Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man O War et al.

1. Default Man O War et al.

Question for those far wiser than I.

I bought a 5 pack of the original Man O Wars when I first got into cigars, I liked them but I certainly wouldn't hail them as something to write home about.

Now I see the Armada's available at $499.00 for a box (down from $640) is this just crazy advertising hoping that people with more money than sense will buy them just because they're exclusive <read expensive>?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the world of cigar marketing.

Marketing bullshit.

I picked up a sampler around Christmas that included an Armada in it. IMO the original MOWs are better. But my favorite MOWs are the Puro Authenticos. Another marketing ploy as well, but the smokes are great and you can get them cheap on cbid.

Blog Entries

Speaking of cigar marketing, guess who's back:
    www.samlecciacigarco.com

BTW, the Armada box is 32 cigars, so the price per stick is still ... high.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    www.samlecciacigarco.com
    I've seen something else about that. Who is he and should I care??

ETA: Googled Sam Leccia. My question was answered.
    Last edited by Mizicke5273; 05-25-2011 at 09:06 AM.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

www.samlecciacigarco.com

Geesh, who is he tryin' to be, Kid Rock?

Blog Entries

Sorry, Sam worked at Oliva and came up with the "Nub," one of best cigar marketing efforts in recent memory. There was a parting of ways between Sam and Oliva a few months ago, and now he's back in the industry.

ETA: Jamie, you'll love Sam's press release, see pic at thecigarfeed.com/?p=6484
    Last edited by craig; 05-25-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Blog Entries

double robo 5x60 & double churchie 7x60

Uh-huh....
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

www.samlecciacigarco.com

- He's wearing a scarf!
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Sorry, Sam worked at Oliva and came up with the "Nub," one of best cigar marketing efforts in recent memory. There was a parting of ways between Sam and Oliva a few months ago, and now he's back in the industry.

ETA: Jamie, you'll love Sam's press release, see pic at thecigarfeed.com/?p=6484
    Recent memory, yes. Fuente pulls marketing bullshit all the time with Opus and Anejo. Dare I even say that the Padron family reserve stuff is marketing bullshit too. There's some guy named Pete and some tat-something cigars that come to mind too.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

LMFAO......couldn't have said it better than this guy:
    http://thecigarfeed.com/?p=6484
    "Go away Sam! Large RG cigars aren’t cool, in fact, they suck. Hard. Look we get it, you want the biggest possible shafts in your mouth, preferably as short as possible, too, but they suck, just like your terrifically arrogant press release. Real aficionados couldn’t care less about you or your releases. Do us a favor and just quit now before you look like an even bigger jackass.
    Sorry, this press release was just so bad I couldn’t not mouth off…or not use double negatives."

Geesh, what a shocker here (same source as link above):
    " No word on when this will be released, factory or price point, but he is taking orders."

Why is he always looking to my left? What is over there?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    "Go away Sam! Large RG cigars aren’t cool, in fact, they suck. Hard. Look we get it, you want the biggest possible shafts in your mouth, preferably as short as possible, too, but they suck, just like your terrifically arrogant press release. Real aficionados couldn’t care less about you or your releases. Do us a favor and just quit now before you look like an even bigger jackass.
    Sorry, this press release was just so bad I couldn’t not mouth off…or not use double negatives."
    I've smoked some of the Nubs and have even posted on this site that I didn't mind them. With that being said, upon reflection they were pretty much average and I wasn't able to find the "sweet spot". Either way, that post was awesome!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Recent memory, yes. Fuente pulls marketing bullshit all the time with Opus and Anejo. Dare I even say that the Padron family reserve stuff is marketing bullshit too. There's some guy named Pete and some tat-something cigars that come to mind too.

Will
    I agree Will. I can say that I believe that the increase in marketing gimmics and campaigns are the result of crowding in the cigar marketplace. Most of these guys are looking for any competitive advantage they can find and new lines every year, limited editions, and marketing crap seem to be what they reach for. From a business standpoint I get it, from a cigar smoker standpoint I sometimes get a laugh out of it but most of the time it's just more noise.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Quote Originally Posted by denver24 View Post
    I've smoked some of the Nubs and have even posted on this site that I didn't mind them. With that being said, upon reflection they were pretty much average and I wasn't able to find the "sweet spot". Either way, that post was awesome!
    I agree. I recently smoked a Nub Habano and it was just alright. If it had been really good I would have been pissed off because it was too short!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post

Geesh, what a shocker here (same source as link above):
    " No word on when this will be released, factory or price point, but he is taking orders."
    Hey.....I kinda like the 777 6X60 Maduro's.
    I hate them in Connies, I smokes a 5 Vegas Gold 60 the other night. It sucked.
    But, I think the size in a maduro makes for a very cool smoke. Cool as in not hot.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

To continue the threadjack, Oliva sues Sam over violating 5 year non-compete agreement.

Source: thecigarfeed.com/?p=7118

Blog Entries

LMAO at the little fan-boys rushing to Sammy's defense.

Wonder whose dime Sammy got all his fame on?

Blog Entries

He made them a few dimes when Oliva had a stagnant (relatively) product line, so it looks to me that both Sam and Oliva used each other fairly equally.

Blog Entries

He made them a few dimes when Oliva had a stagnant (relatively) product line, so it looks to me that both Sam and Oliva used each other fairly equally.
    Well, I would call that an employer/employee relationship. Oliva provided the resources for Sammy to be his bad-ass creative self......why should they not expect the reward from same?

Thread Information