Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do your Colibri lighters last?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    Yes, that's what I mean. And yes, they do work great, when they work. All the one's I've owned except one break after a few weeks.

Well, I own a lot of torch lighters (nine I think), most of them Colibris and I've had problems with only one of them, so I'll cross my fingers and hope they keep working well!!
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

2. Default

I have a colibri that up until tonight would only work after it was turned all the way up and this was after colibri supposedly fixed it

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by southbark
    I have a colibri that up until tonight would only work after it was turned all the way up and this was after colibri supposedly fixed it
    I am switching to matches

Quote Originally Posted by 55Kingpin
    I've had two Colibris over the past 6 years. One was given to me by my brother and it is a standard butane lighter with a "normal" flame. It has been a great lighter.

The other I've had about 3 years and it is the Colibri Trifecta ($100). I also have not had any problems out of it.

Note: It does take more care and maintainance to keep a nice lighter running. If you follow the manufacturers instructions you should be fine. YMMV.

I hate lighting with anything other than my Tri now.....esp. outdoors. It is HARD to get a good light with a Zippo or match outdoors. Last summer I was in Aruba (my Tri was confiscated by TSA at my local airport, they kept it for me until I got back) and I had to light with matches....it was PITA.
    My Dupont has never once given me a single problem and it has had almost no care. It's like owning a Glock. Run over it with a truck, drop it, get it dirty, doesn't matter, still works! Drop a Colibri and you'll be lucky if you don't bust all the parts inside. They are over-manufactured and overpriced pieces of crap! But that's just my opinion.

I asked the guy in my local shop what the return rate was on his Colibris and his reply was a very quick "HIGH".

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Default Yeah expensive is nice.......

I guess.

But I could never see the sense.

I use a refillable $4.99 torch lighter that my buddy gave me as a gag when he visited one of JR's shops down south. The thing has multi-colored flashing LEDs in the clear base that flash each time you light up. I've had it for TWO years now and use it daily. I DO refill with LAVA butane. That is the truth. Some butanes out there (like Ronson) are crap IMHO. The higher quality butanes make a difference.

Zippos are cool too but suck on a windy day. I use matches as well, preferably wooden since paper matches don't give you much time to light a cigar.

I use $5.00 cutters too. Double guilotine type and I have several laying around. One in the car, downstairs, upstairs, etc etc. If I lose one it's no big deal. They're cheap and they work.

In my opinion, stop wasting your money on pricey lighters and cutters. Spend the money on cigars or booze or what have you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    Yes, that's what I mean. And yes, they do work great, when they work. All the one's I've owned except one break after a few weeks.

I always got the $5 gas station jobbies and they would never last longer then a fill.... The colibri I just got has already been filled twice, no problem. I am thinking it will last me a while with some simple care.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by grand cru no 2
    My Dupont has never once given me a single problem and it has had almost no care. It's like owning a Glock. Run over it with a truck, drop it, get it dirty, doesn't matter, still works! Drop a Colibri and you'll be lucky if you don't bust all the parts inside. They are over-manufactured and overpriced pieces of crap! But that's just my opinion.

I asked the guy in my local shop what the return rate was on his Colibris and his reply was a very quick "HIGH".
    I agree. But my point was that if you take care of it it will last. Most of the lighters Colibri puts out are geared toward style/class, not ruggedness. If I'm tromping through the woods or doing something else where whatever I'm wearing could get wet or damaged I don't take my Trifecta with me.....

I like Zippos too but they aren't very good in the wind, and it seems like everytime I go to use one the fluid has evaporated, which you NEVER have to worry about with butane. I have a lighter that stays in a certain spot as "backup" hence it never gets used. I filled it up about three years ago and I just lit it up yesterday and it worked like a charm.....try that with a Zippo. YMMV.
    The heat around the corner....

Thread Information