Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Less costly alternative cigar

Quote Originally Posted by Smokerinthewoods View Post
    Thanks for that link Ashauler, a lot of info about that line of cigars.
    Dave
    Andrew is downright goofy about Fuente stuff - there's no better place to look...

Arturo Fuente Curly Head has been a favorite of mine for years. When I first bought them you could buy a box of 40 for $15 or $20. Those days are gone of course. And my favorite version of the Curly Head, the maduro, is now only available in the 'DeLuxe' presentation, which adds a band and cellophane.

I've smoked better looking, more expensive cigars I did not enjoy as much.

Between Famous and CI, you can frequently find a sampler of better cigars for around $2.50 - $3.00 a stick; not a bad idea since finally it's a matter of taste and a sampler is a cheaper way to experiment.

Default Re: Less costly alternative cigar

I have never tried them, but I found this link the other day when I was researching the glue issue I found w/the Short Story

http://www.bestcigarprices.com/cigar.../209-11181.htm

By the time I add freight into the cost of a 5 pack, the cost was very close to price I can buy the real thing locally ($5.45 each). I don't know that it's even worth trying, but would love to see a review on here if anybody tries them.

Quote Originally Posted by DB17210 View Post
    I have never tried them, but I found this link the other day when I was researching the glue issue I found w/the Short Story

By the time I add freight into the cost of a 5 pack, the cost was very close to price I can buy the real thing locally ($5.45 each). I don't know that it's even worth trying, but would love to see a review on here if anybody tries them.
    I dunno about them "alternatives"... Kinda like buying a Rolax watch. Somehow it's just not the same as owing a Rolex - even though they look very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I dunno about them "alternatives"... Kinda like buying a Rolax watch. Somehow it's just not the same as owing a Rolex - even though they look very similar.
    I've never tried them either. I was curious until I saw it was $10 for a 5 pack and $6+ for shipping.

I have tried bandless perfectos akin to these from my B&M shop. They burned awfully uneven, and tasted bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Will,What is a few that are pretty good that is in the cheaper range!!
    These of course are IMHO:
    Famous Nic 3000s
    El Cobre (although they are jacking them up)
    Famous VSL Honduran
    Famous Maduritos
    Consuergra 84s
    Sancho Panza
    Really, most 1000series Padrons are inexpensive

Of course, none of these are like a Hemmingway ~ Natural or Maduro

It also depends what we're talking about as "cheap."

Will[/QUOTE]

When he says sancho panza, I think he means only the extra fuerte line, I have heard the others are garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyr View Post
    Arturo Fuente Curly Head has been a favorite of mine for years. When I first bought them you could buy a box of 40 for $15 or $20. Those days are gone of course. And my favorite version of the Curly Head, the maduro, is now only available in the 'DeLuxe' presentation, which adds a band and cellophane.

I've smoked better looking, more expensive cigars I did not enjoy as much.
    I like some of the curly heads, but its funny how inconsistent they are, as they are basically scraps put together of everything else they make. Great price though, and they don't burn down too fast either

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steffanan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale
    Famous Nic 3000s
    Famous VSL Honduran
    Famous Maduritos
    Consuergra 84s
    Sancho Panza

Will
    When he says sancho panza, I think he means only the extra fuerte line, I have heard the others are garbage.
    I actually meant the double maduro, but I've enjoyed all from that line. You've had at least the extra-fuerte, or the one with the red-label. I mean, you never know unless you smoke one, right?

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by steffanan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Badwhale
    Famous Nic 3000s
    Famous VSL Honduran
    Famous Maduritos
    Consuergra 84s
    Sancho Panza

Will
    I have not heard that. Quite frankly, I've smoked all sorts of Sancho Panza's, and I wasn't left with that impression. I'd say it was a pretty decent cigar at a decent price...

The first time i smoke a Sancho Panza i didn't like it.
    But over time i smoked a few more and developed a taste for them.

The Sancho Panza double maduro is now one of my faverit cigar.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

I have not heard that. Quite frankly, I've smoked all sorts of Sancho Panza's, and I wasn't left with that impression. I'd say it was a pretty decent cigar at a decent price...
    I agree...I seem to be able to smoke and enjoy the whole SP line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    The first time i smoke a Sancho Panza i didn't like it.
    But over time i smoked a few more and developed a taste for them.

The Sancho Panza double maduro is now one of my faverit cigar.
    Dollar for dollar - hands down - the best double maduro I've smoked. Unlike other lines that "gimic" the double maduro, SP just quietly produces them and (in my opinion) keeps the cost down by not over hyping them....

Blog Entries

There ya go Steffenana ~ 4 people say the others aren't "garbage."

Now that you've heard they ARE garbage, and they're NOT garbage....I guess the only way to find out is to try some.

Uncle Tupelo

Dollar for dollar - hands down - the best double maduro I've smoked. Unlike other lines that "gimic" the double maduro, SP just quietly produces them and (in my opinion) keeps the cost down by not over hyping them....
    Double Maduro ??? I though that was just the "name" they put to thier wrapper. Do they infact use a maduro binder? I was under the assumption that was the gimmicky name for a very dark maduro wrapper.
    I may be wrong! As I have been many times in the past
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Double Maduro ??? I though that was just the "name" they put to thier wrapper. Do they infact use a maduro binder? I was under the assumption that was the gimmicky name for a very dark maduro wrapper.
    I may be wrong! As I have been many times in the past
    Well... The wrapper is an "Extra-dark Connecticut broadleaf" which General Cigar Cigar claims is "hand-selected for their rich, oily quality and aged four years before rolling". And - the Connecticut shade binder "is cured to a maduro color, also aged four years, for a richer, sweeter, and smoother smoke".

So I take that as Maduro wrapper and a Maduro binder equal "Double Maduro".

All I know - it's "mmmm, mmmm, good!!!"

Blog Entries

IIRC, along those same lines the Cusano 18 Paired Maduro is another "true" double maduro but it was CT Broadleaf and Brazillian....can't remember for sure which was wrapper and which was the binder and I'm too damn lazy to look it up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    IIRC, along those same lines the Cusano 18 Paired Maduro is another "true" double maduro but it was CT Broadleaf and Brazillian....can't remember for sure which was wrapper and which was the binder and I'm too damn lazy to look it up.
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...uro?highlight=

...used the tags to find that...

Uncle Tupelo

I've tried them and they are the methadone to a Fuente. If you can't afford the good stuff the alternative will do but don't buy them thinking they replicate a Fuente. Outside of Nica Libre I've yet to find an alternative of anything that tasted as good as the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    I've tried them and they are the methadone to a Fuente. If you can't afford the good stuff the alternative will do but don't buy them thinking they replicate a Fuente. Outside of Nica Libre I've yet to find an alternative of anything that tasted as good as the real thing.
    if they cannot stand up on their own as a good cigar, I can't think why they'd be more appealing as an "alternate"

Thread Information