Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Collection (and smoking stash)

Default Starting a Collection (and smoking stash)

First off, greetings everyone...found the site a little while ago after spending all day research cigars online and looking for recommendations and sampler packs I'm interested in trying, still have a long way to go. But, I figure actually sitting down and talking with people about it, rather than just looking at 5 year old articles would be a better option.

----------

I've been smoking cigars off and on for the past few years (my mother actually got me into it, but she's not really that 'hardcore' and doesn't have much info for me either...actually, I've recently told her she's doing it wrong...oops ).

I'm getting medically discharged from the Air Force next month, and will be getting a decent sum of money, and I'd like to use some of it to kick start this amazing habit I'm beginning to get. I'm thinking somewhere in the range of $1000-$2000 to get a decent start for a useable smoking stash, as well as a collection going. And while I've been planning this, I've thought of a few questions.

First off, a humidor. I'm looking at Geneve Standing Humidor to start with, simply because it's about $300 for the humidor, some RH beads, and 2 hygrometers. I plan on growing the collection, so I figured starting with something a decent size would be a good idea rather than having lots of little ones laying around. If I don't get enough in the initial purchase to fill it up, would filling the extra space with jars or solid blocks/etc be a workable solution to all the extra space?

Another question I'm curious about is if I intend to drop around $1000 on the cigars to start me off with, should I focus on a few types, or just get a huge variety to test?

So far, I'm a pretty big fan of Drew Estates cigars, mainly Jucy Lucy (I bum those from the mother when she visits), Dirts, and some of the Acids. Other than that I haven't really tried many other cigars...so I'm interested in finding out what else is out there so I can actually figure out what my true tastes are and what fits me.

Any recommendations for good starter cigars, as I still consider myself a starter? I've got a short list of ones I'm aiming for, they are all highly rated cheap cigars, so a few more premium (but not super expensive) cigars would be welcome recommendations. (currently only my 'to try' list is Saint Luis Rey Rothchilde, Private Stock #2, Gispert Corona, Helix Blue Tubular, Flor de Oliva Gold Toro, and Mr B. Longdate Maduro).

I'm far from knowledgeable on cigars, so personal opinion/information/suggestions is more than welcome.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board. I never thought I would hear of someone's mother getting them started on cigars. Anyway, you should really, really try the newbie sampler here. How long were you in the Air Force?

3. Default

Welcome....I would check some of the reviews posted here. I definately would not spend that kind of money without some experementing. Check out the Newbie Sampler Thread in "The Exchange" forum. It is a great way to get a variety of cigars for a good price. All the guys that trade there are experenced and generous. Don' t think you will get any Acids there though.

Welcome aboard! Eville and Sarge are right...the newbie sampler is definitely a great place to start. You won't regret it.

Welcome from Ma.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

I'm going to disagree with everyone.

First of all, where are you located? Let's see if there is a good local tobacconist.

Don't buy a humidor yet.

Don't buy a $1000 worth of cigars yet.

Don't get the newbie sampler yet.

The reason is; you are smoking only flavoured cigars - heavily flavoured cigars - and you like them. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but flavoured cigars must be stored separately from "regular" cigars, i.e., different humidors - and once a humidor is dedicated to flavoured, it is pretty well going to be only good for flavoured cigars.

Secondly, people generally (generally) mostly smoke either flavoured or unflavoured, or migrate from flavoured to unflavoured. I suggest that you figure out where you are headed in that continuum first, before dropping any significant cash. This is where a good local tobacconist can help. Buy a few cigars at a time - they'll keep fine in a freezer zip-lock (add a Boveda Humidipak if you want to be careful). Smoke a few with local guidance, and then move on to the newbie sampler (which most likely won't have any flavoured cigars in it) and spending more. No use getting the newbie sampler if you find out that you prefer flavoured cigars (and most who smoke flavoured cigars do).

... and in general, smaller humidors can be better (until you buy/store boxes of cigars). Cigars in the same humidor will "marry," i.e., become similar over time. One can avoid this by keeping cigars in cellophane (and flavoured cigars should always be kept in cellophane), but then there is no need for a humidor, and a plastic tupperware box, mason jar, etc., with the right humidification devices will work just as well (but not look as good).

YMMV, and welcome from Ottawa, Canada, where my lone flavoured cigar sits in a ziplock (I keep it for friends).

Welcome to the forum.

Larger is better for your 1st humidor, you will out grow a smaller one fast.
    Yes you can use Jars with the lid on to take up space when you have less cigars in the humidor.
    I would avoid using things like wood "solid blocks" unless it was something like mahogany or Spanish ceder.
    For hygrometers look at a good digital one the analog ones look nice but suck at accuracy.

Also for ordering a large amount of cigars at one time your better off getting a few to see if you like them them order more.
    Your taste will change over time so that milder cigar you loved last month/year may be to mild for you just a few moths later and your stuck with a bunch of cigars you no longer enjoy smoking.

Its not a good idea to spend $1000 on cigars at one time unless you know your going to like them.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

awesome, thanks for the advice so far everyone. For the people that asked, I'm from Fayetteville, NC...and was in the Air Force for a little over 8 years.

I've been getting advice from a few other places today as well, and have already decided on getting two smaller humidors rather than 1 large one (for the flavored/unflavored separation), as well as deciding I'm not going to drop all my money at 1 time. I'll be getting a box or two of some I know I like, and then start getting a few of different types.

I'm going to go read up on that newbie sampler, as well as heading to a local shop tomorrow which was a trip I was already planning to get some in person advice (though, I need to figure out if there is a larger one around here still).

Last edited by Trilobyte; 12-24-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Blog Entries

"a few other places?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I'm going to disagree with everyone.

First of all, where are you located? Let's see if there is a good local tobacconist.

Don't buy a humidor yet.

Don't buy a $1000 worth of cigars yet.

Don't get the newbie sampler yet.
    Well, I agree with everything you said so you're not alone.

He's less than 45 minutes away from a JR Cigars retail outlet in Selma, NC so he ought to start there.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 10-17-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by Staxed View Post
    First off, greetings everyone...found the site a little while ago after spending all day research cigars online and looking for recommendations and sampler packs I'm interested in trying, still have a long way to go. But, I figure actually sitting down and talking with people about it, rather than just looking at 5 year old articles would be a better option.

First off, a humidor. I'm looking at Geneve Standing Humidor to start with, simply because it's about $300 for the humidor, some RH beads, and 2 hygrometers.
    Hi and welcome to the board from out here in Western Canada!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    He's less than 45 minutes away from a JR Cigars retail outlet in Selma, NC so he ought to start there.
    I can't believe I didn't think about that. I see the signs every time I hit the road and it totally lapsed my mind when I was planning on places to go check out for my new habit...thanks for the reminder!

I can't believe I didn't think about that. I see the signs every time I hit the road and it totally lapsed my mind when I was planning on places to go check out for my new habit...thanks for the reminder!
    If you go there, do NOT bring $1,000 with. You'll be dead broke by the time you leave...

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

Blog Entries

Welcome from central Oregon.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Yeah, I was down your way last November, 95 to 40 to Wilmington and I saw at least ten or 20 JR billboards on those roads so I was going to say "WTF is the matter with you, how can you miss the billboards on 95?" but since you don't know me I wasn't sure how well you'd take to me busting your stones then I'd catch $hit for being mean to the new guys so I decided to be nice which is out of character for me, LMAO! I did have to laugh though because JRCigars is probably one of the largest mail order cigar places in the country/world and you have one of their retail outlets almost in your back yard so you're luckier than most.

On our way back, I wanted to stop in but the wife said "NO" I've heard the retail outlets are huge and I'm sure they're loaded up with sales associated who you can spend all day talking to about cigars. I also wouldn't buy whole boxes yet if I were you, try lots of different cigars. Personally, I'd avoid the real cheap crap. As they say "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars." Now I'm not saying you've got to smoke only $20.00 cigars but concentrate on the mid-priced stuff, $4.00 - $15.00 per cigar. Oh, and don't be afraid of maduros, they may look strong and powerful to a new cigar smoker but the taste of the wrapper is generally sweeter than natural leaf so I think they taste better.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 10-17-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Welcome from western Oregon.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Blog Entries

Welcome from AZ.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Thread Information