Thread: mold in humidor

Default mold in humidor

hey everyone.

i noticed some mold starting to form, not on my cigars but on the screen of my circle sponge. i wiped it and it came right off however, i did not put it back in the humidor, i just filled a shot glass up with distilled water and am letting it be they way it is.

the shot glass is actually giving more humidity, i am at about 68% right now where i was only at about 60-62 with the sponge.

the only bad part is that the shot glass takes up some space in the humi.

should i just get rid of the sponge and keep the shot glass in?

2. Default

It's probably not mold that you were seeing.......

Is the sponge itself green? As in when it was new it was green?

Does the sponge hang upside down in your humi? If so, the green "felt" type sponge has left a residue on the screen that holds it in.

I would get rid of the sponge and shot glass and either pick up a Paradigm system or use some beads from Heartfelt.......IMHO.
    The heat around the corner....

yes, it does hang upside down.... never thought of that, the sponge is junk though. i think i am going to get rid of it. and stay with the shot glass for a while. where is a good place to get the humidor beads? any suggesstions of a good site? what is the approximate cost for the beads?

4. Default

I'm not sure on the link.....depending on how your humi is set up you might want to go with the Paradigm system....it will take up less room......

Do a google search for heartfelt industries.....you have to buy them by the 1/2 lb. or 1 lb. quantity though....that's why most guys use them in bigger humis or coolidors....YMMV.
    The heat around the corner....

No need to do a Google search for Heartfelt.... the guy who runs it is a member here.... Viper139

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/H...ont%20Page.htm

I personally would not leave a shot glass of water...... what if it spills.... ruin the cigars and the wood....

Cut a small piece of sponge and put that in the shot glass until you get the beads.....

Viper139 will give you all the info ya need on the beads

I had some moldy cigars last summer because the little humidor I got didn't come with a hygrometer! I switched to the drymistat tube thing since then in that box because its more idiot proof. I am planning on getting a better humidor soon because I have some sticks coming from somebody.

Thread Information