Thread: Ramon Allones

Default Ramon Allones

I'd post this in the review section, but I don't have a lot to say other than this was a fantastic smoke. Picked up a fiver from JR, along with a fiver of the Reserve which I am now looking forward to trying. Very good, rich flavor that I don't know how else to describe. The draw was a little tight at first but it opened up pretty quick. Burn was perfect and the construction was flawless.

Anybody else like these or have some insight on what I can expect from the Reserve when I get around to torching one?

Blog Entries

I'm not a big fan of these. I can't remember ever smoking the Reserves but based on how the regular ones smoked, I'm not inclined to buy any of these. Fortunately the ones I smoked were gifted to me.

At least the Reserves aren't filled with Mexican tobacco.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Hopefully I do not share your experiences, CC.

Default Ramon Allones

I was recently in Mexico and the local LCDH recommended the the brand. I picked up a box of the corona vitola for 110 bucks....Not too bad considering Mexico has a 50% tobacco tax.

The corona's were good but young so I put most to sleep for a bit. Upon discussion and some investigation I have found that the Ramon Allones Specialty Selected (Robusto Vitola) has quite a following and is a well known quality refugee.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSidePK View Post
    I was recently in Mexico and the local LCDH recommended the the brand. I picked up a box of the corona vitola for 110 bucks....Not too bad considering Mexico has a 50% tobacco tax.

The corona's were good but young so I put most to sleep for a bit. Upon discussion and some investigation I have found that the Ramon Allones Specialty Selected (Robusto Vitola) has quite a following and is a well known quality refugee.
    His review was of the non Cuban version.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Default Oh

Yeah that makes a difference

Yeah that makes a difference
    Yes it does, I have had the displeasure of smoking one. As Cat stated it has the Mexican burnt tobacco carboard taste thingy going on. I'm not a big fan.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Default Burnt cardboard

I had a similar experience with the Fonseca brand. Great refugee's...Not so great stateside.

I can't think of one "stateside" brand that is any way comparable to the Cuban brands. Not in any way, shape or form...

Ramon Allones Specially Selected and the Small Club Corona. Two of my consistent favorites. The Specially Selected is one of the best Robusto's of all of the Robusto's.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I can't think of one "stateside" brand that is any way comparable to the Cuban brands. Not in any way, shape or form...

Ramon Allones Specially Selected and the Small Club Corona. Two of my consistent favorites. The Specially Selected is one of the best Robusto's of all of the Robusto's.
    What you wouldn't prefer a Partagas Black over a Serie P no 2???

Gotta love that steamed wrapper!!!

What you wouldn't prefer a Partagas Black over a Serie P no 2???

Gotta love that steamed wrapper!!!
    Partagas Black () vs. a Serie P No. 2 ()? Not even in the same ballpark!!!

I will add a caveat, though - while I would not go one on one with brands, between "domestic" versus Cuban - I will go head to head ($ to $) with some of the domestic "premiums" versus Cuban brands.

Many of the domestic brands have been getting better and better - and the blends that are being put together these days put them at least very much on par with most of the "premium" Cuban brands. For the $$$ - I can think of a number of cigars I'd much rather smoke against any Cuban Cohiba...

I've gotta say, though - Cuba is doing a much better job of quality control. It was not that long ago that it wouldn't be surprising to have at least 10% of a box of cigars that were plugged. I'm not seeing that nearly as much these days.

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Partagas Black () vs. a Serie P No. 2 ()? Not even in the same ballpark!!!

I will add a caveat, though - while I would not go one on one with brands, between "domestic" versus Cuban - I will go head to head ($ to $) with some of the domestic "premiums" versus Cuban brands.

Many of the domestic brands have been getting better and better - and the blends that are being put together these days put them at least very much on par with most of the "premium" Cuban brands. For the $$$ - I can think of a number of cigars I'd much rather smoke against any Cuban Cohiba...

I've gotta say, though - Cuba is doing a much better job of quality control. It was not that long ago that it wouldn't be surprising to have at least 10% of a box of cigars that were plugged. I'm not seeing that nearly as much these days.
    I agree on all accounts

Thread Information