Thread: College student, cant find the cigar for me

Default College student, cant find the cigar for me

Over the past year, i have come to the realization that i love cigars. A friend originally got me to try Backwoods, and thats what set off my interest. I received a 1964 anniversary addition padron for my birthday and LOVED it. And, while it was delicious, it is unfortunately out of my price range, not to mention i usually do not have time for a big cigar like that. So, ive mainly been sticking to backwoods. This christmas, i visited my family in europe, and while there, picked up a box of dutch Justus Van Maurik petite pantillas for 15 euros. Hands down my favorite cigarillo/small cigar. So much so that i really am not enjoying backwoods like i used too. This is where my problem arises. i looked EVERYWHERE, and cannot find Justus van maurik cigars in America. After much searching, i decided to ask you fine gentlemen ( and ladies) your opinion. What i am really looking for is a small cigar, that doesnt take long to smoke but has a full, thick? flavor. i apologize as my cigar lingo probably isnt really top notch here. Another problem is my price range. I am going to school while working minimum wage, so i cant really drop alot of money. I am a fan of sweeter cigars, though i still like it to have a very.. dark? flavor. backwoods seem far to mild after my encounter with these dutch cigars. Any suggestions would be welcome, and i hope to stick around on these forums for a while and learn a few things here and there.

Thanks!

For reference, these are the cigars i picked up while in europe.

EDIT: i would also like to mention that the dutch cigars i got also give me a very nice headbuzz. Even one of the cigarillos does a pretty good job. it would take at least 3 or 4 backwoods to replicate the effect.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lYGmyP9d4X...E/s1600/a1.JPG
    Last edited by SirJon; 01-28-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirJon View Post
    Over the past year, i have come to the realization that i love cigars. A friend originally got me to try Backwoods, and thats what set off my interest. I received a 1964 anniversary addition padron for my birthday and LOVED it. And, while it was delicious, it is unfortunately out of my price range, not to mention i usually do not have time for a big cigar like that. So, ive mainly been sticking to backwoods. This christmas, i visited my family in europe, and while there, picked up a box of dutch Justus Van Maurik petite pantillas for 15 euros. Hands down my favorite cigarillo/small cigar. So much so that i really am not enjoying backwoods like i used too. This is where my problem arises. i looked EVERYWHERE, and cannot find Justus van maurik cigars in America. After much searching, i decided to ask you fine gentlemen ( and ladies) your opinion. What i am really looking for is a small cigar, that doesnt take long to smoke but has a full, thick? flavor. i apologize as my cigar lingo probably isnt really top notch here. Another problem is my price range. I am going to school while working minimum wage, so i cant really drop alot of money. I am a fan of sweeter cigars, though i still like it to have a very.. dark? flavor. backwoods seem far to mild after my encounter with these dutch cigars. Any suggestions would be welcome, and i hope to stick around on these forums for a while and learn a few things here and there.

Thanks!

For reference, these are the cigars i picked up while in europe.

EDIT: i would also like to mention that the dutch cigars i got also give me a very nice headbuzz. Even one of the cigarillos does a pretty good job. it would take at least 3 or 4 backwoods to replicate the effect.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lYGmyP9d4X...E/s1600/a1.JPG

Calling backwoods a cigar is akin to calling MD2020 a wine. I don't believe there's a scrap of tobacco in backwoods. Which likely explains why you really enjoyed the Padron - you finally smoked a REAL cigar.

I highly doubt you'll have much luck finding the Dutch cigars in the US - and if you do, taxes and import duties will likely give you sticker shock.

I would strongly suggest you find a local cigar shop (tobacconist) and have them recommend small cigars. There are quite a few nice small cigars at reasonable prices. Avoid going to a cigar shop that also sells water pipes - wrong place to look for a good cigar.

if you're ever out of the country (Europe, particularly), look for Quinteros Brevas. Dollar for dollar, the cheapest small cigar I've smoked that will absolutely knock your socks off.

...and stick to getting the college education done, so you can easily afford nice cigars.

Good luck!.

thanks for the reply! one more question if you dont mind, is there a major difference in quality going from cigarillos to "small cigars"? after poking around on a few online stores, most of the small cigars are thicker than cigarillos. Is there a major difference in quality, or is it just a size preference?

And thanks, i will be sure to see if i cant find a local shop, and ask them to help me out.

Cigarillos = chopped up tobacco like a cigarette machine made.
    Small cigars = long leaf some times mixed tobacco mostly hand made.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

The cigars you speak about a dry cured, try these.
    Villiger Export
    Villiger Kiel
    Schimmelpenninck Duet
    Schimmelpenninck Panatella
    Braniff Chico's
    Davidoff Demi Tasse
    Davidoff Panatellas
    I also order Dutch Olifant from a European Vendor.These are not available in the USA due to the fact they have
    a small amount of Cuban Tobacco in them.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I like Mehari's every now and then when I want a quick cigar.

You might want to have a quick look at their site and check out what they offer and if you're interested, see if you can find them either at a local B&M or with an online vendor.

http://www.mehariscigars.com/
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

thanks for the replys! i think im going to pick up a few of those Mehari's. they look pretty good, and more importantly, are within my price range xD i appreciate the help!

Thread Information