Thread: Smoking etiquette in another's house

Default Smoking etiquette in another's house

For Thanksgiving this year we will be with my wife's brother and sister and step-mother and her family. The whole family smokes (cigarettes) constantly; they roll their own and usually have piles of dozens on the counter waiting to be boxed. My wife and I will usually smoke a couple when we visit, but I would much rather smoke a cigar or my pipe. Would it be appropriate to bring a stick or my pipe and light up when everyone else has cigarettes? I know one of them very occasionally smokes terrible gas station cigars, but that's it for non-cigarettes.

Thoughts? Just take something along and ask before I light up?
    imnotpete.com (tech/general blog)
    ink.imnotpete.com (creative blog)

Blog Entries

I would bring them along, and ask. What's the worst that will happen? You'll have to smoke outside, which is ironic being a smoking house.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Do they smoke cigarettes indoor or outdoor? If outdoor, I can't see why it'd be a problem. Ask anyway, just to be polite and respect them. If indoor then there could be a problem--they may not want to smell something foreign (even if many of us reading this would rather smell a cigar or pipe over cigarettes).

The biggest potential "problem" in my mind is the difference in smoking duration, if they go out to smoke or otherwise won't be smoking where the main socializing is. What I did once at a party where a few friends went outside to smoke a cigarette every once in a while was bring my pipe and load about a quarter of the bowl when they went out so it lasted about the same amount of time. I think I ended up smoking about a bowl broken up into three or four sessions.

If they're smoking indoor and are cool with you also smoking a pipe or cigar indoor with them, then it should be fine smoking for however long you want.

ETA: From my limited experience, people have tolerated or even enjoyed pipe smoke (even non-aromatics) much more than cigar smoke. So, they may be more open to indoor pipe smoking.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

They all smoke indoors, so duration shouldn't be an issue (I may bring short stories or something just in case). Given how the apartment reeks of cigarettes, I'm hopeful a cigar might not even be noticeable. My biggest worry usually with this sort of thing is people will feel obligated to accomodate me even if they don't want me to do something. I suppose I will take them along and see what they say!
    imnotpete.com (tech/general blog)
    ink.imnotpete.com (creative blog)

Quote Originally Posted by imnotpete View Post
    My biggest worry usually with this sort of thing is people will feel obligated to accomodate me even if they don't want me to do something.
    Well, that's their own problem then, if they allow something and then resent you for it. All you can do is tell them you'd like to, but won't if they don't want it in the house--and they have the responsibility of answering truthfully.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

I'm with JiveTurkey on this one. I would keep a well stocked pipe at all times and light up when possible. In my experience, or maybe just my geographical location (Texas), most cigarette smokers are snobs and want nothing to do with foreign smokes. However I am opposite and want nothing to do with cigarettes. Good luck and happy smoking to you over your holiday! Here's to long ashes...

Thread Information