Thread: Madelaine Hygrometer

garryyjr Guest

Question Madelaine Hygrometer

I bought one of these for 20 bucks. It shows me the % but not temp.. any ideas on how to get it or do i have a defective one?

Noob, I searched and came with nothing for this topic. Thanks.

Blog Entries

I don't know.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
    I bought one of these for 20 bucks. It shows me the % but not temp.. any ideas on how to get it or do i have a defective one?

Don't have one, so I can't offer specific info,,,,,,,, perhaps contact your vendor.

Welcome to the board.

4. Default

Seems I've seen this question before. The cigar community is a small world.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

garryyjr Guest

Default Re: Madelaine Hygrometer

Only thing I can think of is it is to cold or warm.. But inside my house is 66-68 degrees. The hygrometer goes to 32-120 degrees.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Then it appears that is not your problem. Best bet is to call the vendor you bought it from or the manufacturer.
    "I would call that person a puffnozzle" ~mrtr33

Sounds defective to me send it back.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

If you're not showing anything at all on the tempurature side, it's defective. Contact the manufacturer and they will replace it.

I bought one of these Madelaine hygrometers last November and after setting it up according to their instructions, the hygrometer side of it was wayyyyy off. I contacted them and told them about it and they shipped a replacement immediately.

In the mean time, my wife bought me a nice 500 count humi for x'mas. It came with a POS analog hygrometer too so I read some reviews and settled on a Caliber III hygrometer.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Humido.../dp/B0007W1EA6

Just FYI, I bought the Madelaine without reading any reviews because XiKar bought them out and I thought if XiKar liked them, they have to be good. I no longer feel that way about this hygrometer and if you care to keep reading, you'll see why.

All 3 of the Caliber's and the replacement Madelaine arrived the same day. The Caliber 3's are (according to their documentation) set from factory and do not require the salt test. In fact, the paper with the hygro says flat out not to do that as it could damage it. I put all 3 Caliber's and the 1 replacement Madelaine in my 500 count humi (without setting up the Madelaine) and all 3 Caliber's showed the exact same RH and temp the next morning. The Madelaine showed the right temp but the RH was about 15% lower than the Calibers.

So last night before bed, I put the Madelaine in a ziplock freezer bag with a water bottle cap full of salt with just enough distilled water in it to dampen the whole solution without leaving any water freefloating on top of the salt. I put the Madelaine in the bag, sealed it and set it on top of my 100 count and left it overnight. This morning, some 7 hours later, I pressed and held the green button until the RH display switched to 75%. That's how Madelaine says to calibrate this hygrometer. I pulled it out of the bag and set it in the 500 count humi with the 3 Caliber's and at lunch today (some 4 hours later, it was showing an RH level 10% lower than the 3 Calibers.

So, to sum up, I'm not overly impressed with the Madelaine hygrometer's and will never purchase another one of them again.

I do like the Caliber's and am glad I bought 3 because I'll have one for my 100 count, one for the 500 count and another for the 30 count travel humi I also got for x'mas (I love my wife).

Sorry if I ran on and bored anybody but I wanted to express clearly why I'm not overly impressed with the Madelaine digital hygrometer.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

garryyjr Guest

Default Re: Madelaine Hygrometer

I brought it back to the store I bought it at.. Said hell with it. I picked up a Cohiba and a Acid. I ordered one from CI a's a few other items.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

garryyjr Guest

CptnBlues63,

I feel the same.. And this was my first one. I will stay away from Madelaine and XiKar(just knowing the sell the others puts a bad taste in my mouth).

CptnBlues63,

I feel the same.. And this was my first one. I will stay away from Madelaine and XiKar(just knowing the sell the others puts a bad taste in my mouth).
    Don't get me wrong about XiKar products in general. I was speaking solely about the Madelaine hygrometer.

I own a XiKar cutter, lighter, and 3 cigar case and all of those are excellent quality products. Not to mention, they come with a lifetime warranty! Anybody can make a mistake so I wouldn't hold that against XiKar.

Chances are, I'll own more XiKar products in the future too....I just won't ever get another one of those hygrometers.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

garryyjr Guest

Well with a lifetime warranty... That isn't bad. Maybe, next time i purchase something.. I will give them a shot then.

Thanks.

This one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madelaine.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	2500

I have this one too, and if you don't have temp I would say it's defective.

Sorry I just saw how old this is. Rookie mistake...
    Last edited by DB17210; 07-29-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DB17210 View Post
    This one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madelaine.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	2500

I have this one too, and if you don't have temp I would say it's defective.

Sorry I just saw how old this is. Rookie mistake...
    ...that, and garrrrrryyyyyy won't be able to respond. He's long gone.

Thread Information