Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
Marketing can accomplish a lot, I agree. However, the cigar doesn't have to be a puro to benefit - look at the CAO America - look at CAO, in fact. There are many American cigar companies that have produced, or could easily produce, in the US, but they don't seem to have to in order to retain their "American-ness."
In the aforementioned example, however, I think what's ended up happening in this instance is over-marketing, to the point of almost being a gimmick. It doesn't immediately appear to me that this was an attempt to label the 'America' cigar as showcasing American tobacco as a gimmick of representing labels from anywhere tobacco could grow (Brazil, Italy). CAO, in my mind, would stop at nothing to put any kind of spin they could on any product they have in order to sell it. The cigar is not necessarily indicative of the country's tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
Cameroon sun-grown wrapper has a unique taste, though - and a unique taste is what an American puro would need to succeed, I think.
I agree with this statement - if it would happen here, there would need to be some kind of unique twist that would appeal to aficionados. I don't know that Cameroon sungrown is the answer, but something along those lines (jayhawk?).