Thread: My New Cigar Accessory Box

Default My New Cigar Accessory Box

It's been a long while since I've started a thread on the forum but I wanted to take a quick minute and post some pictures of my newest toy that I picked up. I noticed this humidor on craigslist a couple of days ago and emailed the person inquiring about the seal on it. He said that he had no idea of the seal because he wasn't a cigar smoker, he actually picked this up at an estate sale and planned on using it to store his watches. He had second thoughts of using and posted it up. I met him the next day and looked at the seal it had. Unfortunately the seal on this is terrible, I seasoned it and tried to keep the humidity up for a week before realizing that it wasn't meant to be!

So now, I have a storage unit for my cigar smoking accessories! I'm really happy with it so far but unfortunately I wish that I could have used it for cigars!

Anyway, let me know what everyone thinks! As you can see there are two doors on the front with glass. Etched into the glass is the Trinidad logo. The top lid opens up and also has glass with the Trinidad logo. The back of it (no picture) actually has a small door and slot for the electric humidifier. That was also included in it but without the power cord.

"I would call that person a puffnozzle" ~mrtr33

Seems to me to be absolutely crazy to buy something like that to store accessories. My humidor has a set up very similar to that and, though it seems to have a lack of proper seals, it does otherwise do a very decent job of holding in the humidity. I am able to maintain a constant 65-70% humidity with minimal effort.

Especially with the Oasis electronic humidification system you should be able to keep a good, constant rH in that box. And - it really is not difficult to either pick up a replacement electric cord for the unit or make something that will work. I suggest you try and get the unit up and running and see how it holds the rH. You might be surprised...

Blog Entries

Boy, you sure do have a nice analog rh gauge collection!!

I may still try to get the oasis up and working and see how it holds up. One person at the cigar shop that I went to mentioned using a sealant that you would use for doors and such around all the seams. I'm not too keen on that but it was a thought. If this was expensive, I never would have bought it just to use for the extras that I have. All told this was listed on Craigslist for $100 and I offered $50.

As for the analog hygrometers, those are the ones that I've accumulated over time. Second drawer down on the right has all the extra digital ones in it. I'm one step away from a hoarder with cigar stuff! I just can't seem to throw away the analogs even though I know that I'll never use them. Ash - I thought that you would be commenting on the green florist foam humidifiers that are in there!

Blog Entries

I'm keen on the packs of camels in the bottom left drawer.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with the floral foam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I don't have a problem with the floral foam.
    It's what's in that Oasis anyway.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

With a little more persistence you could probably get that thing to seal & work to store cigars.

Use a leftover cigar box for the rest of the stuff.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I'm keen on the packs of camels in the bottom left drawer.
    Actually those are unopened boxes of the Madeline humidifier, those are more of the green floral foam. I think that you guys have inspired me to get the Oasis working and try to get it sealed up!

Have any of you ever used the door seal padding on a humidor before? Do you guys even think that it would work?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TachyCoventry View Post
    Actually those are unopened boxes of the Madeline humidifier, those are more of the green floral foam. I think that you guys have inspired me to get the Oasis working and try to get it sealed up!

Have any of you ever used the door seal padding on a humidor before? Do you guys even think that it would work?
    Yeah, mine has a sort of vinyl seal on it, that doesn't get a "memory." There are lots of options out there for sealing. Check out a home depot or similar and look at the samples.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

I wouldn't mind something like that. I have and am continuing to grow my accessory collection. I currently have some in a box and in the corner of the 'junk drawer'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrCal15 View Post
    I wouldn't mind something like that. I have and am continuing to grow my accessory collection. I currently have some in a box and in the corner of the 'junk drawer'
    Perfect!

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by TachyCoventry View Post

If you double the bead volume, you might be surprised how well it makes up for a shitty seal.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information