Thread: Cigar Box and Varnish

1. Default Cigar Box and Varnish

I bought a vintage cigar box today (cedar inside and out) and it will be used as a humidor. I am debating if I should treat yje outside with oil or varnish. I was thinking varnish may help seal in the humidity but I am concerned it may infiltrate the wood and create an issue with how the wood interacts with the moisture. Any thoughts?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonteCristoValentine View Post
    I bought a vintage cigar box today (cedar inside and out) and it will be used as a humidor. I am debating if I should treat yje outside with oil or varnish. I was thinking varnish may help seal in the humidity but I am concerned it may infiltrate the wood and create an issue with how the wood interacts with the moisture. Any thoughts?
    This sounds like it won't work at all. JMHO.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

3. Default

That's not helpful at all. It is working fine, I just wanted to improve the aesthetic appearance without messing up the wood. Hence the specific question to varnish. I was hoping for a constructive response considering this was a well thought out gift.

Blog Entries

That's not helpful at all. It is working fine, I just wanted to improve the aesthetic appearance without messing up the wood. Hence the specific question to varnish. I was hoping for a constructive response considering this was a well thought out gift.
    Don't get all butthurt.

Is it a humidor, or a cigar box? Cigar boxes aren't meant for long term storage, unless you live in say, the Dominican Republic.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Moreover, how do you know it's working fine if you just bought it today? That makes no sense, or proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Almost like the person who wanted to turn the bedside end table into a humidor, and was all offended when told it's not worth the effort.

Great gift.

Uncle Tupelo

Cigar boxes make good temporary humidors but if you want a humidor for long term storage buy a real humidor.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

This is not a good idea at all. For one thing, a cigar box is not a humidor any more than a portable cooler is a refrigerator. Sure, it will keep your beer cold - for a day. But that cigar box (even vintage ones) don't have the seals like a humidor would (which is much more important than the density of the wood) and like has been said previously, would really only work for maybe a long weekend, if you had a good humidification device inside. Instead, I'd still keep the box, wouldn't 'varnish it' (as a woodworker, the thought of doing this to wood actually turns my stomach), but build a coolerdor and include this box in my collection. Why destroy something that's vintage? Would you paint a '67 Mustang a neon green color? Of course not.

Was it?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

If you're planning on having so much humidity inside this box that you're concerned it will leak through the wood......ya got other problems to worry about. Like mrtr said, why the hell would you want to screw up a vintage box anyway?

Thread Information