Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do your Colibri lighters last?

Default How long do your Colibri lighters last?

I have bought about six or seven Colibris by now, and I've already had to send one back for warranty work. Anyone out there have any experience with Colibris, and if so, are they dependable for long periods of time?

Definitely happier with my Colibris than with the one novelty lighter I bought. The first time I refilled it, it falred into a huge flame about six inches high and burned out all the butane, so I pitched the stupid thing.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    I have bought about six or seven Colibris by now, and I've already had to send one back for warranty work. Anyone out there have any experience with Colibris, and if so, are they dependable for long periods of time?

Definitely happier with my Colibris than with the one novelty lighter I bought. The first time I refilled it, it falred into a huge flame about six inches high and burned out all the butane, so I pitched the stupid thing.
    My experience with Colibris is that they suck. I gave up on Colibris when they essentially become expensive disposable lighters for me. Pain in the ass sending then back to get fixed. Small tanks.

Blazer brand lighters are not as pretty but they are workhorses.

In either case, make sure you use quality triple refined butane fuel ( Lava is excellent if you can find it ) at all times .Totally empty the tank and blow out the jet with compressed air between fill ups.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

OK thanks, I'll start looking for Blazer brand instead.

Last edited by Hugh Jorgan; 07-14-2005 at 04:51 PM.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

i've had my colibri firebird for a couple months now and i love it. i've ran out of fuel once but that was because my wife was playing with it. refilling it was very easy.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

I've had my Colibri Tri-Cutta since January and it's been terrific. Colibri's are great because if you get one that combines as a cigar punch or cutter (like the Tri-Cutta) you don't have to go spend on a cutter afterwards, like a xilar or whatever they are called.

I really enjoy the tri-cutta, three different punch sizes accomodate any cigar. I prefer a punch to a cut though. Either way, buy your lighters from mydiscountlighters at ebay, they have the best prices.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    I've had my Colibri Tri-Cutta since January and it's been terrific. Colibri's are great because if you get one that combines as a cigar punch or cutter (like the Tri-Cutta) you don't have to go spend on a cutter afterwards, like a xilar or whatever they are called.

I really enjoy the tri-cutta, three different punch sizes accomodate any cigar. I prefer a punch to a cut though. Either way, buy your lighters from mydiscountlighters at ebay, they have the best prices.

Mydiscountlighter.com on ebay is the place I have bought most of my Colibri lighters from.

Quote Originally Posted by mithril
    i've had my colibri firebird for a couple months now and i love it. i've ran out of fuel once but that was because my wife was playing with it. refilling it was very easy.
    I have a Colibri firebird that worked great until about a week ago. Now the flame won't stay lit unless he flame adjustment is way up. It sputters and acts like it's out of gas. It's been doing this for about a week. I've emptied the whole tank and refilled it multiple times. Anyone have any suggestions?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
    In either case, make sure you use quality triple refined butane fuel ( Lava is excellent if you can find it ) at all times .Totally empty the tank and blow out the jet with compressed air between fill ups.

This is the secret! If you use something less than triple refined fuel you just wasted a nice lighter and a lot of money.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by VTCrosscut
    I have a Colibri firebird that worked great until about a week ago. Now the flame won't stay lit unless he flame adjustment is way up. It sputters and acts like it's out of gas. It's been doing this for about a week. I've emptied the whole tank and refilled it multiple times. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Use one of those "air in a can" or try and blow out any dust or lint that might have accumulated in the tip. That usuallty helps.

I use a $1.99 torch, when I use a torch.... I always try to use my Zippo

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    Use one of those "air in a can" or try and blow out any dust or lint that might have accumulated in the tip. That usuallty helps.

I use a $1.99 torch, when I use a torch.... I always try to use my Zippo
    exactly what Bkcloud suggests. you can find the air in office supply stores. also make sure the tank is completely empty before refilling.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Thanks, I'll give the compressed air a try. I've got a can around the shop. . . somewhere.

Ditto the Colibris suck statement. I have owned 2 and they were both returned within a months time. I use my Astros Zippo 98% of the time. I use one of my other zippos the other 2% of the time.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

14. Default

I've had two Colibris over the past 6 years. One was given to me by my brother and it is a standard butane lighter with a "normal" flame. It has been a great lighter.

The other I've had about 3 years and it is the Colibri Trifecta ($100). I also have not had any problems out of it.

Note: It does take more care and maintainance to keep a nice lighter running. If you follow the manufacturers instructions you should be fine. YMMV.

I hate lighting with anything other than my Tri now.....esp. outdoors. It is HARD to get a good light with a Zippo or match outdoors. Last summer I was in Aruba (my Tri was confiscated by TSA at my local airport, they kept it for me until I got back) and I had to light with matches....it was PITA.
    The heat around the corner....

My Trifecta is one of my favorites too, no problems with it yet. It always lights, never goes out even in the strongest winds (waiting for a hurricane to put that to the test, cause I'm gonna light up as the winds start to blow!), and looks great to boot. And like you said, I kept my instructions and I'm caring for it as instructed.

Granted, it's one of the most expensive Colibris I have bought. Some of the cheaper ones I have had some problems with.

(waiting for a hurricane to put that to the test, cause I'm gonna light up as the winds start to blow!),I.
    good luck with that it, looks evil
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it never gets you anywhere,.....write that down" -Van Wilder

Jet lighters are a PITA! They're always going out from one thing or another. The expensive one's seem little better than the cheap ones. The best one I ever had was a wholesale special bought from an online liquidator for a pittance. It lasted forever! It was called a "Fire Plug". Ugly as sin, but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    Jet lighters are a PITA! They're always going out from one thing or another. The expensive one's seem little better than the cheap ones. The best one I ever had was a wholesale special bought from an online liquidator for a pittance. It lasted forever! It was called a "Fire Plug". Ugly as sin, but it worked.

By "Jet Lighters" do you mean torch lighters? I love them because there is always some wind where I live and torches don't go out if they wind is blowing just a little bit but regular lighters do grrrr....

By "Jet Lighters" do you mean torch lighters? I love them because there is always some wind where I live and torches don't go out if they wind is blowing just a little bit but regular lighters do grrrr....

Yes, that's what I mean. And yes, they do work great, when they work. All the one's I've owned except one break after a few weeks.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    Yes, that's what I mean. And yes, they do work great, when they work. All the one's I've owned except one break after a few weeks.
    Get a Trifecta or an Oscar and report back!

And for the love of all that is Holy follow the DAMNED instructions people!

I think there are alot of people missing out on a easy/nice way to light up just because they've had a bad experience with a $5 gas station torch.
    The heat around the corner....

Thread Information