Thread: Good Option/idea for a travel humi?

Default Good Option/idea for a travel humi?

I have a Xikar 15 ct travel humidor (no release valve). I heading south on a plan next week and plan on taking some smokes with me. I have not taken this on a plane yet but have read the reviews about trying to open the box after a flight.

That said if I put the whole box in a ziplock and close it but not lock it with the clamps for the flight do you think I will still have "frozen seal" issues? Anyone try something like this? I figure for the few hours on the plane the sticks wont have any drying issues in the ziplock and I can put a rubber band around the box so the sticks don't fall out.

Thoughts on this idea?
    Also anyone know if there are any issues with current TSA regulations about taking said box in a carry on? Or should I just send it below with my clubs?

2. Default

I would get a xicar with the pressure valve. i have one and have never had an issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty18 View Post
    I have a Xikar 15 ct travel humidor (no release valve). I heading south on a plan next week and plan on taking some smokes with me. I have not taken this on a plane yet but have read the reviews about trying to open the box after a flight.

That said if I put the whole box in a ziplock and close it but not lock it with the clamps for the flight do you think I will still have "frozen seal" issues? Anyone try something like this? I figure for the few hours on the plane the sticks wont have any drying issues in the ziplock and I can put a rubber band around the box so the sticks don't fall out.

Thoughts on this idea?
    Also anyone know if there are any issues with current TSA regulations about taking said box in a carry on? Or should I just send it below with my clubs?
    If you have it in carry on, it won't de-pressurize, and lock up. However, I didn't want any flak about it, so I just put it in my suitcase. Your method of leaving it cracked will probably work, but look a little hinky to the people inspecting the luggage.

It doesn't really take that long for it to de-pressurize. Maybe an hour or so after landing.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I've traveled with my Otter Box numerous times and only once had an issue with it not de-pressurizing by the time I got to the hotel. I simply pried it open gently with a pocket knife.
    Yay! Cigars!

Great, thanks for the heads up guys.
    That being the case, I will toss it in with the clubs and let it level out before trying to fight opening it. I don't want want have to worry about it in a carry on if I don't have to.

Thread Information