Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labeling cigars in your humidor

Default Labeling cigars in your humidor

I have been smoking cigars for years but still consider myself a novice. I order cigars 4 or 5 times a year via internet and buy a few here an there from stores. When I buy on the internet, allot of times I buy samplers, with cigars I have not tried before, along with a few I already know I like. Many times all the cigars just come in a bag inside a box without letting me know which is which, not that I can't sort em out. Does anyone ever label their cigars before they put them in the humi? I have thought of doing so to remember which is which, but am not sure if the ink/label/adhesive etc would affect the taste. Any ideas? Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyebw View Post
    I have been smoking cigars for years but still consider myself a novice. I order cigars 4 or 5 times a year via internet and buy a few here an there from stores. When I buy on the internet, allot of times I buy samplers, with cigars I have not tried before, along with a few I already know I like. Many times all the cigars just come in a bag inside a box without letting me know which is which, not that I can't sort em out. Does anyone ever label their cigars before they put them in the humi? I have thought of doing so to remember which is which, but am not sure if the ink/label/adhesive etc would affect the taste. Any ideas? Thanks
    The only cigars I label anymore are those from gifts / trades, or when I "need" to know the production date. A little piece of scotch tape works just fine. Write what you want on it and stick it to the cello. For cigars with no cello, you can purchase blank cigar bands.....write on 'em and put them on the cigar. Do a search for blank bands...here and/or on google.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks man, I appreciate the insight, I like the blank band idea. Thanks for the welcome, I have been a member for a while, lurched from time to time, but rarely posted. I am going to most more often.

Just thought of something else, tell me what you think: For sticks without cello: make a little flag out of a toothpick and tape and oh so carefully slide it into the middle of the open end? What do you think, just "spitballen" here.

Blog Entries

Sounds like too much work, and an arranging nightmare when in the humi. I'd spend $20 bucks here: http://heartfeltindustries.com/prodd...sp?prod=CB_500
    but that's just me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyebw View Post
    Just thought of something else, tell me what you think: For sticks without cello: make a little flag out of a toothpick and tape and oh so carefully slide it into the middle of the open end? What do you think, just "spitballen" here.
    Seems complicated.

I just cut strips of paper, and cut scotch tape narrower than the paper. Not as nice as the pre-made bands, but effective.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Seems complicated.

I just cut strips of paper, and cut scotch tape narrower than the paper. Not as nice as the pre-made bands, but effective.
    I would do that too, but I'm not allowed to have scissors anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Even the safety scissors? That's hardcore I'm sure you warned not to run with them though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RWS_sign.gif 
Views:	387 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	2907

I have this sign in my computer room.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Post-it tags wrap around a cigar.

Blog Entries

For the non-cello wrapped cigars, I use white-out markers and write the manufacturer, vitola, name of cigar, date received, date of when I met the sender, probable smoke date, MSRP, probable date of smoking and the most recent puff.com review directly on the wrapper.

Go Bucks.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RWS_sign.gif 
Views:	387 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	2907

I have this sign in my computer room.
    That sign is the icon/motto of our team here at work - except we have a red circle/line through it (e.g. trying to prevent others from running with scissors). That's the worst thing that happens in any crisis - people running around with scissors...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    Even the safety scissors? That's hardcore I'm sure you warned not to run with them though...
    Well, see, it wasn't so much a concern for my safety that prompted the ban.

I date all my cello cigars. You can buy white labels at Staples, I think I pay around $1.00 for a pack of 500. For naked cigar I use blank bands, but only date the ones that are worth the time & effort.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Well, see, it wasn't so much a concern for my safety that prompted the ban.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    For the non-cello wrapped cigars, I use white-out markers and write the manufacturer, vitola, name of cigar, date received, date of when I met the sender, probable smoke date, MSRP, probable date of smoking and the most recent puff.com review directly on the wrapper.

Go Bucks.
    I adapted an ink-jet printer to spray square bar codes onto each cigar's cap. It uses food-grade vegetable ink so it is safe. The ink is a bit pricey, but is not very visible except under ultra-violet light. I just scan the code with my phone before clipping a cigar to retrieve info, update the database with the smoke date, and add any notes, pics, etc. (I cut out the UV filter on the phone's LED 'flash.')
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

wow, thanks for the opinions... all good

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I adapted an ink-jet printer to spray square bar codes onto each cigar's cap. It uses food-grade vegetable ink so it is safe. The ink is a bit pricey, but is not very visible except under ultra-violet light. I just scan the code with my phone before clipping a cigar to retrieve info, update the database with the smoke date, and add any notes, pics, etc. (I cut out the UV filter on the phone's LED 'flash.')

That is SO low-tech.....

I insert microchips into the head of all my cigars embedded with all the necessary information, where I bought it, how much I paid for it, information downloaded from anywhere and everywhere possible about the cigar. My chip reader then downloads the information to my SuperDuperReallySmart5GiPadPhone and the information is automatically updated while I smoke the cigar.

So take THAT you geek.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

19. Default

LOL Cat. I throw cigars in my humidor and pull them out and smoke then when the fucking mood hits me.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Mine doesn't involve insertion, works with ifruit and numbdroid, and posts to the appropriate thread here - and is Canadian.

So, like, take off, eh?

Besides, why use microchips when RFID tags would be better and much less expensive?

Thread Information