Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thompson Cigar Co - It isnt so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by househarley View Post
    Yes, do all of that and post it here. Oh and make it fast. Save the spreadsheet in Windows 97 format, haven't upgraded yet.

I suppose you get your kicks trolling the new members to the forum, don't like my post? Don't respond. Or troll me, that's fine. But if you think this childish rant is going to stop me from asking my stupid "noob" questions you might wanna save some time typing and just move onto the next post.

"This noob got on a cigar smokers forum and ask about online cigar retailers, even worse he expected us to respond like this is some kind of community cigar forum! Go away loser!"

Lucky for me I think trolls are hilarious, I suppose you get on medical forums and harass people who post medical questions. You are my hero.

I'm trying hard to make sense of what you're saying in your post about "trolls" and "childish rants" and the like. I'm not sure what all the anxiety is - but I hope smoking a cigar helps to even you out. Works for me!!!

Anyways... Am I ever in a quandry. I really want to meet your needs and I'm seriously trying to hook up with a member on this board that has Excel 97. I'm just not having much luck. I also checked with my co-workers, friends, relatives - anyone I could think of that might still have a copy. I'm striking out in all counts. I know you have a tight deadline, but I'm so sorry bud - I don't see that I'm going to be able to get you the spreadsheet anytime soon.

I really hope you're not too upset. I'd hate to see you walk away with a poor opinion of our community. Stick around - I'll try to figure out some way to make it up to you...

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    But how do I find Google's website?

ETA: Can you guys post a list of the search engines you use please?
    I'm only aware of Google. You can find it at www.google.com. There's not much there when you first open the screen, but trust me - you'll be shocked when you put something in the text box and hit "search".

So you're thinking there are other "search" engines? We potentially have a choice about other web sites that do searches of the internet? No way!!! Wow - that would be absolutely awesome!!!

Hey, I LIVE to ask those stupid newbie questions.
    One of the most ironic parts of growing old is sitting down and enjoying a smoke with the children who used to sneak around behind your back to smoke a cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by brotherdew View Post
    Hey, I LIVE to ask those stupid newbie questions.
    Check!

Now - this is kinda like the Tootsie Pop challenge. Just how many stupid newbie questions can one ask until they reach a place of enlightenment?

Day two of the "develop a online retailer list" spreadsheet for harleyhorse.

Update:
    Sitll no luck in finding Windows 97.

eBay - the purveyor of all things - does not have Windows 97. Bummer...

I had a line on Windows ME, but that did not pan out - the guy died before I was able to get there. The family, though, has promised it would consider selling me that software at the estate sale. I'm concerned this might lead to a bidding war...

I'm eyeing a municipal auction in a few weeks. It's rumored there might be some "slightly used" Gateway desktops up for auction. Don't know yet if they contain Windows 97 software but (fingers crossed) - this could be the "motherload"!
    Last edited by ggiese; 12-22-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Guess I am a little lost, Geez hope this is the only stupid thing I say, Just looked to me like someone was wondering where to buy from. I mean I live in a town with 2k people only true Walk-In humidor is worthless IMHO. Only thing I miss in WA. I buy 95% of my cigars online and TCC is one of the places, I am not happy with their tactics, coming from a Sales background the sales people have to make their quota or maybe look for another job.

I buy from CI (and it's sister site), Holts, TCC, JR. to name a few. Maybe I am looking at this post wrong and frankly I see it as someone asking others that have better insight into a good ONLINE Cigar company that you as a Brother of the Leaf can trust. TRUST is something that not everyone has for the Online world. I mean I don't like going to a i-want-your-money dot com site to find out that my Hard earned cash is now tied up and have to make a claim with my Credit Card company because 2 weeks ago I ordered and no reply to emails, or the run around on the phone when someone does take my call.

Google is our friend but can be a pain if not used right, So to the poster of this thread, Google for some cigar shops, Then Google again for the shop you want to order from and see what others are saying about that shop, I can tell you this If people have been burned from that site you will know it from looking them up in google. Like cheapercigars dot com. Sure you can get cigars there cheaper like my Oliva Serie V for 155.00 lol RIGHT sure that is what the Website says but do you get what you ordered? Maybe not and I am not going to tie up my HARD EARNED CASH.

Good Luck in finding a good cigar place online there are loads of them. Wish there was a place that had the ability to know who is good or bad before I place my order.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Collective Cigars View Post
    Guess I am a little lost, Geez hope this is the only stupid thing I say, Just looked to me like someone was wondering where to buy from. I mean I live in a town with 2k people only true Walk-In humidor is worthless IMHO. Only thing I miss in WA. I buy 95% of my cigars online and TCC is one of the places, I am not happy with their tactics, coming from a Sales background the sales people have to make their quota or maybe look for another job.

I buy from CI (and it's sister site), Holts, TCC, JR. to name a few. Maybe I am looking at this post wrong and frankly I see it as someone asking others that have better insight into a good ONLINE Cigar company that you as a Brother of the Leaf can trust. TRUST is something that not everyone has for the Online world. I mean I don't like going to a i-want-your-money dot com site to find out that my Hard earned cash is now tied up and have to make a claim with my Credit Card company because 2 weeks ago I ordered and no reply to emails, or the run around on the phone when someone does take my call.

Google is our friend but can be a pain if not used right, So to the poster of this thread, Google for some cigar shops, Then Google again for the shop you want to order from and see what others are saying about that shop, I can tell you this If people have been burned from that site you will know it from looking them up in google. Like cheapercigars dot com. Sure you can get cigars there cheaper like my Oliva Serie V for 155.00 lol RIGHT sure that is what the Website says but do you get what you ordered? Maybe not and I am not going to tie up my HARD EARNED CASH.

Good Luck in finding a good cigar place online there are loads of them. Wish there was a place that had the ability to know who is good or bad before I place my order.

J

J - let me ask you this... Are you willing to invest time and effort to become part of a community of cigars smokers? Actually contribute by participating and helping other members out? Maybe Laugh - sometimes joke - look for opportunities to trade with others? In other words - develop a relationship with the others on this site? Would all of that be worthwhile to you?

...or are you just here to suck whatever information you can out of the members here as quick as you can?

Look at it this way. Liken you curiosity about cigars and cigar retailers to fishing. Do you prefer catching fish by dropping explosives in the water? ...or are you one that catches fish by the time honored methods?
    Last edited by ggiese; 12-23-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Hello, I am here to help, Be a Brother of the Leaf, give as much as I can. Offer what I know. I have said hello and told about myself as I am new and waiting for Mod to ok the post I guess as it said. Not looking to take from anyone. Was that as my post came across, Sorry.

J

Hello, I am here to help, Be a Brother of the Leaf, give as much as I can. Offer what I know. I have said hello and told about myself as I am new and waiting for Mod to ok the post I guess as it said. Not looking to take from anyone. Was that as my post came across, Sorry.

J
    Then you will be a very welcomed member in this community.

Those that are here to fish with explosives are very irritating...

J
    No J your post came across just as you intended it was a question about why a new member was responded to the way he was. The reason Harley got the response he did, and the reason ggiese asked you the questions he did, has to do with "the first post give me sources" scenario. That is really the equivalent of just stopping by to ask directions. The problem with that is if we answer the source question every time someone asked we would have 5000 threads saying the same thing started by guys who just stopped by to ask "hey where do ya'll buy your cigars?" and then left never to be heard from again. We simply prefer that you are actually intending to hang out a bit and really get to know the members before we waste are time telling you where to buy. The point is we would be more than happy to tell you some good online shops at which to get good deals if you give us the impression that you really want to hang out and be a part of the forum.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

No worries. thank you for the explanation.

J

Blog Entries

J
    Collective, it only took the harleyhorse guy 46 hours to prove to us that he's a jackass and he's never coming back. Now granted, it was pretty easy to tell from his first post which seemed all sweet and innocent but the signs were there and he confirmed that he's an immature toad with his subsequent comments.

And never mind that, Thompson's is terrible and no one I know buys anything from them I live in a town of 2000 people too but I buy ZERO percent of my cigars on-line. When I used to buy them on-line I used:

Famous-Smoke
    Cigars International
    JR Cigars
    Superior Cigars
    Holt's
    Atlantic Cigar
    Camino Viejo - the guys who owns this site owns that company

The Tobacco Shop - Hartford, CT
    The Owl Shop - New Haven, CT
    Two Guys Smoke Shop - various locations in New Hampshire
    L.J. Peretti - Boston, MA
    Regency Cigar - East Greenwich, RI
    Nick's Cigar World - North Myrtle Beach, SC
    Uncle Mikey's Cigar aka Mr. Bundles - Richmond, VA

The last seven do mail order on some items and I highly recommend all seven of these because I've personally visited all of them and have bought cigars from them.

I can proudly say I've NEVER bought anything from Thompson's and I never will.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Famous Smoke is the only site I have used and I have been very pleased with what I have purchased. I have actually used their auction site the most, purchasing 5 packs at reduced prices. This has given me an opportunity to find my palette as I grow as a smoker. I do have a few sticks in my humi that I am not too fond of, but it has been fun finding my way.
    The benefit of going to a B&M is you can find people who are knowledgeable who can help you find something that you will like without taking as big a gamble.
    One of the most ironic parts of growing old is sitting down and enjoying a smoke with the children who used to sneak around behind your back to smoke a cigarette.

14. Default

The benefit of going to a B&M is you can find people who are knowledgeable who can help you find something that you will like without taking as big a gamble.
    Be careful of what you learn at a B/M store. I do not go to the Ford dealer to learn about Fords. Remember 75% of the B/M store owners are just businessmen and repeat sales rep boilerplate that is fed to them.
    The older I get ,the better I was

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Be careful of what you learn at a B/M store. I do not go to the Ford dealer to learn about Fords. Remember 75% of the B/M store owners are just businessmen and repeat sales rep boilerplate that is fed to them.
    "It's not mold. I'ts plume", comes to mind.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Some great advice has been given to you!
    I would just like to add a few sources to Cat’s list.
    I smoke a lot of what would be considered “boutique” cigars.
    New Havana Cigars
    Charmed Leaf
    Jack Schwartz
    Serious Cigars
    Egars
    Silo cigars
    Tower cigars
    I buy 95% of my cigars from this list along with Atlantic cigars that Bill has already mentioned.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I exclusively buy all of my online cigars off of eBay. I have a solid money back guarantee. ...and I'm not aware of any other e-tailer that has a seller raiting!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I exclusively buy all of my online cigars off of eBay. I have a solid money back guarantee. ...and I'm not aware of any other e-tailer that has a seller raiting!
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    I guess I misspoke. I meant to say a B&M store you trust.
    I drive 2 hours to get to a shop I trust. There are two an hour or so closer, but one is highly overpriced and the other is not much more than a discount tobacco shop.
    The shop in Little Rock that I shop at has always started by asking what I am looking for and I can honestly say that they have never tried to push a brand on me. They tend to start by suggesting the $10-15 cigars, but when I politely told them that wasn't my price range they spent just as much time helping me shop for a $3-6 stick as they did the people around me who were spending more money.

20. Default

The shop in Little Rock that I shop at has always started by asking what I am looking for and I can honestly say that they have never tried to push a brand on me. They tend to start by suggesting the $10-15 cigars, but when I politely told them that wasn't my price range they spent just as much time helping me shop for a $3-6 stick as they did the people around me who were spending more money.
    Unfortunately, you can't get a premium cigar for less than about $10 in Arkansas. Damn 68% state tobacco tax.

Thread Information