Thread: Should I be concerned about long term dammage?

Default Should I be concerned about long term dammage?

Good morning,
    I came across an opportunity to buy some cigars (a sealed box of Perdomo ESV Vintage 1991) via private sale from a complete stranger, but I am concerned about the storing conditions. He told me he has had them in his humi that he maintains at an ambient house temp of around 75 degrees, and RH levels between 70-75 for the past "several years". Should I be concerned? He's advertising a pretty reasonable price, but I am already trying to negotiate a lower cost. Is there a chance that even after me storing them at the ranges that I typically keep (70-72 degrees, 65%RH), the cigars are still going to have long term side effects/problems from his storage conditions?

My only concern would be trusting that they have been in a controlled humi... If you trust that, you shouldnt have a problem... (other than a milder cigar then you typically get)...

Quote Originally Posted by DB17210 View Post
    Good morning,
    I came across an opportunity to buy some cigars (a sealed box of Perdomo ESV Vintage 1991) via private sale from a complete stranger, but I am concerned about the storing conditions. He told me he has had them in his humi that he maintains at an ambient house temp of around 75 degrees, and RH levels between 70-75 for the past "several years". Should I be concerned? He's advertising a pretty reasonable price, but I am already trying to negotiate a lower cost. Is there a chance that even after me storing them at the ranges that I typically keep (70-72 degrees, 65%RH), the cigars are still going to have long term side effects/problems from his storage conditions?
    If he has a storage humidor that is constantly maintaining an rH of around 70-75%, and an ambient house temperature of about "75 degrees", there should not be much to worry about. However - how would one "certify" the cigars have been stored the way he suggests?

If you read and participate in this, or any other cigar forum, you will eventually learn the advantages/disadvantages of how cigar storage affects the "side effects" and "problems" of smoking an aged cigar. Unless and until you understand it, the "negotiating" a lower cost based upon something which you cannot well articulate (e.g. you did not store them right so give 'em to me cheaper) is a very foolish strategy.

Bottom line - the seller will sell the cigars to you for a price he feels comfortable selling them for, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by uhfishyuhnahdoh View Post
    My only concern would be trusting that they have been in a controlled humi... If you trust that, you shouldnt have a problem... (other than a milder cigar then you typically get)...
    Nicaraguan filler and binder don't equate to "mild" in any cigar I've smoked. Not sure why you'd think it would be a "milder cigar".

It is a very pleasant smoke. I would describe it to be more medium bodied - middle of the road, but definitely not "mild". Just a hint of spiciness, with a fair amount of sweetness - more along the lines of cinnamon. I also like the earthiness of this cigar - wood / grass tones. Very well balanced.

Blog Entries

Wait a minute, there is a concern with trusting an unknown person selling cigars? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Wait a minute, there is a concern with trusting an unknown person selling cigars? Really?
    Yeah!!! People these days... Did you hear about the newbie trying to sell Ratzilla's!!!! What a douche!!!

Yeah!!! People these days... Did you hear about the newbie trying to sell Ratzilla's!!!! What a douche!!!
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't know.

We do generally forgive ignorance.

...in only one instance, though.

Always appreciate someone who can laugh at themselves.

Can you post a new thread introducing yourself so we can get to know you a little better?
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    Always appreciate someone who can laugh at themselves.

Can you post a new thread introducing yourself so we can get to know you a little better?
    That would be nice!!!

10. Default

I think it should be ok, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by timlisten View Post
    I think it should be ok, no worries.
    So you are an expert in the storage and smoking of cigars?

I only ask because a couple of posts ago in this last week you said:

Quote Originally Posted by timlisten View Post
    hey, great and detailed review. I'm just beginning to smoke cigar and learn something from your post.

Goes to credibility, tim.
    Last edited by ggiese; 10-11-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information