Thread: Problems with new humidor (pics)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Problems with new humidor (pics)

Hi Guys,

I purchased a new humidor on ebay (€60 inc postage) a week or two back to replace my small 50cap. It's a really beautiful cedar lined mahogany box, but unfortunately the previous owner removed the cedar rim which forms the seal - this is my first problem. I don't fancy myself as much of a carpenter and cedar lumber is pretty much unavailable. Any suggestions (most advice I've read seems to assume the presence of an inner rim)?

Secondly, when I received the humidor I noticed that the lid didn't make great contact at the front. I assumed this would improve with seasoning, however I returned from a weeks holiday on Monday and I could practically see inside the seal was so bad! It seems to bend up and out at the front almost imperceptibly.

Lastly, the humidor seems to be constantly over-humid which I can't understand given the bad seal. When I received it humidity was in the high 70%, after adding humidification crystals to season humidity jumped to the high 80's!
    Its currently at high 60's with NO humidification device.

I've taped down the lid tightly with packing tape and removed all humidification to see if I can force the shape of the lid.

I'm quite perplexed with the amount of issues I'm having, none of which I had with my very basic laminate box (also pictured)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0367.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	2941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0368.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	2942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0400.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	2943  

Thread Information