Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cigars and blood tests

Default cigars and blood tests

hello. my name is jon I am 26 years old. I homebrew beer, and have never smoked in my life (habitually) I have however tasted a cigar or 2 before, and I very much enjoy the flavor. I decided i wanted to smoke a whole one. here is where it gets hairy.

at my job if you want the lower insurance premium you have to take a health assesment. one part of the assesment is a nicotene test. does anyone know a general idea of how long id have detectable nicotene in my system if I smoked 1 mild gispert toro cigar properly? (by properly I mean w/o inhaling)

thanx in advance, and pardon my typos I am slightly buzzed just got back from a good beer tasting, and that's where I got my cigar.

Wow. Is this real?
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by jaupro View Post
    at my job if you want the lower insurance premium
    I promise I'll answer your question once you answer mine... What company hired you?
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

OK, so I had some poor grammar while I was drunk and posted. I appologize, however I'm sure you were able to comprehend my question. Are you truly such an elitist that you talk to a new member like this? I simply have expressed an interest of smoking an occasional cirgar, perhaps on brew days. I was curious how much time I should give myselfbefore my health assesment. I don't feel it'd be fair to be penalized if I smoke a monthly cigar (or less) , the same way someone would be who smokes a pack of cigarettes/day. Can we please just answer the question?

Blog Entries

OK, so I had some poor grammar while I was drunk and posted. I appologize, however I'm sure you were able to comprehend my question. Are you truly such an elitist that you talk to a new member like this? I simply have expressed an interest of smoking an occasional cirgar, perhaps on brew days. I was curious how much time I should give myselfbefore my health assesment. I don't feel it'd be fair to be penalized if I smoke a monthly cigar (or less) , the same way someone would be who smokes a pack of cigarettes/day. Can we please just answer the question?
    LOL. This can't be real. But to answer your question, 100 years.

My doctor classifies a smoker as someone who smokes more than once a month. What do you think they are going to do, biopsy your lungs? You're fine.

So, now that we've answered that question. What all is involved in this health assessment? General physicals are fairly easy to pass - they just look for major signs that you're going to die - qualifying for life insurance is much more different, but I wouldn't call that a 'health assessment' - feels more like a 'financial risk assessment'.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Are you that fucking sensitive that you had to respond like this?

I thought your OP was "unreal" too, but I didn't feel like responding last night.

Also, are you drunk typing again? Because your spelling blows.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Nah, I'm not drunk now, ha ha. This however is real. I should have been more specific. This health assesment is for insurance. They check our BMI,LDL, Blood Gluclose,and blood pressure. All 4 of these at a proper rate can give us a discount on our premium. The catch is to even qualify for these discounts you have to say you are in the healthy choices plan. The healthy choices plan is for non smokers. They draw your blood and test it for nicotine at part of the physical.

Blog Entries

I'll be your customer service rep today.

lmgtfy

http://www.fbr.org/publications/pamp...tininefaq.html

Blog Entries

Nah, I'm not drunk now, ha ha. This however is real. I should have been more specific. This health assesment is for insurance. They check our BMI,LDL, Blood Gluclose,and blood pressure. All 4 of these at a proper rate can give us a discount on our premium. The catch is to even qualify for these discounts you have to say you are in the healthy choices plan. The healthy choices plan is for non smokers. They draw your blood and test it for nicotine at part of the physical.
    So, you want to know how to safely lie to the insurance company?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I'll be your customer service rep today.

lmgtfy

http://www.fbr.org/publications/pamp...tininefaq.html
    So just to confirm, somking one cigar, the cototine levels will degrade greatly in 24 hours, and stay low, so long as I don't consitantly smoke them. I could probably smoke 1 every 2 weeks, and be fine as long as I don't smoke any say a month before my test? If they say anything about it, I could just claim second hand smoke. Sound about right? Or am I wrong?

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    So, you want to know how to safely lie to the insurance company?
    I wouldn't call it lying. There is a huge difference in the health of someone who moke a pack or 2 a day and someone who smokes a cigar every month. I see no harm in it, its not like id be killing myself where a 2 ack a day smoker would. I just want to make sure that smoking a cigar every month or so wouldn't come up on the test the same as if I were a heavy smoker.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't call it lying. There is a huge difference in the health of someone who moke a pack or 2 a day and someone who smokes a cigar every month. I see no harm in it, its not like id be killing myself where a 2 ack a day smoker would. I just want to make sure that smoking a cigar every month or so wouldn't come up on the test the same as if I were a heavy smoker.
    What does the questionnaire ask about smoking?
    As far as your question regarding the testing, try this linky........ if you need more than simple logic to answer your question.

13. Default

Okay first of all nicotine won't show up in a blood test unless your inhale, and if your inhaling your cigar smoke then your just not very smart, and judging by your question, your not, and that's putting it nicely. Other then that welcome to cigarsmokers.com

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fumador View Post
    Okay first of all nicotine won't show up in a blood test unless your inhale, and if your inhaling your cigar smoke then your just not very smart, and judging by your question, your not, and that's putting it nicely. Other then that welcome to cigarsmokers.com

This was my thinking,but I wanted to be sure. After further researching I have found any traces of smoking metabolize out of the sytem at a half life of 20 hours. So in theory even if I took in 250mg from a cigar, within 1 week I should be down to 1mg which could be explained about 1000 different ways. In theory I could smoke a cigar while I brew (the most I brew is twice a month because its a tiring 8 hour process) and I should be perfectly fine. For the record I wasn't worred juat about the test,but about my overall health. It seems that rare of cigar smoking will have little to no effect on my health.

15. Default

Now as a side note, how would you guys rate the gispert toro as a mild cigar? The guy I bought from reccomended it as one of his favorite milds.

Blog Entries

Okay, first of all nicotine won't show up in a blood test unless you inhale, and if you're inhaling your cigar smoke then you're not very smart, and judging by your question, you're not, and that's putting it nicely. Other then that, welcome to cigarsmokers.com
    Not true......nicotine is absorbed into your system, i.e. bloodstream, through the mucous membranes in your mouth and nose when you smoke a cigar. If you smoke enough cigars, and are tested within the appropriate time frame, it could most definitely show up on the test......depending on the type and sensitivity of the test performed, of course.

17. Default

One more note. I feel we got off on a wrong foot here. I am very interested in learning cigars from you guys. Do you guys recommend any books to learn more? Or any keyword searches I should do here to find some good n00b guides made by forum members?

Blog Entries

One more note. I feel we got off on a wrong foot here. I am very interested in learning cigars from you guys. Do you guys recommend any books to learn more? Or any keyword searches I should do here to find some good n00b guides made by forum members?
    In many ways you can think of this entire forum as a n00b guide: the information shared, the lessons learned. This is what you should spend your time reading - not only will you learn more about cigars, but how this board works, etc.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

That is absolutely not true. Cigar smokers absorb nicotine through their lips, mouth and nose it will show up in a test that insurance companies do when underwriting for life insurance policies.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    That is absolutely not true. Cigar smokers absorb nicotine through their lips, mouth and nose it will show up in a test that insurance companies do when underwriting for life insurance policies.
    I know I was just yank'n his chain because this thread is funny.

Thread Information