Thread: I'd Like to Try Once More

Blog Entries

Default I'd Like to Try Once More

Almost a year ago, I was told to become active in the forums by my bosses. I've smoked cigars for over 40 years but never had any involvement in the forums; therefore, I was naive.
    I had been out of work and without cigars,
    I got some really bad advice and like a schmuck, I followed it.
    As a result, I was vilified. Across the board of cigar forums. I couldn't dig myself out.
    The more advice I was given, the deeper the hole.
    While I don't have a job, I have a means of support and have become wiser as to how these forums work. I stepped on everyone's toes and I apologize.
    I'm hoping to start up again and on the right foot.

I live in lovely Milwaukee.
    I'm active on Facebook.
    And I can afford to buy cigars. LOL!

Thanks,
    Phil KohnClick image for larger version. 

Name:	alec bradley.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	2727

2. Default

OK Phil...Welcome. What do you like to smoke?

Blog Entries

Thanks, Cigarsarge, for asking......

I'm a big fan of Pete Johnson, Alec Bradley, Carillo, La Palina (although I can't afford them) and Litto Gomez. I research what I buy very closely. I've found that my favorite online stores are:
    1. New Havana Cigars
    2. Atlantic Cigar
    3. Best Cigar Prices
    4. Cigars at your own Price (this one is great...you can basically be assured of buying anything a few bucks cheaper than any other site)
    I'm completely burned out on house cigars.
    I discourage online stores from sending me that stuff.
    There are always some good deals online but you gotta' root them out. The only problem with most deals is that they require lots of humidor time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc 4.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	2741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc 3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	2740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc 2.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	2739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc 1.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	2738
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.

4. Default

I vaguely remember this guy. I wouldn't be so quick to welcome him Ken.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katmancross View Post
    Thanks, Cigarsarge, for asking......

I'm a big fan of Pete Johnson, Alec Bradley, Carillo, La Palina (although I can't afford them) and Litto Gomez. I research what I buy very closely. I've found that my favorite online stores are:
    1. New Havana Cigars
    2. Atlantic Cigar
    3. Best Cigar Prices
    4. Cigars at your own Price (this one is great...you can basically be assured of buying anything a few bucks cheaper than any other site)
    I'm completely burned out on house cigars.
    I discourage online stores from sending me that stuff.
    There are always some good deals online but you gotta' root them out. The only problem with most deals is that they require lots of humidor time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc 4.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	2741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc 3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	2740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc 2.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	2739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	misc 1.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	2738
    I got a package yesterday and hope to get these sexy babies inhaled today.
    I found a web site called New Havana Cigars. They strictly sell the upscale stuff. No Rocky Patel 63rds.
    A little cheaper than some, more at others. Their variety is what brings me back.Attachment 2737

P.S. I stopped doing reviews for the online cigar stores. Got tired of their tired old house brands. Plus, I had to watch what I said. I certainly can't tell a story like I did in the La Gloria Cubana review. And those silly stories make it fun for me.
    So, which is it? Do you do reviews for online stores, or do you just discourage them from sending you house brands?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    I vaguely remember this guy. I wouldn't be so quick to welcome him Ken.

Doc
    Indeed! The retailers you listed in your post wouldn't happen to supply your cigars would they katmandude?

Blog Entries

This happened gradually. I didn't get an epiphany one day and decide to turn the spigot off.
    Some honored my request. Others sent a 5 pack of something and asked me to just try them. If I liked them, I might review them. But most of the time, I didn't. I tried to be diplomatic and not hurt their feelings. I had a lot of boutique brands send me stuff. On average, 90% of the boutique cigars weren't very good. They were businessmen who would meet a blender and the blender would throw a dozen different sticks on the table and the business man would pick. Then he'd put his bands on the sticks and voila'.....a new cigar was born. In most cases, these cigars needed a lot of humidor time but the businessmen were anxious and impatient. They had sent their cigars to most reviewers and pressured them to publish a review ASAP. It was a shitty situation.
    I'm still on the reviewer's list of a few manufacturers....Alec Bradley, La Palina and a couple others. Who turns down samples from these people?
    The tool that really helped discourage the cigar guys was how I began to write. R rated. Throw in stories of drugs and sex and rock n roll.
    So to answer your question, yes, it was a gradual process. It was not like hitting a light switch.
    Now, I buy the cigars I review. It takes time to back your way out of something you tried so hard to accomplish. The last house brand I reviewed for an online store was back on Aug 9. I closed the door after that. And now I review a cigar when I feel like it.
    Unfortunately, I did burn some bridges. The "customer" couldn't fathom that someone did not like their product. Such is life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Indeed! The retailers you listed in your post wouldn't happen to supply your cigars would they katmandude?
    Nope. I am not affiliated with any of those stores. Strictly cash on the barrel head. And I never approached them for cigars for review. These are great sites. You should check them out.

Blog Entries

These interrogations are getting old. If you don't want me to participate on this site, then say so. I don't know if the guys trying to catch me in a lie are moderators or management, but if you aren't, then go to the powers that be and say what you will.
    I'm not going to justify myself anymore. I've said my piece. I have been truthful and sincere. Who among you haven't stepped on your dick at one time or another?
    I've apologized and asked for forgiveness. I want to enjoy the fun of belonging to a forum.

10. Default

is this purobrat?
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

These interrogations are getting old. If you don't want me to participate on this site, then say so. I don't know if the guys trying to catch me in a lie are moderators or management, but if you aren't, then go to the powers that be and say what you will.
    I'm not going to justify myself anymore. I've said my piece. I have been truthful and sincere. Who among you haven't stepped on your dick at one time or another?
    I've apologized and asked for forgiveness. I want to enjoy the fun of belonging to a forum.
    Oh for cryin' out loud....

I know nothing about you other than your first post was pretty creative and I said so. You obviously have history in other places that I have no first hand knowledge of but others do. No one is "interrogating" you or "(not) want(ing) (you) to participate" so grow up and stop acting like a baby. There are no "moderators" or "management" here, you sound paranoid and thin-skinned. Those attributes won't serve you very well in any on-line forums such as this.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katmandude
    This happened gradually. I didn't get an epiphany one day and decide to turn the spigot off.
    Some honored my request. Others sent a 5 pack of something and asked me to just try them. If I liked them, I might review them. But most of the time, I didn't. I tried to be diplomatic and not hurt their feelings. I had a lot of boutique brands send me stuff. On average, 90% of the boutique cigars weren't very good. They were businessmen who would meet a blender and the blender would throw a dozen different sticks on the table and the business man would pick. Then he'd put his bands on the sticks and voila'.....a new cigar was born. In most cases, these cigars needed a lot of humidor time but the businessmen were anxious and impatient. They had sent their cigars to most reviewers and pressured them to publish a review ASAP. It was a shitty situation.
    I'm still on the reviewer's list of a few manufacturers....Alec Bradley, La Palina and a couple others. Who turns down samples from these people?
    The tool that really helped discourage the cigar guys was how I began to write. R rated. Throw in stories of drugs and sex and rock n roll.
    So to answer your question, yes, it was a gradual process. It was not like hitting a light switch.
    Now, I buy the cigars I review. It takes time to back your way out of something you tried so hard to accomplish. The last house brand I reviewed for an online store was back on Aug 9. I closed the door after that. And now I review a cigar when I feel like it.
    Unfortunately, I did burn some bridges. The "customer" couldn't fathom that someone did not like their product. Such is life.
    Except the La Palina.

Originally Posted by ashauler
    Was this a freebie?
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandude

Yes. I received two.

This is a self-moderated forum, though we do have a moderator and there is an admin, they pretty much act at the will of the community and let things take their course. **Hint, if you wish to belong to a community, it's best to read a bit, understand the rules/practices and etiquette of that particular board before wading in.

There is little need to try and catch you in a lie man, it's simply too easy, all you have to do is read your posts.

Yes, many have stepped on their dick at one time or another. Some have recovered; many have not. What you fail to understand is that recovery is easier if you start off trying to be a botl, are honest, and simply make a mistake. That isn't the case with you, is it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    This is a self-moderated forum, though we do have a moderator and there is an admin, they pretty much act at the will of the community and let things take their course.
    Well, sort of...they don't show up much and when they do, we pretty much just ignore them. The security settings on this site are so easy to hack, a 2nd grader can do it in about ten seconds so when they ban us or try and edit our posts, we un-ban ourselves and do pretty much as we damn well please.

You can participate and post here all you want katmandoocross but don't be surprised when you find that the tolerance level here for your fairy tales is a whole lot lower than other places like CigarAsylum where they humor weirdos like you under the guise of being "brotherly" when in fact they really have no use for your warped writings, your review of $hitty cigars, your lies and most of all your propensity to bull$hit like there's no tomorrow.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 10-04-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information