Thread: Mental State

Default Mental State

Question on my mind. Some of you may find it personal so understood if you just skim this. What is your mantra on mental state and cigar smoking?

I am not a daily smoker, yet, so I light up 2 maybe 3 times a week tops. I tend to follow the same rule with cigars as I do alcohol meaning that I never partake when I am in a bad mood. (bad mood can cover a nervous, angry, or depressed state of mind). My personal reason for this is I see cigars as a treat, a little something extra, and don't want to run to them to ease my wounds or fears. Again this is my personal belief according to standards I only hold myself to.

Today though I am traveling for business and had a very stressful day with the possibility that everything I have done today will only translate to wasted time and money. Although I am not in direct fault you know how these things go in the grown up world and Im sure if worse comes to worse I'll at least get a look. At the end of the day I did take a time out to recollect my thoughts and run events through my mind. I did so with a small cigar and a cup of coffee in direct contradiction to my rule. The cigar was good but definitely didn't help my anxiousness, This got me to thinking of what state of mind others who share my habit like to be in. So the question is posed....

Blog Entries

I usually have cigars at the end of the day, or close to it, so any anger or anxiety I experienced during the day has usually passed by then.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I know what you mean, SK...it stinks coming home from work in a bad mood, but having a cigar and a beer definitely squares things away for me so I have to say YES, I do tend to smoke when I'm not in the best of moods.

Blog Entries

I'm not trying to be pretentious, but I smoke a cigar because I want to. I could be in any state of mind.

State of mind may affect choice, as do location and what I would be doing. For example, I don't want any drama queen cigars while driving, so I usually smoke Padron on the road.

A good cigar tends to improve my mood regardless of what state of mind I'm in. I normally smoke in the evenings after dinner so it is a good way of letting the previous day go, clear my mind, and prepare for the next day mentally.
    "I would call that person a puffnozzle" ~mrtr33

Blog Entries

I won't drink when depressed, but that's about it. Unless I'm really really depressed, then it's more of something to look forward to......

To address your question, I smoke less often than you do. For me, smoking a cigar (usually) is still an experience, each and every time. It forcibly removes me from my life, and makes me slow down. I'm not one to get too overly anxious about things, though.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by TachyCoventry View Post
    A good cigar tends to improve my mood regardless of what state of mind I'm in. I normally smoke in the evenings after dinner so it is a good way of letting the previous day go, clear my mind, and prepare for the next day mentally.
    I'm much the same. I could have a good day, or a bad day, and sitting down with a cigar makes a bad day better, and a good day great. Just sorta helps no matter what is occurring in my world.

I'm in the same boat as mrtr33.
    Only enjoy a cigar 3-4 times a month, and I try to make the occasion special with a good drink and a good conversation with good friends. I make myself slow down and savor every nuance of all the goodness.

Thread Information