Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take for you to develop your "nose"?

I would describe "horsey" as Hay or straw.

Some might say "My horse tastes like raisins"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WIP View Post
    I would describe "horsey" as Hay or straw.

Some might say "My horse tastes like raisins"

ashauler knows all about how horsey tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    ashauler knows all about how horsey tastes.
    Yummmmmmmy.

Blog Entries

I really, really like horsey sauce on my curly fries from Arby's.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

With my miniscule experience with cigars, I am definitely not picking up anywhere near the amount of flavors that more experienced smokers are... hopefully my palate will wake up the same way it did with beer some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    I'm having a similar argument on a audiophile board about folks who think they can hear wire.

Doc.

I gotta ask...gearslutz?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by b.read View Post
    With my miniscule experience with cigars, I am definitely not picking up anywhere near the amount of flavors that more experienced smokers are... hopefully my palate will wake up the same way it did with beer some years back.

I gotta ask...gearslutz?
    Why don't you just enjoy your cigars. The point of cigar smoking is to relax. If you're sitting there thinking about what flavors you should be experiencing your not relaxing and wasting your money. In my opinion, of course.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Why don't you just enjoy your cigars. The point of cigar smoking is to relax. If you're sitting there thinking about what flavors you should be experiencing your not relaxing and wasting your money. In my opinion, of course.

Doc.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

It's funny you mention that...I actually first included that in the "first draft" of my post, but then deleted it as I didn't want it to be too long-winded.

I do currently, and will continue to enjoy my smokes without the complex flavors that others pick up... though at this stage of my experience I am looking forward to learning more so I can actually know a little something about what I'm smoking.

I guess my point is: Did I know shit about beer when I first starting drinking it? Hell no...but I still enjoyed it! I now know a few things about it and get more and more enjoyment out of each pint than I did when I first started...that's similar to the same kind of knowledge I look forward to having with cigars one day.

Doc.
    I would venture to guess that most of the people you seem to be looking down on do just that 99% of the time. The only times I will actually think hard about and try to find flavors in my cigars are when it comes to writing a review. I have said before that I agree tobacco tastes like tobacco but in a review you try to get the flavors across the best way possible now if I say a cigar has a sweet tobacco taste to it and a new smoker says well what do you mean by sweet tobacco I'm supposed to then say "Well it tastes like sweet tobacco you fuggin moron." no I need to try to put it to him the best I can so he has a better idea than simply sweet tobacco.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

In my opinion, tasting for the little extras is fun and relaxing. Each person is different, if it strains you too much to think about the tiny nuances, just smoke your cigar and forget about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by b.read View Post
    It's funny you mention that...I actually first included that in the "first draft" of my post, but then deleted it as I didn't want it to be too long-winded.

I do currently, and will continue to enjoy my smokes without the complex flavors that others pick up... though at this stage of my experience I am looking forward to learning more so I can actually know a little something about what I'm smoking.

I guess my point is: Did I know shit about beer when I first starting drinking it? Hell no...but I still enjoyed it! I now know a few things about it and get more and more enjoyment out of each pint than I did when I first started...that's similar to the same kind of knowledge I look forward to having with cigars one day.
    One of these days you'll be bopping along smoking a stick, maybe doing something else like reading or having a conversation and you'll draw on your cigar and exhale and say...WTF was that. hmmmmmm, another draw, yeah, that's kinda interesting, what the heck is that..........it's nice, reminds me of .....

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    I would venture to guess that most of the people you seem to be looking down on do just that 99% of the time. The only times I will actually think hard about and try to find flavors in my cigars are when it comes to writing a review. I have said before that I agree tobacco tastes like tobacco but in a review you try to get the flavors across the best way possible now if I say a cigar has a sweet tobacco taste to it and a new smoker says well what do you mean by sweet tobacco I'm supposed to then say "Well it tastes like sweet tobacco you fuggin moron." no I need to try to put it to him the best I can so he has a better idea than simply sweet tobacco.
    You got it backwards Nate. It's the chocolate tasters that do the looking down. We're just fighting back. Get used to it.

Doc.
    Doc

As a non-chocolate taster who's not opposed to one day tasting chocolate...can't we all just get along?

Edit (just saw your post)

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    One of these days you'll be bopping along smoking a stick, maybe doing something else like reading or having a conversation and you'll draw on your cigar and exhale and say...WTF was that. hmmmmmm, another draw, yeah, that's kinda interesting, what the heck is that..........it's nice, reminds me of .....
    Looking forward to that... On a few occasions I've sat down with the same stick that I've just read a review of and tried to see if I can match up with their findings...it didn't work out so well. But then again, once I realized that I'm still trying to get my humidor just "right" for me, I figured it was a moot point for the time being. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it though.
    Last edited by b.read; 05-24-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Blog Entries

You got it backwards Nate. It's the chocolate tasters that do the looking down. We're just fighting back. Get used to it.

Doc.
    Chocolate! Chocolate!!! CHOCOLATE!!!!!

Chocolate (cocoa, but not a baker's chocolate, and a touch of lavender & pork loin) tasting armys unite!!!!!

Will

Uncle Tupelo

15. Default

Just say no to Gustatory Hallucinations!

Doc.
    Doc

Blog Entries

Just say no to Gustatory Hallucinations!

Doc.
    Gimme Chocolate instead.

Blog Entries

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight ...

I've got my cigar rag, text books
    Lead me to the station
    Yeah, I'm off to the cigar tasting war
    I've got my traveldor, my heavy boots
    I'm smokin’ in the rain
    Gonna smoke till my lips are raw

C.A. kid, C.A. kid, second generation
    And I'm a soldier at thirteen
    C.A. kid, C.A. kid, realization
    There's no easy way to be free
    No easy way to be free

It's a hard, hard world

I left my doctor's penicillin prescription bungalow behind me
    I left the door ajar
    I left my vacuum flask
    Full of hot tea and sugar (and cocoa, mint julep, touch of leather and smoked almonds)
    Left the keys right in my car

C.A. kid, C.A. kid, second generation
    Only half way up the tree
    C.A. kid, C.A. kid, I'm a relation
    I'm a soldier at sixty-three
    No easy way to be free

C.A. kid, C.A. kid

Keep away old man, you won't fool me
    You and your pre-boom history won't rule me
    You might have been a fighter, but admit you failed
    I'm not affected by your blackmail
    You won't blackmail me

I've got my cigar rag, text books
    Lead me to the station
    Yeah, I'm off to the cigar tasting war
    I've got my kit bag, my heavy boots
    I'm smokin’ in the rain
    Gonna smoke till my lips are raw

C.A. kid, C.A. kid, slip out of trouble
    Slip over here and set me free
    CA kid, CA kid, second generation
    You're slidin down the hill like me
    No easy way to be free
    No easy way to be free
    No easy way to be free

Uncle Tupelo

LMAO

19. Default

Just saying no may not be enough for you, Will, but there is hope. Drugs! Unfortunately anti-psychotic medications have side effects, one of which is to make food taste like...(gasp!)Tobacco!

Doc.
    Doc

Blog Entries

Just saying no may not be enough for you, Will, but there is hope. Drugs! Unfortunately anti-psychotic medications have side effects, one of which is to make food taste like...(gasp!)Tobacco!

Doc.
    Or Chocolate....many amazing compounds to be found there.

Thread Information