Thread: Reviving a whole box

Blog Entries

Default Reviving a whole box

I bought a whole box of La Caya Maduro torpedoes. They all burn like a something badly rolled in the 70's. They burn very uneven, and split down from where they are lit, and sometimes I get a smell that smells like wax burning- like a candle going out. I've attempted 7 or 8 of them and they have all behaved the same. I've had them in a humidor at around 75 humidity for about two months, now, but to no avail. Am I being impatient?
    If they're no good, I'll pitch them without hesitation, but I'd hate to do that only to find out I didn't give them enough time.

Thanks,
    ash13brook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    I bought a whole box of La Caya Maduro torpedoes. They all burn like a something badly rolled in the 70's. They burn very uneven, and split down from where they are lit, and sometimes I get a smell that smells like wax burning- like a candle going out. I've attempted 7 or 8 of them and they have all behaved the same. I've had them in a humidor at around 75 humidity for about two months, now, but to no avail. Am I being impatient?
    If they're no good, I'll pitch them without hesitation, but I'd hate to do that only to find out I didn't give them enough time.

Thanks,
    ash13brook
    So, why is this titled "reviving a whole box"? Did you buy them from someone that didn't have a humidor and stored them in the open and they were dried out?

What your describing as splitting usually happens when the humidity is too high. 75rh is too high for cigars, IMO.

If they were dried out, I suspect they're probably toast, however I guess you can get them back to a condition where they would at least burn correctly.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I bought them from Cuban Crafters on sale. I guess I assumed when they burned badly, they were dried out.
    Should I maybe let them get down to a lower humidity in my humidor? And what should my humidity be?
    Advice appreciated. I'm new at the 'box' thing. I usually buy a few at a time.

Thanks,
    Matt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    I bought them from Cuban Crafters on sale. I guess I assumed when they burned badly, they were dried out.
    Should I maybe let them get down to a lower humidity in my humidor? And what should my humidity be?
    Advice appreciated. I'm new at the 'box' thing. I usually buy a few at a time.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Search around a bit. I've read some methods on how to rehabilitate cigars on here...

I've seen people recommend rh from as low as 55 up to about 70. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most people prefer 65rh or less down to about 60rh.

I wouldn't assume that since they were on sale, they were dried out. Dried out should run without burn issues, but a more black ash, rather than a normal white ash. Should burn hot too if dried out.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information