Thread: Box Pass?

Default Box Pass?

Ok, I know I'm new, but I figure that entitles me to ask dumb questions. I hate to admit it, but as much as I've come to love good cigars over the past 9-10 months or so, this is my first cigar forum I've ever seen let alone participated in. I looked around and figured out some questions I had for myself but still have a couple: 1) What the frig is a box pass/how does it work? 2) Since I'm new and have no reputation with anyone here, how do you go about participating in one? (I don't even know what it is so maybe I'll never want to participate, who knows.) Anyways, thanks for your insight to this in advance.

Matt

i''m still really new too, so i haven't participated (sp?) in a pass yet. but as i understand it, a list is made of people who want to participate in the pass. so, the first person in the list buts a bunch of cigars in box and sends them to the next person. that person takes some cigars out and replaces them with others (note: its not recommended to put crappy cigars in). he then sends it to the next person and it is repeated until it gets back to the first person. there is probably more to it, but this is what i've come to believe it is.

anyone can correct me on this.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bchem
    Ok, I know I'm new, but I figure that entitles me to ask dumb questions. I hate to admit it, but as much as I've come to love good cigars over the past 9-10 months or so, this is my first cigar forum I've ever seen let alone participated in. I looked around and figured out some questions I had for myself but still have a couple: 1) What the frig is a box pass/how does it work? 2) Since I'm new and have no reputation with anyone here, how do you go about participating in one? (I don't even know what it is so maybe I'll never want to participate, who knows.) Anyways, thanks for your insight to this in advance.

Matt

Mithril is absolutely correct...

A box pass is the sharing of cigars with others. It is intended to provide a means for guys to trade out for cigars they maybe cannot find at their store, or otherwise have access to. It creates a sense of community and responsibility to one another. It fosters the idea of "Pay it Forward", which many boards live by (in other words, be generous with others, and it will be repaid to you...)

There are very specific rules for participation to reduce the possibility of having an argument over any of the trades (i.e. - value for value, quality for quality, etc.). These are long held rules, established a long time ago and refined with time. If you're really interested in the typical rules, here's a link: Cigar Pass Rules

Essentially, you have one individual who decides to start a pass. That person offers up to other members of the board a pass, and asks for participants. Typically, brand new members are excluded (but not always) so that it reduces the possibility of someone walking away with the pass (remember, the one who started the pass usually puts 20 or so cigars into the pass, usually worth well over $100.00). The way you get into passes is participating on the board - people get to know and trust you. Maybe you do a small trade or two. They know you are good for holding up your end of the bargain.

Stick around - there will be more chances to become involved in a pass. It just takes a little patience!!!

great to know, will definitely check out the rules link, that should clear up some of my technical questions....as far as the small trades go....I saw a post about starting out newbies with some smokes or something like that but the exchange was supposed to be worth between $50 and $100.....not looking to spend that much right now, but I have an ok collection (i think) for someone new to cigars and would love to do some small trades....is there any etiquette involved in setting up a trade for say 3 or 4 cigars? do i just post a new topic? look for an existing one? I want to find someone that will appreciate the cigars i send them (i hate when i give someone a cigar like a VSG or an opus and they suck it down like it's a backwoods and say, "yeah, it was ok") but i also want to trade with someone who likes the same types of cigars i do so that I can expand my horizons and not end up with kaluahs or macanudos......

.....sorry, i'm rambling now....anyways, you can see that i still have tons of questions and don't know how things work around here......i suppose i'll just hang out for a bit to try and get a feel for the members before i get involved with any trades.....maybe this site will help me expand my tastes....i know what i like from my local tobacconist, but there is a limited selection there....oh well...thanks for the info

matt

Quote Originally Posted by bchem
    great to know, will definitely check out the rules link, that should clear up some of my technical questions....as far as the small trades go....I saw a post about starting out newbies with some smokes or something like that but the exchange was supposed to be worth between $50 and $100.....not looking to spend that much right now, but I have an ok collection (i think) for someone new to cigars and would love to do some small trades....is there any etiquette involved in setting up a trade for say 3 or 4 cigars? do i just post a new topic? look for an existing one? I want to find someone that will appreciate the cigars i send them (i hate when i give someone a cigar like a VSG or an opus and they suck it down like it's a backwoods and say, "yeah, it was ok") but i also want to trade with someone who likes the same types of cigars i do so that I can expand my horizons and not end up with kaluahs or macanudos......

.....sorry, i'm rambling now....anyways, you can see that i still have tons of questions and don't know how things work around here......i suppose i'll just hang out for a bit to try and get a feel for the members before i get involved with any trades.....maybe this site will help me expand my tastes....i know what i like from my local tobacconist, but there is a limited selection there....oh well...thanks for the info

matt

The newbie sampler thread posted by CC is a great way to go. I realize $50 or 100 is a lot, but you get a lot in return. It's not worth sending out less than $50.00 worth. I will tell you from past dealings with CC, you won't be sorry you did it...

As far as small trades - there will be opportunities from time to time. Just stick around and watch. Watch the "Free Cigar" thread for an opportunity to do a "PIF" (getting some cigars from one member, and you sending on some cigars to the next). It's a great way to do a trade and establishing your reputation, without breaking the bank!!!

Enjoy!

awesome.....i'm reading some completed pass threads over at cigar pass....very interesting....sounds like a great way to get to know people and to try new cigars.....i can't wait to get involved someday....thanks for your help...i'm sure i'll see you around

matt

Thread Information