Thread: New and looking for suggestions

1. Default New and looking for suggestions

Hello. I just found this forum while I was looking for suggestions from some people with more experience. I have been smoking cigars for many years, but usually just go in and randomly grab something from my local retailer. I just recently purchased a 50 cigar humidor and I am looking to add some more stock to it.

I have been smoking a Cognac flavored brand called Latin Gold from San Antonio, but the last couple bundles I got from them were not to my liking at all.

Some of the ones I have really enjoyed in the past are:
    Fuente Fuente Opus X (My favorite so far, brought in from the Dominican Republic by my father for me)
    Bahia Blu
    Don Diego
    Acid Kuba Kuba (I liked this one, but it seems that I would have to be in the mood for it. Not as an everyday cigar)
    Liga IV (seems like a good every day cigar)
    Gurkha Viper and other Gurkkha's

Some that I have tried and do not like are:
    Don KiKi (Took way to long to smoke 2+ hours, was to hot and spicy for my taste)
    Oro Cubano (I did not like the flavor and I could not keep it lit. One of the few cigars I have put out before I finished it)

I like sampler packs so I can try new stuff, so if anyone has suggestions on what to get and/or where to get them for something that may fit my taste, please let me know.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

That's quite a diverse mix of cigars.

The majority of us enjoy non-flavored cigars - so you may get many suggestions or advice along those lines from this forum.

My suggestion is to just try stuff. Go on cigarbid and try samplers. Or ask your local tobacconist.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. Holts has some very nice samplers imo.

Hi and welcome to the board from Alberta, Canada
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

5. Default

if you really want to find some good cigars, you will have to smoke a bad one every now and then to see what you like. i started back up a couple years ago after a 4 year break because of a lack of a good cigar shop. there are sooooo many good sticks available these days, just take your pick. here are some good cigars to try out, but these are just some of MY suggestions, i in no way consider myself a tobaccanist or aficianado as im still learning things all the time.

in no particular order
    1. CAO MX2
    2. Cain Daytona
    3. Liga Privada No. 9 or T52
    4. Ortega Serie D
    5. Padron (any)
    6. Tatuaje (any)

Hope this could be of some use for you. And remember the only bad thing about a good cigar is that it doesnt last forever.

6. Default

I am new to forum but have been smoking cigars for about two years now and am still trying new smokes whenever I can. I would have to agree with mrtr33 about asking your local tobbaconist for suggestions, tell him or her what you have tried and like in a stick and they will recommend something that has similar charactistics, never go for something to similar though. tatujeman gave some good suggestions as well (CAO MX2 is a favorite of mine and a lot of my friends, very good stick ) My advice to you is that when smoking a cigar for the first time write down your thoughts about it, what you like about it, how does it burn, what you paid, etc. Try all sorts of different wrappers, brands, and vitollas. The best advice I got was from Tobacco Jack at my local shop is to keep cigars you like but always have new ones in your humidor to try. It is important that finding your personal tastes is not a guided tour but rather a journey you take for yourself, though having a few friends come with is nice.

Thread Information