Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thompson Cigar Co - It isnt so bad...

1. Default Thompson Cigar Co - It isnt so bad...

Googling for a review of a cigar I saw on Thompon's site I came by a helpful review by a user here. Seems like a cool spot to get opinions and learn from more experienced cigar smokers. The more I read the more I get the sense that the consensus is Thompson Cigar is the devil lol. I have been ordering from them for years, their better brand cigars always come fresh (Gurkha, Perdomo, Rocky Patel etc.) and it really seems like they always have the best prices. After a couple years of getting a call harassing me after every order I made, I posted on their Facebook page with a complaint and they stopped calling me (and sent me a free sampler).

I have ordered a couple times from Cigars International but both orders were dried out. First were Rocky Patel, second were Gurkha's. I ordered Principes from Famous-smoke and they arrived fast and were cheaper than Thompson, but they were machine made and sealed. Seems when I look at deals on these 3 sites Thompson always has the better deal.

Complaints about Thompson:
    Basically no Customer Service
    Off brand cigars can arrive dry, Thompson brand cigars basically all suck (Like smoking a newspaper)
    Harassing phone calls, got them to stop but still ridiculous (make a purchase and get rewarded by being spammed)

My main point? Walmart's customer service is non existent but most people shop there because of good prices and good product (The name brand stuff they carry lol)

In any case, could anyone recommend some more online retailers with good deals?

*Puts up flame shield and braces for impact* fire away!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by househarley View Post
    Googling for a review of a cigar I saw on Thompon's site I came by a helpful review by a user here. Seems like a cool spot to get opinions and learn from more experienced cigar smokers. The more I read the more I get the sense that the consensus is Thompson Cigar is the devil lol. I have been ordering from them for years, their better brand cigars always come fresh (Gurkha, Perdomo, Rocky Patel etc.) and it really seems like they always have the best prices. After a couple years of getting a call harassing me after every order I made, I posted on their Facebook page with a complaint and they stopped calling me (and sent me a free sampler).

I have ordered a couple times from Cigars International but both orders were dried out. First were Rocky Patel, second were Gurkha's. I ordered Principes from Famous-smoke and they arrived fast and were cheaper than Thompson, but they were machine made and sealed. Seems when I look at deals on these 3 sites Thompson always has the better deal.

Complaints about Thompson:
    Basically no Customer Service
    Off brand cigars can arrive dry, Thompson brand cigars basically all suck (Like smoking a newspaper)
    Harassing phone calls, got them to stop but still ridiculous (make a purchase and get rewarded by being spammed)

My main point? Walmart's customer service is non existent but most people shop there because of good prices and good product (The name brand stuff they carry lol)

In any case, could anyone recommend some more online retailers with good deals?

*Puts up flame shield and braces for impact* fire away!
    I too, despise Thompson Cigar Co. However, I'm not a big fan of Walmart either...

Hang out, search around, and you'll see the different places pop up in posts. Sometimes, your local B&M can beat online prices.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

3. Default

I do like to shop at my local store (30 min away). Usually I just grab a cigar or 2. Sometimes they have good deals but to stock my humidor I rely on online stores because seems they have better prices in bulk and in some samplers. I always like the idea of supporting local retailers. Thanks for the feedback!
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain

There are a number of online vendors that beat Thompson's prices day to day.
    It's more than bad customer service ( and yes, I do use Thompson once in a great while).
    When you place an order and give your home and/or cell # you will be bombarded with cold sales calls.
    Orders can take weeks to arrive. They do not updat thier site so when you order something a week later you get an email saying "Sold Out".
    My advice, open your account with a phantom email address. Give a fake phone number, And DO NOT order anything that you want or need right away.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

I agree with my counterparts above....the hassle of Thompson's isn't worth the savings. If they were consistent in their savings or stock, I'd consider. They just seem only to care about my wallet, and not me as a cigar smoker/consumer.

What the whale said. Search the forum for other online vendors. The owner of this board has an online cigar shop as well....

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

My brother-in-law used to use Thompson's exclusively. Usually for samplers and such. SOME of the samplers are okay deals, but many are loaded with shit sticks with the odd decent one sprinkled in. The problem is that they usually replace the decent ones with other shit sticks based on availability which they say they will do right on their website without even asking. Now that my brother-in-law has certain cigars he reaches for, I have turned him on to other sites because Thompson's is considerably more for the same sticks that can be found elsewhere. He also gets the phone calls on a weekly basis and emails daily.

Mark

I've given my number to online retailers in the past so they could call in case there was a problem with the order, and even then in the off-chance that happens they still email. I think I'll think twice about handing that out from now on...

8. Default

"They aren't so bad". You're a very tolerent fellow. They are bad and Walmart is worse.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    "They aren't so bad". You're a very tolerent fellow. They are bad and Walmart is worse.

Doc
    I just wanna point out, Doc - in the "who's worst" war Thompson's may not be worst than Walmart - but they ain't far behind.

harleyhorse - I get it you want this community to "step up" and give you our sources. Makes absolute sense, if you really don't know where to go and you think Thompson's is the "bomb".

How would you like us to handle that request? Should we just all post up in public where we all buy cigars - give you some idea about pricing, delivery terms, taxes, shipping, quality, etc.? Or - is it better for us to all co-develop a spreadsheet for you where we matrix all of this information into one convenient package?

There's been an awful lot of new members recently that have been highly critical of how we treat the newbies. I feel bad and I know I speak for the others when I say we just really want to make sure we're meeting your needs.
    Last edited by ggiese; 12-20-2011 at 02:15 PM.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    harleyhorse - I get it you want this community to "step up" and give you our sources. Makes absolute sense, if you really don't know where to go and you think Thompson's is the "bomb".

How would you like us to handle that request? Should we just all post up in public where we all buy cigars - give you some idea about pricing, delivery terms, taxes, shipping, quality, etc.? Or - is it better for us to all co-develop a spreadsheet for you where we matrix all of this information into one convenient package?

There's been an awful lot of new members recently that have been highly critical of how we treat the newbies. I feel bad and I know I speak for the others when I say we just really want to make sure we're meeting your needs.
    Yes, do all of that and post it here. Oh and make it fast. Save the spreadsheet in Windows 97 format, haven't upgraded yet.

I suppose you get your kicks trolling the new members to the forum, don't like my post? Don't respond. Or troll me, that's fine. But if you think this childish rant is going to stop me from asking my stupid "noob" questions you might wanna save some time typing and just move onto the next post.

"This noob got on a cigar smokers forum and ask about online cigar retailers, even worse he expected us to respond like this is some kind of community cigar forum! Go away loser!"

Lucky for me I think trolls are hilarious, I suppose you get on medical forums and harass people who post medical questions. You are my hero.
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain

12. Default

Oh and a general note, sure people could post some sites they use and like. Or they can keep it to themselves if that's what they want, I'm not gonna hunt anyone down.

ggiese is acting like I asked people to post their receipts LOL! I guess I'm not current on cigar etiquette, is it inappropriate to ask someone about retailers they like?

"Should we just all post up in public where we all buy cigars" - You would think I was asking him to list his medical prescriptions.

I'm gonna love this forum...

Blog Entries

Yes, do all of that and post it here. Oh and make it fast. Save the spreadsheet in Windows 97 format, haven't upgraded yet.

I suppose you get your kicks trolling the new members to the forum, don't like my post? Don't respond. Or troll me, that's fine. But if you think this childish rant is going to stop me from asking my stupid "noob" questions you might wanna save some time typing and just move onto the next post.

"This noob got on a cigar smokers forum and ask about online cigar retailers, even worse he expected us to respond like this is some kind of community cigar forum! Go away loser!"

Lucky for me I think trolls are hilarious, I suppose you get on medical forums and harass people who post medical questions. You are my hero.
    :yawn:
    You have made some erroneous assumptions in regards to the workings of this specific forum; seems to be a contagious disease lately. You have also demonstrated your sense of entitlement and have even acknowledged such behavior by your meager attempt at sarcasm in the opening of this post. It will be your own words that effectively "stop" you from asking stupid noob questions.

Besides, I thought you had your flame shield out and were bracing for impact

Christmas is truly a wonderful season!!

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    :yawn:
    You have made some erroneous assumptions in regards to the workings of this specific forum; seems to be a contagious disease lately. You have also demonstrated your sense of entitlement and have even acknowledged such behavior by your meager attempt at sarcasm in the opening of this post. It will be your own words that effectively "stop" you from asking stupid noob questions.

Besides, I thought you had your flame shield out and were bracing for impact

Christmas is truly a wonderful season!!
    Sarcasm is my shield!

Blog Entries

Gee, guys, this seems like a reasonable request. Maybe we should have some kind of 'Advertisers' or 'Stores' section in like an 'Marketplace' part of the forum, specifically to meet this guy's requests.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Sarcasm is my shield!
    Okey dokey, for your sake I certainly hope it's a round shield, free from any sharp edges.

Blog Entries

If only there was some sort of way a person could search the internet for places to buy cigars.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    If only there was some sort of way a person could search the internet for places to buy cigars.
    Buzz - there's this fairly recent development called "Google". It's a website you can go to search just about anything your heart desires. I know - you're thinking (much like I did initially) that this sounds too good to be true. But - I swear - it's going to absolutely revolutionize the way we do things on the internet!!!

A long time ago I had a 1997 version of Excel, and my browser was Mosaic. However, in order to take full advantage of the most current technology, a system upgrade is in order. Give it some serious thought... If you're considering using "Google" - I personally believe the payoff will be well worth the spend on the upgrade!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Buzz - there's this fairly recent development called "Google". It's a website you can go to search just about anything your heart desires. I know - you're thinking (much like I did initially) that this sounds too good to be true. But - I swear - it's going to absolutely revolutionize the way we do things on the internet!!!
    But how do I find Google's website?

ETA: Can you guys post a list of the search engines you use please?
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    But how do I find Google's website?

ETA: Can you guys post a list of the search engines you use please?
    I use my magic 8-Ball
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Thread Information