Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it racist?

Blog Entries

Default Is it racist?

So, with Halloween fast approaching I've been trying to figure out a costume for a party. I've been growing in my hair and a pretty robust beard. A guy at work tells me I look like General Hood, a Confederate General. Inspiration hits me for a costume, but wifey tells me I shouldn't because it's racist and I'll get punched in the face.

What does everyone think?

Blog Entries

You live with your wife ...

Don't use words like "black" and "slavery" and you are good to go IMO. I like costumes that not everyone could pull off. Now, dressing in white sheets with a nice pointed hat...different story.

As long as you don't rub Kiwi on your face, I think your good to go.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

I'd say you're good. Will anyone even realize who you are?

ETA:
    Last edited by Eville; 10-05-2011 at 07:57 AM.

I think you'll be fine... (P.S. - Great costume idea!)

Bullshit, it is a part of our history! I don't see how it could be considered racist....I mean slavery wasn't the only reason the Confederacy succeeded from the Union. It was more so that they didn't want to be governed by people that didn't care about the South's interest. If the first and only thing that comes to mind about the Confederacy, is slavery, then there is something wrong.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    <snip>Will anyone even realize who you are?<snip>
    This.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I'd say you're good. Will anyone even realize who you are?
    That's exactly what I thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Bullshit, it is a part of our history! I don't see how it could be considered racist....I mean slavery wasn't the only reason the Confederacy succeeded from the Union. It was more so that they didn't want to be governed by people that didn't care about the South's interest. If the first and only thing that comes to mind about the Confederacy, is slavery, then there is something wrong.
    Exactly how I feel as well. I personally love reading about history, particularly American Military history. But these days most peoples knowledge of historical events is limited to whatever crappy high school course they were told, and probably didn't want to hear anyway.

To be racist depends on what you carry in your heart, not what you wear on your body.

...though I would not suggest wearing the outfit to a hip-hop concert for fear you might become the party Pinata.
    Last edited by ggiese; 10-05-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Because I'm a fool that don't know how to spell...

Do it up right, though - don't skimp. I wanna see you looking like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lt__Gen__John_B__Hood.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	2746

If you can pull that look off, you oughta consider doing the Civil War reenactment thing. Some local groups do it here in Illinois and I think it could be interesting, educational and good clean fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdre977 View Post
    Exactly how I feel as well. I personally love reading about history, particularly American Military history. But these days most peoples knowledge of historical events is limited to whatever crappy high school course they were told, and probably didn't want to hear anyway.
    My dad is a big Civil War buff, been to almost all the battlefields on the east coast here, some great family vacations! We used to go to Gettysburg every year in the fall. I loved it out there, I think it is one place every American should visit at least once in their life.
    Yay! Cigars!

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to meet the academic definition of racist to still get punched in the face.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

15. Default

No, I don't think it is. Dressing up in black face and cake-waking down the street while trick or treating, however would be.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

16. Default

Being from the south I am proud of my heritage. Southern history is a rich one with good people as well as ignorant evil people. My ancestors never owned slaves. In fact they were poor farmers that struggled to make a living. My grandfather was the first of my family to make it. He bought and sold mules. I am proud of that south.

I personally would not wear it...But the costume itself is not racist. Enjoy wearing it. It did not happen without pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    No, I don't think it is. Dressing up in black face and cake-waking down the street while trick or treating, however would be.

Doc.
    I'd pay good money to see that !
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I agree with Sarge...I personally wouldn't wear it either. Not because it's racist, which it's not- I would just get tired of answering "who are you supposed to be?" all night.

Blog Entries

Wear it and say who you are. Dressing up as a Civil War general is not "racist" no way, no how.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I have to try to make this happen now. Maybe I'll make my gal dress up as a southern belle.

Thread Information