View Poll Results: Lighter Options - pick one!!

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring my own lighter and try to sneak it through security

2 6.25%
  • Wooden Matches

17 53.13%
  • Paper Matches

0 0%
  • Buy one at the airport when I get there.

6 18.75%
  • Pack it without fuel and have to buy some cheapass butane at the destination

4 12.50%
  • Charge through security metal detector screaming "Smokers Rights"!!!

3 9.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote now, how are you gonna deal with new TSA lighter regulations?

Default Vote now, how are you gonna deal with new TSA lighter regulations?

So how are you going to light up when you travel, with the TSA and their new lighter regulations???
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Iced T Guest

Kindling and two rocks.

Blog Entries

I don't fly (well hardly ever, I don'tget out much 'an all ) so it doesn't affect me. Does this mean you can't have a Zippo in your luggage either?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

i chose wooden matches because
    1) i always get searched at airports
    3) i don't like paper matches
    4) airports jack up prices to much
    5) only the best butane for me
    and 6) well that sounds tempting, but i'd rather not encure the wrath of the TSA

then again i don't plan on traveling soon.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    I don't fly (well hardly ever, I don'tget out much 'an all ) so it doesn't affect me. Does this mean you can't have a Zippo in your luggage either?

You can have one lighter, must be emptied of fuel and you must put it in your checked baggage (cannot carry one) according to the revised TSA regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by mithril
    i chose wooden matches because
    1) i always get searched at airports
    3) i don't like paper matches
    4) airports jack up prices to much
    5) only the best butane for me
    and 6) well that sounds tempting, but i'd rather not encure the wrath of the TSA

then again i don't plan on traveling soon.

Holy shit, why do you always get searched???

reaganyouth84 Guest

When I went to D.C. for inauguration back in January, I took my tobacco pipe. I thought the asses at the security gate took it, I couldn't find it for 3 weeks, it wasn't in the pocket I packed it in. I was so pissed off, I was like " that damn George W. Bush, small government conservative my ass, stealing my pipe at the airport." Then i found it in my dress shoes, lol.
    -Mike
    Last edited by reaganyouth84; 07-18-2005 at 11:43 PM.

8. Default

I'll probably pack it without fuel and if I can't find good butane at my destination then I'll resort to wooden matches......Commercial air travel sucks!
    The heat around the corner....

Default flick your bic

I always end up grabing a bic lighter, usually at my regular stop right after I leave the airport....where they sell booze.

TonyDogs Guest

Default I thought you could pack it

I thought you could pack it in your luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDogs
    I thought you could pack it in your luggage?

Yes you can, one only, and it must be empty of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    Holy shit, why do you always get searched???
    i think its cause i look evil. i used to dress kind of goth but now i don't. but they still search me.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

http://www.zippo.com/otterBox/zippoOtterBox.aspx

"Air travelers can now carry in their checked luggage, up to two previously-fueled Zippo lighters – if placed in an approved case.

The Zippo Cargo Case by OtterBox is the only container that complies with new DOT regulations. "

Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey
    http://www.zippo.com/otterBox/zippoOtterBox.aspx

"Air travelers can now carry in their checked luggage, up to two previously-fueled Zippo lighters – if placed in an approved case.

The Zippo Cargo Case by OtterBox is the only container that complies with new DOT regulations. "

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks. Now, we need a torch lighter that is TSA approved cause I don't like Zippos.

No way those TSA bastids are getting my Extend!!

I don't fly much either, so it's not a big deal. The last couple of times I flew, I had my humi and my lighter (a colibra) in my luggage and nobody messed with it. This was right after 9/11. I was however pulled aside and had the wand, shoes, etc inspected. I was traveling alone, with a one-way ticket too, I fit the profile I guess.

My wife loves to rib me about that one. LMAO

Are cutters allowed in carry on luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSpencer
    Are cutters allowed in carry on luggage?

It depends on the cutter, but I would not recommend it. If they judge it is a bladed item, it will be confiscated. Get yourself a nice punch cutter you can put on your keychain; they are not sharp enough to be judged a bladed item.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    It depends on the cutter, but I would not recommend it. If they judge it is a bladed item, it will be confiscated. Get yourself a nice punch cutter you can put on your keychain; they are not sharp enough to be judged a bladed item.
    Good idea, and a great excuse to buy a punch cutter.

Word to the wise:

You've always had to check your torch lighter anyway, it's just since April 14th that even zippos and bics are banned, heck even matches are banned.

But, word to the wise, DO NOT check your lighters at all, they will be stolen. TSA and airline companies are notorious for taking anything of value. This past spring I had my Colibri Tri-Cutta, Jabra Bluetooth Headset, and Apple iSight Camera stolen from my bag. The colibri was actually taken out of its box that it was wrapped in and re-wrapped. It ain't people of the utmost moral fiber working baggage, so do not put your favorite lighter anywhere near TSA or baggage claim people.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Default Gentlemen...and ladies

THE FOLLOWING QUOTED FROM SOUTHWEST AIRLINES:

TSA Adds all Lighters to Prohibited Items List
    Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will begin enforcing ban on April 14, 2005.

Effective March 1, 2005, Customers will no longer be permitted to carry lighters onboard commercial aircraft or in the sterile areas of the airport. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) implemented the ban and will begin enforcing it on Thursday, April 14. Customers will need to either surrender their lighters to the TSA, leave them in their vehicle, or leave them with someone who is not traveling. Congress passed this provision in a continued effort to enhance air travel security. Prohibiting lighters will reduce current security vulnerabilities and add another layer of defense. By packing smart and leaving your lighter at home, Customers can accelerate the screening process and get to their flights faster. The TSA prohibits lighters in both carry-on and checked luggage. TSA will be monitoring how the ban affects Customer wait times.

TSA separately is considering whether other ignition sources should be added to the Prohibited Items List. If the carriage of matches is added to the list, the TSA will publish an updated notice that modifies its current rule. Currently, Customers are permitted to carry up to four books of safety matches with them onboard.

END OF QUOTE

OK...I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah it seems insignificant but they are trying to make flying as safe as possible.

I wouldn't recommend trying to sneak anything on board. If you get caught enough times even for minor stuff you will find yourself on the no-fly list and it's a major pain to get off of it.

There was a news article a few months ago about a person who was placed on the no-fly list because of trying to take aboard metal nail files. They were placed on the list without being told only to find out on the next time they were flying.

I fly at least once a month. I don't care if they want to ban matches. Come on guys....it's a friggin' butane lighter for cryin' out loud. Buy one when you land and leave it behind.

I still love all of you

MMAB

Thread Information