Thread: Coal / Wood stoves

Blog Entries

Default Coal / Wood stoves

Who has stoves, or CPS deterrants?

I have a Saey coal / wood stove. It's been suffering the last couple years with some cracks in the casting due to rust pressure. I completely disassembled it today. I'm not sure it like it, or that it was a good idea. Lots of broken bolts etc. I can fix it.

Anyway, I noticed and kinda knew that while it was made to be disassembled, that was only marginal as they put it together with stove cement at all the joints.

What I was wondering is if anyone things I can use that fiberglass rope to re-assemble it rather than the cement. If so, I could probably take it apart more easily in the future for say, a 5 year cleaning.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I've had two Vermont Castings wood stoves in the past.
    I think you would be fine with the fiberglass gasket. They are made for high temps.
    Make sure you have a CM detector in the room just to be sure.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

3. Default

My dad did some work on his Jotul#4 and I think he used fiberglass rope type stuff on the door
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I've had two Vermont Castings wood stoves in the past.
    I think you would be fine with the fiberglass gasket. They are made for high temps.
    Make sure you have a CM detector in the room just to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    My dad did some work on his Jotul#4 and I think he used fiberglass rope type stuff on the door
    Yeah, the draft door on the bottom, and the feed door above it both have the fiberglass rope. Same on the side feed door, and the load lid. I guess I'm talking about the actual construction joints of the sides, bottom and top. Not the moveable parts once it's together.

I think I'm answering my own question here. I guess I need to use the joint compound on the stationary parts. Probably only needs taken apart every 10yrs or so.

Thanks,
    Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Can't believe none of you Canda guys haven't chimed in.

Anyone ever weld cast iron?

Will

Uncle Tupelo

6. Default

Will welding cast iron usually ends up cracking of failing. Oh and I think its f**k your uncle week in Canada so you will mot hear from them for a whilke
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Will welding cast iron usually ends up cracking of failing. Oh and I think its f**k your uncle week in Canada so you will mot hear from them for a whilke
    Yeah. I should take some pics of what I'm trying to do. There are tabs around the thing that are used to bolt the pieces together while the stove cement cures. I don't think they're critical, but probably when it heats up, welded cast will crack right where I welded....

Hmmm. I read if you heat the cast prior to welding, like, 100degF, it does better.

Also, there's a yoke that holds the shaker grate up. That broke years ago, and the weld I put on that held up. Still, the temp force of a bolt on a cast weld will probably break. Maybe I can drill and tap some sort of jig-rig setup.

Got a price on a smaller, but about the same size Saey. 1880ish. I'll try some welds first.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post

Will
    The majority of us heat using natural gas. At least, where I'm located.

While a lot of homes have fireplaces and wood burning heaters, those aren't used as a main source of heat. Don't forget, where I'm living it get's awful cold with average winter temps of -20 C (-4 F), spells of -30 C (-22 F) and usually a few days of 'REAL freaking cold' with temps of -40 C (-40 F) and lower. That's all not including the windchill factor which makes it all a whole lot colder.

I think if one was to compare, it would cost more to heat with wood than natural gas. Not only that but, I can be gone for a couple days, leave the house empty and with gas heat, not have to have someone stop by and stoke the fire regularly to keep the house from freezing up. I just turn the thermostat down a few degrees and pray the heater doesn't conk out while I'm away.....lol

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians. I hope you have a good one!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Will
    Where the fock is "Canda"?

I don't but my brother knows how to weld cast iron. It's easy with the right rod. When he gets done f#$king his uncle, I'll ask him for more details. Won't be until next week though...
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    The majority of us heat using natural gas. At least, where I'm located.

While a lot of homes have fireplaces and wood burning heaters, those aren't used as a main source of heat. Don't forget, where I'm living it get's awful cold with average winter temps of -20 C (-4 F), spells of -30 C (-22 F) and usually a few days of 'REAL freaking cold' with temps of -40 C (-40 F) and lower. That's all not including the windchill factor which makes it all a whole lot colder.

I think if one was to compare, it would cost more to heat with wood than natural gas. Not only that but, I can be gone for a couple days, leave the house empty and with gas heat, not have to have someone stop by and stoke the fire regularly to keep the house from freezing up. I just turn the thermostat down a few degrees and pray the heater doesn't conk out while I'm away.....lol

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians. I hope you have a good one!
    Just a regular ole day here in Nova Scotia, we don't get as excited here in the Maritimes about Canadian "Thanksgiving" as the rest of you. Was thinking about taking a day trip to the Glennora Distillery but I had too much to do today. Besides, too many tourists on the roads getting in their last days of driving for no apparent reason so you can count me out.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

... and, tabernac, it is motherf*cker. The song in the South Park movie was changed to uncle f*cker to avoid the movie getting an X rating (in the US) or some such cr*p.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Where the fock is "Canda"?
    Just makin' sure you don't have me on "ignore"

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Just a regular ole day here in Nova Scotia, we don't get as excited here in the Maritimes about Canadian "Thanksgiving" as the rest of you. Was thinking about taking a day trip to the Glennora Distillery but I had too much to do today. Besides, too many tourists on the roads getting in their last days of driving for no apparent reason so you can count me out.
    LOL - yeah, pretty much a regular day here too. I don't get all that excited about Thanksgiving myself. Although my wifey makes a great bird and fixings so that much was excellent. I ate too much of course! I was more excited about a stat holiday than the holiday itself......heh heh heh

The good news is, it was just me and my lady and we were all done by 3 pm. She had to go for a nap (I wasn't the only one that ate too much) and since the sun was shining on my south facing deck, I snuck outside with a Rocky Patel "The Edge" and sat in the sun and read and smoked for close to 2 hours.

Does it get any better than getting paid to sit out in the sun and puff on a good cigar??
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

An update for anyone who may stumble across this frivolous thread...

I ended up just using stove cement to put it back together. I figured it would be another 10years before I tear it down again anyway. Works nice, sofar.

Also, I shitcanned the idea of welding the cast iron. Instead, where the tabs broke, I took a cutoff wheel, cleaned up the areas, and drilled and tapped bolts in to replicate the tabs. Seemed to work well, and now they're maintainable to an extent.

I've been burning as much wood as I can in the stove, and mix it with coal at night or when I'm at work to lengthen the burn time.

I did replace the fiberglass gasket on the front door, and that helped seal everything up, and the damper works like it should

Viva CPS deterrent!!!!!

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

An update for anyone who may stumble across this frivolous thread...

I ended up just using stove cement to put it back together. I figured it would be another 10years before I tear it down again anyway. Works nice, sofar.

Also, I shitcanned the idea of welding the cast iron. Instead, where the tabs broke, I took a cutoff wheel, cleaned up the areas, and drilled and tapped bolts in to replicate the tabs. Seemed to work well, and now they're maintainable to an extent.

I've been burning as much wood as I can in the stove, and mix it with coal at night or when I'm at work to lengthen the burn time.

I did replace the fiberglass gasket on the front door, and that helped seal everything up, and the damper works like it should

Viva CPS deterrent!!!!!

Will
    Yeah, probably the best move. As I told you in an email, my brother said the only real good rod to use is cost prohibitive and if he had some left over, I would have made him send you a couple of rods but he didn't have any left.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information