Thread: Why don't more people use punch cutters?

Default Why don't more people use punch cutters?

When i started smoking cigars, I used a double guillotine cutter, even though my xikar lighter has a punch built in. I figured it was the worst way to do it because it doesn't leave a large hole for the smoke to get through, or I thought it would be harder to suck through. The other day I figured i would give it a try. I loved it! It was so nice to not have to carry the cutter around. Also, I didn't get any tobacco in my mouth, and it was just a nice clean cut. Why don't more people use punch cutters?

2. Default

In my experience, punch cutters promote the formation of tar. Some folks will disagree, vehemently. To each his own, until you get a mouthful.
    Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Until last week, I've only used punch cutters. Depending on the rg, I'd punch 1-3 overlapping holes. Now, as long as my guillotine blades remain sharp, I can't see using the punch much anymore. There are quite a few lighters that have built-in guillotines, but most I've seen are single-blade. Here's one with a double-blade though.
    "I took the liberty of... bullshitting you; okay?" ~Elwood
    "You lied to me man!" ~Jake
    "It wasn't lies; it was just... bullshit." ~Elwood

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    In my experience, punch cutters promote the formation of tar. Some folks will disagree, vehemently. To each his own, until you get a mouthful.
    Doc
    I'm pretty much a Xikar guy. I have and use punch cutters, but like Doc's saying, you end up with tar a lot of the time. Not all the time, but a lot of the time.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Doc
    I used punch cutters for years and never had a problem until I started better cigars like Davidoffs, Opus X & Añejos. If you used a punch cutter on those cigars, at least 1/2 the time you'll get tar so I agree with Doc.

I still use a punch cutter for cheaper cigars but I usually use a cheap guillotine cutter on the more expensive cigars. I have found though that even if you get a tar build up on a cigar that you've used a punch on, you can cut it again with a guillotine and fix the problem.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Most of my sticks are pyramids, torpedoes, bellicosos...it's a mouth feel thing for me. I don't mind carrying a cutter on me. The punch that comes with some of my lighters don't have a stud or punch to eject what gets caught in the blade so I found that kind of annoying.

Blog Entries

It's much harder to cut off the finger of someone who owes you money with a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    It's much harder to cut off the finger of someone who owes you money with a punch.
    LMAO My mind's eye can't shake that visualization. It has the makings of a good Mel Brooks mafia movie.

I haven't had the tar issues with any cigars I have used my punch cutter with so far, but that number is hardly high enough to be considered a suitable sample size. I find my punch works better on cigars that have too loose of a draw with a guillotine cut. It seems to make the draw a bit tighter.

Mark

Each individual cigar smoker, has their own go to cut method. I prefer to use the double blade guillotine cutters.
    A cigar is as good as memories that you have when you smoked it. Raul Julia

11. Default

If any of you guys want to try a punch cutter, but don't want to spend any money, get yourself a .45 Colt or .45 acp spent cartridge and chamfer the inside edge. It works great and automatically stores the cut piece.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

It all depends on the cigar I am smoking as to which method to use.

If any of you guys want to try a punch cutter, but don't want to spend any money, get yourself a .45 Colt or .45 acp spent cartridge and chamfer the inside edge. It works great and automatically stores the cut piece.

Doc
    I was thinking about giving that a try, except using various caliber rifle shells like a .223, .30-06, and .45-70, to cover the different RGs being cut. It would give you more to grip, plus more storage space for the scraps. If you feel froggy and want a keychain version that will punch two different diameters, take a .223 or a .30-06 shell and cut off the flange-end about an inch before the shell begins tapering down to the bullet end.

14. Default

I have a .357 and a .44 shell my reloading friend chamfered for me. I dont use punches but they are cool
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

I find fingernails work fine for most of the cigars that I smoke ... for the rest, I find Palio offers more control than Xikar. (I have Perfect Cutters for the car.)
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

I love a punch cutter. Lately I have been using the mistake free cutter.

http://www.cigarsolutions.com/precis...-cutter-metal/

That's the cutter I use every day. I used to use a notch cutter but found this double cutter leaves a better end and I don't get as much tobacco in my mouth. I got it off of Amazon. I like that I don't have any mistakes. I just center the stick in the little rear hole and snip and it's a perfect cut every time.

I plan on getting one other those perfect cutters soon. What a great idea!
    It would also help my buddies who come over and sometimes take a little too much off.

Doc
    I did this with a .357 and it worked well.

I have a xikar punch on my key chain I use when I don't have a guillotine. But I prefer the guillotine.

As for guillotines, my xikar is nice looking but I still get the best cuts out of the cheap-o's you can pick up at the register of any cigar shop. The blades are thin and sharp making for a clean cut. I've had my xikar pinch cigars. I attribute it to the twin blades being so thick and not because it has gotten dull. I drop it all the time and am on my 4th or 5th due to the great warranty they come with.

Thread Information