Premise

I was talking to ashauler and a few others in chat the Thursday before Good Friday, and Padilla 1932s came up in the discussion. I commented on the fact that I bought some from CBid earlier this year and they seemed off compared to others I’ve smoked before. After talking to ashauler a few minutes, I mentioned I had some older 1932s still in the coolers and that maybe I would do a comparison review between them. Well, it didn’t take me lone to decide to actually do the review and in fact I reviewed them that night.

The Cigars:
1) Padilla 1932 Toro from 5/6/2009
2) Padilla 1932 Toro from 1/20/2011

Differences in Apperance:
1) Bands are different. Padilla is written in a completely different font.
2) The 2009 is rougher and less refined looking.
3) The wrapper on the 2009 didn’t go all the way to the foot of the cigar, it was ~1mm shorter.
4) The 2011 comes in cello, the 2008s and 2009s didn’t

Padilla 1932 Toro from 5/6/2009

Movie: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Drink: Glenlivet 18 and a Diet Coke
Where: Basment
Date: 4/21/2011

Prelight
• Slight woody taste with possible hints of cherry/vanilla
• I also picked up a slight musty tone as well.

1st
• Loads of spice throughout the entire puff. Start to finish with spice but a smooth spice. The taste is very smooth and full.
• Very spicy on the nasal exhale………very very spicy. It is actually borderline overwhelming to be honest.
• After about ½ in. to 1 in., the spice subsided a bit and continued to fade gradually. It’s still smooth and a woody taste has begun to appear, sort of like a charred or musty wood, as well a slight hint of almonds on the aftertaste.
• An uneven burn began to develop towards the end of the first 3rd.

2nd
• The spice has continued to fade gradually, though the slight woody taste has also peaked and began to fade at this point.
• At the end of the 2nd third, the cigar started to become slightly harsh. So I purged it and touched up the uneven burn.

3rd
• The spice began to pick up again in the final third, also the harshness has disappeared.
• The musty woody taste reappeared about halfway through the final third.
• I did one more purge for good measure before I put this smoke down.

Final Thoughts
• Well this was a total spice bomb in the first 3rd. As I said, it was almost overwhelmingly spicy, especially on the nasal exhale. But still managed to be smooth throughout the entire smoke.
• Nice and complex. Full bodied and good.

Pictures:

Padilla 1932 Toro from 1/20/2011

Movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Drink: Glenlivet 18 and a Diet Coke
Where: Basement
Date: 4/21/2011

Prelight
• Hardly any taste at all
• Better construction than the 09, the wrapper extends the whole way to the foot.

1st
• Easy to light
• Nowhere near as much spice, especially on the nasal exhale. Though there is a very feint hint of a woody, musty taste.
• Not much going on, almost unnoticeable taste, not a whole lot of spice either.
• Even towards the end of the 1st third, the smoke hasn’t changed at all. Slight bit of spice, and not as smooth as the 09.

2nd
• Still nothing really going on with this smoke. Slight bit of spice, but right after the 09; there is no comparison.
• Very even burn

3rd
• Still no change.
• Very disappointing compared to the 09.

Final Thoughts
• Very one dimensional
• Decent smoke

Pictures: