Thread: New guy with a humidor question

1. Default New guy with a humidor question

Hey everybody,

I am new to the forum but found it while surfing the other day. I smoked the occasional cigar for the past few years now and am looking into picking up my first official humidor. I'm looking into getting a Bally Rosewood Humidor and am curious if anyone else has something similar. I haven't been able to find any reviews of this particular humidor, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Default

Beats me, got a link or a pic ?
    The older I get ,the better I was

3. Default

Decent looking box for the money. I dont know the seller but most humis are made in china and the ones I have are decent .

4. Default

Look on www.cubancrafters.com
    They sell nice humidors too

Looks like a nice humidor to start out with.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

6. Default

it looks pretty good. I think I will get one too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timlisten View Post
    Hey, don't you owe cigars to some of our members?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I guess timlisten does not listen to well
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Quote Originally Posted by timlisten View Post
    Did you ever get your PM issue sorted out?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Tim's still not responding to my PM's..

11. Default

I got the humidor and it looks great. I want to set it up but I have a problem with the hydrometer. I mixed some salt and water into a salt water/paste mixture and put it in a bag with the hydrometer. The directions said it should take about 6 hours for it to get to about 75% humidity. If it does, then I know it is all set and can pop it into the humidor. However, it has been a few days now and it hasn't gone past 60% humidity. Should I put it into the humidor, finish setting it up and hope that the hydrometer is accurate, or should I get a new hydrometer? I've seen some electronic ones for pretty cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimFan777 View Post
    I got the humidor and it looks great. I want to set it up but I have a problem with the hydrometer. I mixed some salt and water into a salt water/paste mixture and put it in a bag with the hydrometer. The directions said it should take about 6 hours for it to get to about 75% humidity. If it does, then I know it is all set and can pop it into the humidor. However, it has been a few days now and it hasn't gone past 60% humidity. Should I put it into the humidor, finish setting it up and hope that the hydrometer is accurate, or should I get a new hydrometer? I've seen some electronic ones for pretty cheap.
    What you're doing with the salt is creating a condition of nearly perfect 75rh. You're supposed to calibrate your analog to 75rh if it's not.

Get a digital one, and / or get humidity beads.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

The analog hygrometer you are checking is prone to innacuracy. You will have to adjust the setting to 75% at this point. And you'll have to check it from time to time for accuracy. Read the instructions that came with the unit to make the necessary adjustment. It's not a big deal - usually just a small turn of the slot somwhere on the back of the unit. Be careful, though - you can break it if you don't adjust it with care.

You're best off, though, picking up a digital hygrometer. They're relatively inexpensive and they are usually dead on accurate (without the need to calibrate).

14. Default

I picked up a small digital thermometer/hygrometer and it seems to be working out well. My latest issue is prepping and seasoning the humidor. This thing has been a bitch to prep. I tried following the instructions that came with the guide (which said to put a shot glass filled with distilled water in there for a few days), but I haven't gone past 42% humidity. I tried putting the little humidifier puck with some humi-gel to help speed things up, and it still is at 42%.

I am hesitant to rub the walls down with a damp cloth as I've read articles/seen youtube videos both for and against doing that. I'm going on 4 or 5 days now. Should it take this long? Any tips?

I picked up a small digital thermometer/hygrometer and it seems to be working out well. My latest issue is prepping and seasoning the humidor. This thing has been a bitch to prep. I tried following the instructions that came with the guide (which said to put a shot glass filled with distilled water in there for a few days), but I haven't gone past 42% humidity. I tried putting the little humidifier puck with some humi-gel to help speed things up, and it still is at 42%.

I am hesitant to rub the walls down with a damp cloth as I've read articles/seen youtube videos both for and against doing that. I'm going on 4 or 5 days now. Should it take this long? Any tips?
    Just wipe it down with a damp clean uncented sponge and distiled water.
    I do every one of my new humidors like that "6 so far" and have had no problems.
    Just a damp sponge not soaking wet.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Thread Information