Thread: El Diario by La Palina Cigars

Blog Entries

Default El Diario by La Palina Cigars

It is very difficult not to be trite in describing this cigar. I told Billy (William C Paley likes to be called Billy by people that don't know him) that the El Diario is such a unique cigar, that anyone with a good palate is going to describe pretty much the same thing.

The La Palina line was masterminded to be quality at its zenith. There are no cigars on the market like them. Kudos to Billy and his staff of blenders.

The prelight aroma makes me think of home when I was young and Mom would be busy in the kitchen baking delightful delicacies. The aroma of the basic spices required to attain a wonderful flavor are in the foot of the cigar.

I cut the cap using the yarmulke method of removing the cap without removing any tobacco.

I carefully toast the foot which ain't no easy feat. The ring gauge on my sample is 58. It is the Gordo: 6 x 58. As we used to say back in the 60's, this is one honker of a cigar! While the 58 is only 1/32" smaller in diameter than the popular 60 ring gauge, I have talked myself into thinking it is easier to control while in my maw. I have a small mouth which would preclude me from spending time in prison so I appreciate that 1/32" difference.

After the charriness of the light up dissipates, I can taste nuances of different flavors. There is a nice sweetness riding piggy back to some spice. The strongest flavor is probably cedar at this point.

The body wastes no time in delivering a medium fluorish. Due to the size of the cigar and it's seemingly perfect construction, I will be taking my time in smoking it. Billy told me it ramps up into a full body near the end taking down even the biggest sailor in the room if not careful.

Since I am smoking as I write this, I have lots of time to do other things. I have used a bobby pin to attach the El Diario cap to my head and do 3 numbers from "Fiddler on the Roof" here in the basement.

As in all excellent cigars, the flavor profile changes constantly. A little dark coffee, a dash of cocoa, caramel apple and a tad of Knott's Berry Farm boysenberry on the finish.

The stick is just delightful and without a harsh surprise anywhere. At this point, I will boldly pontificate that the El Diario is the proud child of the other more expensive La Palina cigars. And Billy has managed to maintain that expensive aura around a $10 stick.

The second half brings creaminess to the table. The sweetness increases and the body remains the same.

As I close out this fine stick, the body increases. So I slow down a bit. If I get the spins, I will be forced to get up and pace which makes my giant German Shepherd uneasy and my life is in danger. It reminds him of when he was a guard dog at Gitmo watching for Cubans.

Seriously, all in all, this is a great stick. It has class and refinement. It has all the flavors you want in a premium cigar. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	el 4.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	2736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	el 3.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	2735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	el 2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	2734Click image for larger version.