Thread: Do different cigars react differently to RH levels?

Default Do different cigars react differently to RH levels?

Good morning! The reason I am wondering this is because last night I sat down to enjoy one of my Torano Loyals. I have had them in my humi that's been maintained at a steady 67% RH level since I got my Heartfelt beads. When I took it out to smoke, I gave it a quick squeez and it had a little give but not too soft. As I worked my way through the stick the burn was uneven, tight, slow burn, and low smoke yield on normal draw. Upon further inspection I realized that it was getting rather spongy too as I made my way into the 2nd half. I gave up as I got into my last 3rd because it had gotten even worse. All of these symptoms would lead me to believe that it was being over humidified. However, I smoked one of my Perdomo's the night before and it was perfect. I checked my other cigars in the humi and they all seem fine except for my other Loyal that I have. That one feels a little soft too. I have had both of them in my humi for about 3 weeks. As some of you may know from previous posts I was having some RH level stability issues until I got my beads. Prior to the beads my levels were never going above 72%, but there was just no consistancy. The cigars are a brand new release, and I know the ones I bought were some of the 1st ones Torano even had available for sale in the US. I did smoke one from the same box at the event where I bought them and there were no issues. Any suggestions you have would be great. I would really like to be abel to salvage the remaining one I have left.
    Last edited by DB17210; 08-20-2011 at 07:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Yes, to the title question.

Cello on or off? (seriously)
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Yes, to the title question.

Cello on or off? (seriously)
    Cello is on for all in my humi.

Blog Entries

Take the cello off the Torano and give it at least six weeks, twice that to be on the safe side. Manufacturers often ship their cigars fairly wet. Cello retards moisture gain/loss, and even without cello, a typical Cuban wrapper in a corona size retards moisture gain/loss to about (the equivalent of) 1% RH change per week (above 65% RH). Thus, keep the foot exposed, and perhaps clip the head. Torano's wrappers seem to me to be a bit on the oily side, which would slow the rate down quite a bit more. (Below the equivalent of 65%, tobacco is much more porous.)

As an aside, RH is just a convenient proxy for the moisture content of the tobacco leaf. We really want 11% - 13% of the cigar's weight to be water (IIRC), but there's no convenient, accurate, and non-destructive way of measuring that.

YMMV on all of the above.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Take the cello off the Torano and give it at least six weeks, twice that to be on the safe side. Manufacturers often ship their cigars fairly wet. Cello retards moisture gain/loss, and even without cello, a typical Cuban wrapper in a corona size retards moisture gain/loss to about (the equivalent of) 1% RH change per week (above 65% RH). Thus, keep the foot exposed, and perhaps clip the head. Torano's wrappers seem to me to be a bit on the oily side, which would slow the rate down quite a bit more. (Below the equivalent of 65%, tobacco is much more porous.)

As an aside, RH is just a convenient proxy for the moisture content of the tobacco leaf. We really want 11% - 13% of the cigar's weight to be water (IIRC), but there's no convenient, accurate, and non-destructive way of measuring that.

YMMV on all of the above.
    Thanks very much for the advice!

6. Default

Hello,
    I like pot cigarettes more than cigar. i think cigar is little bit more heavy that's why i prefer pot cigarettes or simple cigarettes.

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Hawtrey View Post
    Hello,
    I like pot cigarettes more than cigar. i think cigar is little bit more heavy that's why i prefer pot cigarettes or simple cigarettes.

thanks!!
    You're a funny, funny boy!!!

Now go way before mommy finds our you're playing on the internet again and sends you to the corner...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Hawtrey View Post
    Hello,

thanks!!
    Well, since I'm a glutton, I actually prefer cigar sized joints. Oh, welcome to the board, I sincerely hope we enjoy your stay.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Well, since I'm a glutton, I actually prefer cigar sized joints. Oh, welcome to the board, I sincerely hope we enjoy your stay.

I'm counting on that, Jamie!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I'm counting on that, Jamie!!!
    Really, this is a stroke of serendipity for me GG. Just yesterday, on my drive to the airport to pick up the plane, I was burning down a toro sized hooter and it did occur to me that, perhaps, a PC sized hooter would have been better. But, then again, it was gonna be a long flight and I needed to be in a "good mood" for the passengers as I gave the "This is the captain speaking" schtick.......

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Really, this is a stroke of serendipity for me GG. Just yesterday, on my drive to the airport to pick up the plane, I was burning down a toro sized hooter and it did occur to me that, perhaps, a PC sized hooter would have been better. But, then again, it was gonna be a long flight and I needed to be in a "good mood" for the passengers as I gave the "This is the captain speaking" schtick.......
    I hear you Jamie - "self medicating" for the right reasons is not wrong. Particularly if you have the stress of worrying about the lives of 200 passengers in your care!

...I can just hear your "this is the captain speaking" schtick... "

Whoah... DUDE! This is your captain speaking! Chill and take a pill, we're going to be cruising as high as we can go. Some say 20,000 feet, but I just like to say the sky is the limit! If you're not tripping now, you will be by the time we get to our destination. <Hey, Joe, where was it we're going again?!?> Oh, yeah... We're going to Montana! What?!? We're going to Montana?!? Why the hell would we go to Montana!?! Oh, yeah... Going to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon!!! Gawd I miss Frank Zappa... Cool - well - everyone chill and we'll get you there just as safe and sound as we can!... Sit back, smoke 'em if you got 'em, enjoy the flight.
    Last edited by ggiese; 09-30-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I hear you Jamie - "self medicating" for the right reasons is not wrong. Particularly if you have the stress of worrying about the lives of 200 passengers in your care!
    Man, don't I know it. Now, if I could just figure out how the Nav system mistook Bangledesh for Baltimore..........

Thread Information