Thread: My First Pipe Attempt

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Default My First Pipe Attempt

Well, I finally finished my pipe. I tried at first but failed on drilling my pipe and the shank cracked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0823111317.jpg 
Views:	846 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	2705

Well that was a total fail!!! Anyway tried again and this is what I ended up with.

Name:	0823111307.jpg 
Views:	1060 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	2706

Name:	0823111305a.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	2707
    Name:  0823111306a.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  0823111306.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  67.4 KB

The Pipe stem connection is not very good, but adequate. The bowl is made of Juniper and the stem out of pine. I have to come up with a way to makeshift a lathe situation so I can do a proper mortise and tenon connection. I want to get some caranuba wax to finish it up and make the pipe shine better. The stem was the hardest to do, and the drilling on it was very difficult. I would like to buy a few stems and do some pipes that way.

I plan on firing up this puppy tonight and see how it smokes. The tobacco hole was made specifically small (5/8") because i wanted a pipe to smoke for just a small amount of time. I am happy with my first effort ahem... second effort. I will be doing a few more in the future.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

This is awesome. Color me impressed. But why not just buy a stem first, then, for lack of a better description, build the pipe around that stem? You might have a better shot at getting the stem fitting better (especially if the stem was the hardest part), and you could focus more work on the finish. But what do I know?

Also, isn't juniper rather soft? I have a big block of jatoba (Brazilian cherry) I've been thinking might be cool to carve into a pipe, but procrastination rules around here.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    This is awesome. Color me impressed. But why not just buy a stem first, then, for lack of a better description, build the pipe around that stem? You might have a better shot at getting the stem fitting better (especially if the stem was the hardest part), and you could focus more work on the finish. But what do I know?

Also, isn't juniper rather soft? I have a big block of jatoba (Brazilian cherry) I've been thinking might be cool to carve into a pipe, but procrastination rules around here.

That's a good point! I may just have to make a stem first and do a bowl based on that stem. I have been looking at buying some stems. Trying to decide between acrylic, lucite and few others. It copper connection for the pipe made it easier to do but because of the flexibility of copper it was not exactly a good choice so that the two parts would marry better. I am hoping to figure out how to lathe out one and see how that goes. Got to makeshift a lathe first. I would like to make several different pipes using different woods. Juniper is kind of soft, but it will be interesting what properties that wood lends to the taste of the tobacco. Thanks for your comments!
    Last edited by Roger; 08-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Well it smoked ok but I think I need to make a new stem for it. I prolly will do that and make it longer as the smoke seemed to be a bit on the hot side when I was smoking it.

Very cool pipe, I am impressed for your "first" try.

Live each day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right.

6. Default

Not too bad...Be careful of alternative woods though. Some wood can taint a smoke while others can be toxic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Not too bad...Be careful of alternative woods though. Some wood can taint a smoke while others can be toxic.
    Do you think that the properties of Juniper are toxic? I am not sure. It did not seem to effect the taste of the smoke too much... except of course the burning off of the saps at first. After I get another stem made for it I will try it out again.

8. Default

I reall don't know...Several pipe retailers offer pre-drilled kits you can carve and stain on your own. Google pipe makers forums...They are several of them full of info.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Do you think that the properties of Juniper are toxic? I am not sure. It did not seem to effect the taste of the smoke too much... except of course the burning off of the saps at first. After I get another stem made for it I will try it out again.
    Fuck No....They make Gin out of Juniper berries.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Fuck No....They make Gin out of Juniper berries.
    You are correct...Might make a gin and tonic tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    You are correct...Might make a gin and tonic tonight.
    I may join you. I don't feel right today. They sent me out in a very old straight-job that had exhaust fumes pouring into the cab. Beside the dizziness and pounding headache my neck muscles hurt. Maybe the Gin will help
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Wood used to make pipes is generally kiln dried to remove virtually all of the moisture. I believe sometimes they are boiled as well to remove the sap.

Thread Information