Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant!

Default Rant!

I had set aside $100 yesterday for the newbie sampler thread. On my way home from work, my car developed a loud valve "clack", so I put it in the shop this morning. Looks like the $100 plus a large chunk of savings is going to the mechanic. I will continue to smoke through my Gurkha sampler for now.

Sorry for the rant. Let's just hope the bill isn't to expensive. They had the car all day and I missed their call on my way home from work. They were closed by the time I got home.

That's a bummer...had to take mine in for a new timing belt not too long ago. NO fun...

But, on the bright side (as small as it is) you will be making more room in the humi for the awesome newbie sampler you'll have later on.

Good point. Although I am not against putting the Bandidos in a jar with a crystal humidifier to make room.

My internal struggle comes from a desire to AGE my cigars. I am keeping one of each of the gurkhas, my RP V1992 and the sea sprite for a few years. That only leaves me with four good cigars and a random 50 or so of the Bandidos (not good for sitting and relaxing).

I am going to keep saving random dollar bills and buying singles from the local guy when I can. This way, the wife doesn't hassle me about spending the money as she smokes one of my good ones (like her hair crap is less expensive.)

Blog Entries

I didn't find any benefit to ageing RP 1992 (or 1990, or OWR) myself. Most $3 cigars are for smoking.

5. Default

The only cigars worth aging are illegal. The rest are already sufficiently aged, in my opinion, of course.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I didn't find any benefit to ageing RP 1992 (or 1990, or OWR) myself. Most $3 cigars are for smoking.
    I am afraid I paid more than that, but it was at a local establishment so I understand why.

Do you mind if I ask why? Do they not age well, or do they seem unchanged after a few years? Maybe I will smoke it after I get through the four gurkhas.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    The only cigars worth aging are illegal. The rest are already sufficiently aged, in my opinion, of course.

Doc.
    I would like to hear more about your opinion. Is it because the finest tobacco comes from ISOM, because they are already aged to their peak, or because they aren't built to age any further?

I realize you kinda answered it in your post, but I would like to know more.

I guess it is good to note that I have never smoked a real "premium" cigar. I am a newb to the core.

Blog Entries

It's generally considered tacky to state the trade amount of your newbie sampler publically.

Sorry about your car problems. I'm going through a spurt of that right now.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Sorry about my tacky side. I will remember that for the future. I am attempting not to ruffle feathers again.

Blog Entries

I don't know why a particular cigar ages the way it does or doesn't. I just know that I enjoyed their tastes a lot more when they were younger.

BTW, if you like them, then the same cigar sans band and box and not color-matched is $45
    for a bundle of 15.

Blog Entries

Car troubles, been there, done that.
    Most NC cigars are aged prior to rolling, and many are aged again after rolling.....therefore, the cigars are intended to be in smokeable condition when purchased.

I got my car back. Mechanics are expensive.

Thanks for the advice on the cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by WIP View Post
    I got my car back. Mechanics are expensive.
    I hear you. I do a lot of my own repairs to save some money, but sometimes the job is too difficult or requires too much time. I need to do the timing belt in my car and I am still trying to decide whether to drop the $800 and have a mechanic do it, or buy the parts for $400 and do it myself.

Mark

I used to do my own repairs, now I work 6 days a week. When it comes to the newer cars, the time and headache aren't worth the money I would save.

Blog Entries

Then why bitch about the money.......you've justified it.

Because I wish I could have time and money, but alas I have to work for the nice things in life. It was just a rant.

Blog Entries

Well, you'll have to excuse my cynicism. It's not uncommon for rants that begin with "Man, I was gonna buy these cigars, but...." to be thinly veiled mooch attempts.

ETA: I work for a livin' too. ;)

I am not asking for anything, nor do I want people to offer me handouts. I am not a mooch. I prefer to work for my things, that way I appreciate them more. I will be able to get in on the sampler thread soon enough. I was just letting off steam. Just because I justified the expense doesn't mean I have to like it. I am sure you know what I mean.

Blog Entries

Nope, never any problems here in Utopia.

Thread Information