Thread: wow a post about cigars

Question wow a post about cigars

what is the best way to put out a cigar for later smoking.
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it never gets you anywhere,.....write that down" -Van Wilder

Blog Entries

I just let it burn itself out in the ashtray. You may hear people say "Use a Cigar Savor which will extinguish it right away." but it realy makes no difference at all.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

TonyDogs Guest

Default Just leave it alone!

I will just leave the cigar in the ash tray. I will not stomp out the cherry or anything.
    Then when I go back to light it I just knock off the ash and light that baby up again.
    I will never let a cigar sit more than 24 hours before getting back to finish it.

I also never ever ever put a half smoked cigar in your humidor.

Thats my Take

TonyDogs

I've run into two schools of thought on this issue.

Either letting it burn out on its own or cutting it below the ash where you don't feel any heat.

Personally I let it go out on its own, carefully tap off the ash and put it in a zip lock with a small piece of cedar I have. I've been told not to put it back in your humidor as it will alter the smell and taste of the cigars in there. When I come back to it, I carefully blow into it to clear out the ash that may be trapped in it which would affect the draw. Light as normal.
    Life is beautiful, death is peaceful. It's the transition that's bothersome.
    -Isaac Asimov

what if, i dont have time to let it burn out. for example while on break at work. would it be possible to cut it with a guiotene, without damaging the wrapper.
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it never gets you anywhere,.....write that down" -Van Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis4082
    what if, i dont have time to let it burn out. for example while on break at work. would it be possible to cut it with a guiotene, without damaging the wrapper.

This is a tough one. It really goes smoke by smoke. If you cigar is burning hot the wrapper just below the burn line could end up being to brittle (dried out, partially cooked) to cut. If you can't just let it go out as discussed further up this thread you may want to look into a storage tube for partially smoked cigars. Most have a screen at the bottom. They are designed so that if you put them in ash down as the cigar puts it self out the ashes will, or should, fall through the screen. I have never used one so I can't comment on its effectiveness.

Blog Entries

Well if that be the case jdavis, then use a Cigar Savor. You put it inside the tube, screw the cap on and the cigar goes out immediately because of lack of oxygen.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    Well if that be the case jdavis, then use a Cigar Savor. You put it inside the tube, screw the cap on and the cigar goes out immediately because of lack of oxygen.

with those being pricey and hard to find, my cigar shop has a cigar in a glass tube, would this glass tube be sufficient.

Yeah never put the cigar in the humidor even if you cut it below the ash. I did that once and it ruined the other cigars in there. Good thing I had cheap smokes in there anyway (some bundle that came with the humidor). I had to get rid of them and then clean it out with a damp cloth and air out the whole thing for a while till anything else went back into it.

A re-lit cigar rarely tastes nearly as good as the first time IMHO, regardless of how it's extinguished. Sucking in ash dust ruins the experience. Letting it burn out, cutting the ash end off, and blowing it out makes the best of a bad practice in my experience.

Alternatively, they make many small cigars that should be helpful to you. Cohiba Pequenos and CAO Brazilia Cariocas are my fav's so far. They all come in a handy tin for easy carry too! Their small size makes them an ideal handout for folks who want to try a cigar for fun too. Many are intimidated by a larger cigars size as they don't know if they'll like it or not and don't want to waste it.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 07-14-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Default Relighting a cigar.....

that's a sin. Cigar-Savor ( just my opinion guys )

NO cigar tastes the same after a relight. I do admit some fair better than others but none taste the same even after being out for ten minutes let alone hours.

Why not find a short smoke that you might like for the times when you can't smoke a whole cigar?

For example, Punch makes a great Panatela. They come 10 to a tin for around $10 and being a 4.5" x 29 ring smoke they're nice and quick. All of your cigar brands offer small cigars. Usually sold ten or twelve to a tin. Inexpensive too. Perfect if you have to put it out early of just need a quick smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    that's a sin. Cigar-Savor ( just my opinion guys )

NO cigar tastes the same after a relight. I do admit some fair better than others but none taste the same even after being out for ten minutes let alone hours.

Why not find a short smoke that you might like for the times when you can't smoke a whole cigar?

For example, Punch makes a great Panatela. They come 10 to a tin for around $10 and being a 4.5" x 29 ring smoke they're nice and quick. All of your cigar brands offer small cigars. Usually sold ten or twelve to a tin. Inexpensive too. Perfect if you have to put it out early of just need a quick smoke.

My experience with small cigars/cigarillos is that they lack flavor. About the only exception so far has been Camacho Machitos. But I haven't tried too many types yet so there is still hope.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Amanda Guest

I hardly ever put out a cigar before I finish it. Only once did I re-light a cigar I'd already put out and wasn't impressed with the taste. Usually, if I know I only have time for a quick smoke (like on break from work), I'll have a cigarette. That's rarely a problem in the summer, but when classes start again it could become one since I don't want to be smoking cigarettes between classes, but at the same time don't want to ruin a good cigar by only smoking part of it and then putting it out to go to my next class.

As for extinguishing the cigars, I learned quickly not to squash them out in the ashtray or they stink like hell and my roommate bitches me out...lol. Now, I always just let the cigar burn out when I'm done with it.

Cool

Or, if someone in a public (outdoor) area is giving you the evil eye while you are smoking, make it a habit to smash out the cigar to make sure it emits noxious odors. I do.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

If you need to smoke on break, go with something like a petit corona. You can usually clip the lit end off of these and it won't destroy the wrapper.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

I have used a cutter and cut off the lit end..... what I have also found out is that sometimes ya have to cut pretty far down in order to get all the hot out. I have also noticed a difference in the taste of an already good cigar if it is left to go out on its own. The tast seems to improve, I was wondering if this could be from the tobacco "cooling down" in temperature ?

I've never found a cigar that tastes as good on relighting after more than an hour or two. For the same reason I don't put burnt cigars in my humidor I would not put a single burnt cigar in a tube and expect that it would come out as i left it. The obnoxious odours would be even more intense in a small area, I would leave the cigar out and then just knock the ash off when I go back and hope for the best.

I agree with some of the others on going with a smaller cigar for the breaks. Now bring in the devil http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=272414 here is a link to a cigar savor on cigarbid, when I grabbed the link they were at 8 bucks.

Thread Information