Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Smoker Sampler Suggestions

1. Default New Smoker Sampler Suggestions

First, thank you for taking the time to read this post. I am a new smoker, and having done a forum search for a couple of hours, I have learned a bit to push me in the right direction. However, I do want to try a few to get my head around what type of cigar I would enjoy the most. Can anyone recommend a good sampler package from Cigar International? I want to place an order to test some out, but don't want to be stuck with anything that would a) be to bold b) terrible c) something I wouldn't appreciate at this stage in the game. My budget is less than 50 for the time being. I am also going to head to my local shop tomorrow to get a couple recommendations to hold me over until my shipment arrives. Thank you in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
    -Mike

Blog Entries

Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

You'll receive varying opinions, but I would suggest you hold off on one of those Cigars International samplers. In my experience, they offer 1 or 2 quality smokes, and then crap that they just need to get rid of. For years, the Newbie Sampler Thread in the Exchange section of the forum has offered quality samplers from seasoned cigar smokers. These usually start at $50, and go up from there.

I would suggest, before you even get a sampler, is just to try some singles. When you first start out, you'll probably dislike more cigars than you like. Many newbs begin a journal, documenting where the cigar came from, the size, etc. in an attempt to identify what they enjoyed about the cigar. My local tobacconist, when I first began, suggested I begin looking for cigars with the same kind of profile of how I liked my beers - big, strong and bold. Over time, my tastes have changed. But you've got to start somewhere.

I hope this help. Search is your friend here.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

You'll receive varying opinions, but I would suggest you hold off on one of those Cigars International samplers. In my experience, they offer 1 or 2 quality smokes, and then crap that they just need to get rid of. For years, the Newbie Sampler Thread in the Exchange section of the forum has offered quality samplers from seasoned cigar smokers. These usually start at $50, and go up from there.

I would suggest, before you even get a sampler, is just to try some singles. When you first start out, you'll probably dislike more cigars than you like. Many newbs begin a journal, documenting where the cigar came from, the size, etc. in an attempt to identify what they enjoyed about the cigar. My local tobacconist, when I first began, suggested I begin looking for cigars with the same kind of profile of how I liked my beers - big, strong and bold. Over time, my tastes have changed. But you've got to start somewhere.

I hope this help. Search is your friend here.

Hi Mike, welcome to the board from Alberta, Canada.

What mrtr33 said!

I just want to comment, I did several newbie samplers when I first joined and I was very glad I did. I made a point of mentioning to the people I did the samplers with what I had smoked previously so they wouldn't send me those. Also, I did the samplers one at a time and smoked all of one before starting another. Keeping a journal of what you got from whom would also be helpful in keeping things straight.

If you're new to smoking cigars in general, I will add, you will probably want to start with mild to medium cigars and work your way up to the stronger cigars. Also, smoking a cigar after a meal is always a good idea. For some reason I find they taste much better when you have a full belly.
    Last edited by CptnBlues63; 05-08-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: fixed a bad sentence
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Welcome from Eastern Oregon! Try what Mark said!
    Just another day at the office!

6. Default

Thank you for all your suggestions gentlemen, I really appreciate it. So after hearing, "go to your local shop!" all over the forum thats what I did today, as it happened to me my day off. Told the gentleman that I was new and to give me three in different strengths to gauage what I would like. I walked away with
    1)VegaFina Toro Hecho A Mano.
    2)Habano #3
    3)Rocky Vintage 1990.

I took your advice and will start a journal with some notes on what I like about each (or not like). Ill keep you posted, Im starting on the Toro now.

7. Default

So just to update you folks, the Rocky 1990 was BY FAR my favorite. The Fega Fina was a little harsh for my first time around, the the other was simply to light. Do you have any suggestions based on my like of the rocky? Id like to try some simillair ones! Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelbehlen View Post
    So just to update you folks, the Rocky 1990 was BY FAR my favorite. The Fega Fina was a little harsh for my first time around, the the other was simply to light. Do you have any suggestions based on my like of the rocky? Id like to try some simillair ones! Thanks in advance!
    The Rocky Patel "Edge" maduro.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    The Rocky Patel "Edge" maduro.
    X2

You might also want to try just about anything by Padron

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    X2

You might also want to try just about anything by Padron

Very simillar in tastes? Anything specific?

Blog Entries

Welcome from Ottawa, Canada, where it looks like Holts has decent samplers.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Welcome from Ottawa, Canada, where it looks like Holts has decent samplers.
    I just got my first shipment today from Holts. They included a catalog with my purchase....of course. I believe I'm gonna need more cigar storage, probably a wine-a-dor. Thanks a lot buzz.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    I just got my first shipment today from Holts. They included a catalog with my purchase....of course. I believe I'm gonna need more cigar storage, probably a wine-a-dor. Thanks a lot buzz.
    LOL. You're going to buy great cigars. Poor you.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Yes, very specific, they (Padron) make a VERY good cigar that I think you will enjoy if you liked the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

I'm struggling a bit here....

You said you like the RP 1990's, and asked for opinions about other cigars you should try. You've been offered two very solid alternatives - The "Edge" and anything Padron. I personally know both to be very valid recommendations based upon what you've indicated you like - and I know the recommendations were made because they were "simillar in tastes"(sic). How much more "specific" would you like us to be?

Give this a shot - before you ask any more questions, smoke those two cigars and let us know your thoughts compared to the RP 1990. We'll go from there...

Blog Entries

It's better if you just embrace your own problems instead of passing the blame off on others.

Besides, Kevin is really to blame, he was the one who first sent me a Holt's link.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    It's better if you just embrace your own problems instead of passing the blame off on others.

Besides, Kevin is really to blame, he was the one who first sent me a Holt's link.
    Hmmm. Pot calling Kettle?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I'm struggling a bit here....

You said you like the RP 1990's, and asked for opinions about other cigars you should try. You've been offered two very solid alternatives - The "Edge" and anything Padron. I personally know both to be very valid recommendations based upon what you've indicated you like - and I know the recommendations were made because they were "simillar in tastes"(sic). How much more "specific" would you like us to be?

Give this a shot - before you ask any more questions, smoke those two cigars and let us know your thoughts compared to the RP 1990. We'll go from there...
    George,

I am surprised at your response. Today's newbies need clear cut, absolute fail-safe direction in deciding upon which cigars they will or will not smoke. It's our responsibility, er, rather, our duty as members of this board to spell everything out for them, despite having this wealth of knowledge at their disposal. Your input and clear direction is paramount to their enjoyment of your hobby. Let's try to not let these noobies down!

michaelbehlen,

A thousand apologies. Please visit your local tobacconist. Please make sure you are wearing a white guyabera with a white, tank-top t-shirt when you go. Only real cigar smokers use Xikar products. You won't want to use a lighter (not even a torch lighter!) on your cigar, but instead, light a cedar strip and light your cigar that way. Find the most expensive, darkest cigar in there you can. I would suggest the Padron Family Reserver 44 Years. If they don't have it, roll your eyes and huff, and mention under your breath that the cigar shop is beneath you. Start making loud accusations that you know the owner, and you've never been treated like this. Look disparagingly on other patrons that aren't smoking what you are smoking. Make sure you light up whatever cigar you buy, despite any rules that mention otherwise, because that's what real cigar smokers do.

Please smoke (in this order):
    Padron 80th Natural
    Padron Milennium - only smoke the first 3/4 of this cigar. Trust me.
    Padron 4000 Maduro
    Padron 1926 #9
    And, my personal favorite: Padron 1928 Maduro - insist upon it!!!

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you as a community - make additional sampler suggestions, provide you with online stores with great selections, hold your dick while you take a piss, whatever.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    George,

I am surprised at your response. Today's newbies need clear cut, absolute fail-safe direction in deciding upon which cigars they will or will not smoke. It's our responsibility, er, rather, our duty as members of this board to spell everything out for them, despite having this wealth of knowledge at their disposal. Your input and clear direction is paramount to their enjoyment of your hobby. Let's try to not let these noobies down!

Blog Entries

Hmmm. Pot calling Kettle?
    Yeah it was intentional...
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Thread Information