Thread: Building a Coolerdor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am going to be setting my cooler up, cleaning out tomorrow. I was just asking about the boxes because I have seen people use them and not use them. I really don't want to buy them for nothing. I have sticks sitting in my box that was usps'd to me... My humi is over flowing!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I completely disagree with Step 4. If you're using beads, all you need is a cheap hygro because it will never move unless the beads dry out. No need to spend crazy money on something you don't need.
    I agree. Who wrote that, anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Cigar boxes usually don't seal well enough for long term storage.
    I've found they work for a weekend getaway, though. They hold up a tad longer for me if I stick a bead puck in there.

Quote Originally Posted by OrCal15 View Post
    I am going to be setting my cooler up, cleaning out tomorrow. I was just asking about the boxes because I have seen people use them and not use them. I really don't want to buy them for nothing. I have sticks sitting in my box that was usps'd to me... My humi is over flowing!
    Well, I wouldn't advocate using only a cigar box as a humidor. I would, however, advocate using cigar boxes in your coolerdor. Especially if you had a huge cooler you were using, you wouldn't want loose cigars everywhere - that would be an organizational nightmare. Maybe just get a few cigar boxes to keep things organized.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Not using boxes to store.. But to put in the cooler.

My local place.. seems high for empty boxes.

I'm still a newbie, and I am already looking into building one because my 120ct is already nearing capacity (Are really there any humidors that actually hold the count they are advertised for?). I haven't counted recently, but I think I'm at around 80-90 cigars. I could probably get some more in there, but wonder if it's going to hinder circulation.

I found this link when I was looking around for info on how to get started:

http://www.coolidor.com/

My Coolerdor project was delayed by the birth of my daughter 2 weeks ago, but my life is starting to regain some normalcy and I hope to get to this in the next week or 2. I already ordered my Heartfelt beads yesterday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post

I've found they work for a weekend getaway, though. They hold up a tad longer for me if I stick a bead puck in there.
    Yep, so does a zip-lock.....but it makes you look like an amateur, or so I've heard.

Blog Entries

Yep, so does a zip-lock.....but it makes you look like an amateur, or so I've heard.
    I keep cigars in zip locks for months at a time and they never get ruined. Of course I don't let the pros like grateful1, thinde or TheLostGringo ever see me carrying my cigars around in baggies so I put on a show with those guys and use my otter box for Wednesday Night Smokers. I think they're on to me though.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I keep 4 Igloo 150 coolidors at the house. I usually have a Zip lock bag in the truck. Zip locks work great for me. I also use Bic lighters almost exclusively. I got tired of having to constantly refill those fancy lighters and I always end up loosing. The Zip lock and Bic's make me look amateurish?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    I keep 4 Igloo 150 coolidors at the house. I usually have a Zip lock bag in the truck. Zip locks work great for me. I also use Bic lighters almost exclusively. I got tired of having to constantly refill those fancy lighters and I always end up loosing. The Zip lock and Bic's make me look amateurish?

My post was, as is typical of me, a sarcastic reference to a previous post on this board. I should have used the word read instead of heard, my bad.
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...089#post155089

I think I've posted a few times about my high regard for the bic lighter and $4 cutters.
    Last edited by ashauler; 09-15-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: post not quote

Blog Entries

Regardless that these instructions (written years ago) reference a hydrometer, this thread should be sticked. When it was, it probably saved us about a million newbie questions.

My high falootin' ass has a couple cigar caddys, but that's not the point.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

My post was, as is typical of me, a sarcastic reference to a previous post on this board. I should have used the word read instead of heard, my bad.

I think I've posted a few times about my high regard for the bic lighter and $4 cutters.
    , I got the sarcasm. I on the other hand can't stand cheapo (dull) cutters. I <3 my xikar. I have one for the truck and one for the house. Nothing like a sharp cut!
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

AND your high regard for grape White Owls and Backwoods Smokes.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information