    Yep!

Mine is a HPI Nitro rs4. I've had the beast for over 10 years - wasn't horribly expensive to get into - and there are still plenty of parts and upgrades out there.

Well, I just put in an order through Tower Hobbies for the new Savage X 4.6 with the new 2.4GHZ remote.
    They are on back order, but should be out in a 1 to 1 1/2 weeks...I can't wait.

The rtr kit from HPI comes with an extra kit ie. fuel fill bottle glow starter, batteries and charger, and four way wrench...hopefully, all I will need is some fuel, and to charge the batteries, then I can start the break in...as soon as it comes in.

Well, I just put in an order through Tower Hobbies for the new Savage X 4.6 with the new 2.4GHZ remote.
    They are on back order, but should be out in a 1 to 1 1/2 weeks...I can't wait.

The rtr kit from HPI comes with an extra kit ie. fuel fill bottle glow starter, batteries and charger, and four way wrench...hopefully, all I will need is some fuel, and to charge the batteries, then I can start the break in...as soon as it comes in.
    Does it come preassembled? Or do you have the joy of assembling it yourself?

Mine came as a build it yourself kit - and am actually glad it came that way. I was able to see how everything fit together - and (most importantly) how to take it apart and repair it when I ran it into a concrete wall...

Be careful - the problem with buying a nitro car/truck is you'll always find yourself wanting to go bigger and better.

Unfortunately, it comes preassembled, but that just means I can get to the break in quicker, then I can learn how to rebuild when I wreck it.

I ask for some videos once you get it. I'd prefer the ones where you smash into a wall or something and then swear a lot!
    "I would call that person a puffnozzle" ~mrtr33

Thread Information