Thread: Puro Sampler

Default Puro Sampler

Does anyone know of a puro sampler pack for purchase at a decent price? I am wanting to compare different tobaccos so I can better understand the appellation differences.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WIP View Post
    Does anyone know of a puro sampler pack for purchase at a decent price? I am wanting to compare different tobaccos so I can better understand the appellation differences.
    Try the newbie sampler thread....ask the next up sponsor if they can hook you up with only puros.

Blog Entries

Padron

Oh wait, you mean from different countries? I'm not aware.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Do a little research and figure out which cigars on your "to try" list are puros. You could probably put together a better sampler yourself. Otherwise, newb sampler like ashauler said.

I don't really have a "Must try" list. I just go with my gut when I purchase.

Blog Entries

From the last 2 PPPs, here is a list of the puro's that were smoked (might be helpful):

Cub - Partagas Serie D
    Nic - Oliva Serie V
    Dom - Para Ti Canonazos
    Nic - San Cristobal Classico
    Nic - Illusione CG4
    Hon - Camacho Triple Maduro
    Nic - Man O' War Puro Authentico
    Nic - Tatuaje Havana VI
    Hon - Camacho Coyolar Puro
    Hon - Punch Gran Puro
    Nic - Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo
    Cos - Vogel Green Label
    Nic - Oliva Serie V
    Nic - Padron '64 Anniversary
    Nic - Padron 4000
    Nic - Casa Magna
    Nic - Don Pepin Garcia JJ
    Nic - Perdomo Lot 23
    Ecu - Puros de Armando Ramos
    Cub - Vegas Robaina
    Dom - Litto Gomez Diez Americano
    Dom - Opus X
    Nic - Old Henry
    Nic - El Baton
    Nic - Brick House
    Cub - Bolivar Royal Corona
    Pan - Joyas de Panama
    Col - Bravo Colombian Gold
    Per - San Martin
    Dom - Augusto Reyes Nativo

My recommendations from Nic, Dom, and Hon would be:
    Padron '64 Anniversary
    Opus X
    Camacho Triple Maduro
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Thanks for the list. That should be a lot of help.

I just sent a PM to BadWhale (newbie swap) to see if he wants to work with me on this. If he doesn't, is there anyone that would want to put together a $40 pack for me?

BadWhale is out. Anyone in? If not, I will hunt some singles down myself.

Blog Entries

Almost all premium cigars sold in the USA are made of blends of tobacco; not only of primings, but also from different regions. Whether the regions are in the same country isn't the issue; the blend is the thing (and seed, of course). Yes, market generalities can be made at the country level, but these are market-driven differences in blending, not inherent differences (which I assume by your use of appellation). For example, Opus X and LGD are both famous Dominican brands; yet both are not the stereotypical mild Dominican cigars.

I understand that. I have just read that a person with more experience can tell the difference between different countries of origin. I would like to get to this point as well. Kind of like Terroir in wine, each country should have a distinctive flavor note.

Blog Entries

I understand that. I have just read that a person with more experience can tell the difference between different countries of origin. I would like to get to this point as well. Kind of like Terroir in wine, each country should have a distinctive flavor note.
    Good luck on your quest. The list above is very good. I'd add the Torano single region smokes.

Blog Entries

IMHO, terroir in wine is regional, not country-wide. I don't think New York and California are the same terroir, or that Burgundy or Bordeaux are the same terroir.

I'm sure folks can tell a typical Dominican from a typical Nicaraguan - but my thesis is that is due to market influence, not terroir per se.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    IMHO, terroir in wine is regional, not country-wide. I don't think New York and California are the same terroir, or that Burgundy or Bordeaux are the same terroir.

I'm sure folks can tell a typical Dominican from a typical Nicaraguan - but my thesis is that is due to market influence, not terroir per se.
    Since many cigars are blended with tobacco's from different regions, it can often be difficult to pick out the exact country of origin. But - in that - there are some very nice blends.

Your selection of a "favorite" cigar is solely based on your own personal taste. That said - the quest for the "right" smoke is the best part of the process...

And - do not deviate from the Newbie Sampler path. It is there for a reason...

I agree that terror is regional, but you can definitely tell the difference between a wine made in the US, versus a wine made in France, versus a wine made in Spain, etc.

I guess I am looking for cigars that are a good representation of the different countries of origin.

As for the newbie sampler thread, I may have the dough to go that route soon, but I have to wait until I have cash. Convincing the wife to let me further fill my humi is difficult. According to her, I should have enough to last me a couple of months. I am working with her on the idea that cigars should be aged similar to wine.

Thread Information