Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New here-Cuban ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Oh, and when I was mowing the lawn, I thought of an example that hits closer to home for me, and maybe is a good comparison. Craftsman wrenches vs. Snap-on wrenches.

Both are forged steel with chrome finish. Both have lifetime guarantees, but a Craftsman is significantly less than the Snap-on. Why is this?

They both will tighten, or loosen nuts / bolts. This is not subjective, so why is Snap-on or Matco the "professionals" choice over the weekend warrior Craftsman?
    Your "mowing the lawn" mention reminded me of something that somewhat pairs with the discussions when we're talking about production costs versus "high-end" premium. Not trying to shoot myself in the foot here, but it got me to thinking...

Last year my "high end" (considered to be so by most, I suppose) Toro lawnmower took it's final crap. I say that because it had been literally on its last legs since the day I purchased it. I chose Toro because of its reputation. After having owned a Toro - I'll tell you I would have done much better with an MTD....

So - when I went to replace it, I thought about brand (reputation). What is better than a John Deere, right!?! So - I spend the extra $$$ and went for the John Deere! Come to find out - the John Deere lawnmower I bought was likely manufactured for John Deere at MTD... Imagine that!!!

Now - quite frankly - I was a bit put off by that. Why did I not just buy an MTD (which was, after all, considerably cheaper)? So I did some side by side comparisons. Here's what I found...

They might have both been made at the same plant, but it was clear that they were both not made with the same parts. Are John Deere parts more expensive? Not sure - but they do seem to have more of a "heft" to them. Does the part justify the added expense of a John Deere lawnmower? Well - I can't really say for sure other than to say I'm happy I've traded my Toro for a John Deere... Is the John Deere better than a regular MTD? Well - I think so. Is is so much better that I should have paid extra money? Well... Ummm...

I get where you're coming from when you're comparing Lexus to Toyota, Acura to Honda, Infiniti to Nissan. Except that I own an Infiniti... In my view, while there are some similarities there's otherwise very little comparison between the G35 and the Maxima. If anything - when I take the car in for service I'm treated COMPLETELY differently. I'm used to the Chevy/Ford/Nisssan service department mentalities - and there ain't no comparison to the Inifiniti Service Department mentality. So - if there is no difference in the cost of the part being put into my car - there sure is a difference on the back end with the higher level of service I'm given. I do expect the same "level" of service experience from John Deere. Knock on wood - everything's working just as it should - I'll have to get back to you on the service part once I have an experience with their service (I'm hoping that will be a long, long, LONG time from now).

Lew Rothman does not like "high-end" cigars. He makes that VERY clear. In his view, they cost about the same to produce as a low end cigar so it makes no sense someone would spend the $$$ on a high-end cigar when they can smoke others more cheaply.

In a very simplistic view - that's true. If you have a roller making cigars, it takes pretty much the same effort and materials to roll a Opus as it does a Big Butt. But - it goes without saying that cigars like Opus are not rolled by just anyone at the Fuente factory and they're not using the same exact tobacco as their lower end cigars. "Pennies" in difference between one or the other? Perhaps. But also consider this... Fuente places a lot of pride in their Opus line. They wrap a better band around it (primarily, but the way, to thwart counterfeiters - imagine that!). They box Opus in a fancier box. The add "bells and whistles" to everything around an Opus. Still likely pennies on the dollar difference, but the differences now go from just a few pennies to upwards of a dollar or more. But wait - there's more!!!!

Next consider this... If Fuente was producing lower quality Opus (e.g. draw was not uniform, wrappers were not consistent, taste was not always similar, etc), would that Opus justify the price people were paying for it? I would suggest to you that their Quality Control costs associated with the Opus are subtantially more than the Curly Heads. Which means they're going to reject more.

Long story short. The Fuente factory manufacture a LOT of Opus X. But - they do not manufacture them in anywhere near the quantities of their lesser lines. Makes sense - I mean logically there are less available more highly skilled rollers, they're using the best tobacco Fuente (in much smaller quantities) they can get and putting them through a more stringent quality control process (rejecting much more finished product than standard runs).

Are they worth the extra money Fuente charges? I mean - I know an awful lot of folks that "hate" Fuente primarily because they think Fuente is doing some kind of marketing tricks with the Opus. Well - that's truly is the subjective part of all of this. Manufacturing costs aside, doesn't that really depend on where the buyer sits? We all routinely see places selling Opus WELL above even Fuente's suggested retail price! PEOPLE ARE BUYING THEM FOR INCREDIBLE PRICES (often above even Fuente's set retail pricing).

So why is that not true with a Big Butts? Why is Big Butt not selling for ungodly prices on eBay? If it's an issue of supply and demand pricing, why is Lew Rothman (and his counterparts) able to snatch up truckloads of Big Butts at dirt cheap pricing to sell in their "mega" cigar stores, but not Opus X? BECAUSE NO ONE WANTS BIG BUTTS EXCEPT THOSE LOOKING FOR A $2 CIGAR!

But back to reality. Is the manufacturers retail price of an Opus really that much more expensive than the rest of their lines? I would argue - dollar for dollar - value for value - cost of manufacture vs. cost of manufacture - they're really not that out of line. Cohiba vs. Quintero? Again - if you look at the "realistic" costs associated with factory to shelf (factoring out the "Lew" thoery), I don't believe you'll find the actual markup is as far apart as it may seem.

Blog Entries

They might have both been made at the same plant, but it was clear that they were both not made with the same parts. Are John Deere parts more expensive? Not sure - but they do seem to have more of a "heft" to them. Does the part justify the added expense of a John Deere lawnmower? Well - I can't really say for sure other than to say I'm happy I've traded my Toro for a John Deere... Is the John Deere better than a regular MTD? Well - I think so. Is is so much better that I should have paid extra money? Well... Ummm...
    On a similar note, there are Anderson windows and there are Anderson Windows sold by Home Depot for a lot cheaper. The dumbass consumer THINKS he's getting a "deal" buying name brand Anderson windows for a hell of a deal from Home Depot but if he were to buy that same Anderson window from a real hardware store and put it side by side with the Home Cheapo piece of crap that was 20% cheaper, he'd see a world of difference and realize how Home Cheapo just bent him over. Of course your average "consumer" is way too stupid to know better. How does that famous P.T. Barnum saying go...."There's a WHAT born every minute!"
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I hate to say it Craig but George is right.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Oh, and when I was mowing the lawn, I thought of an example that hits closer to home for me, and maybe is a good comparison. Craftsman wrenches vs. Snap-on wrenches.

Both are forged steel with chrome finish. Both have lifetime guarantees, but a Craftsman is significantly less than the Snap-on. Why is this?

They both will tighten, or loosen nuts / bolts. This is not subjective, so why is Snap-on or Matco the "professionals" choice over the weekend warrior Craftsman?
    If you're a professional mechanic like my brother is, there is a WORLD of difference between Crafstman garbage and Snap-On tools. I don't have enough time or space here to give you the many examples I know about but trust me, there IS a huge difference but I will give you a couple:

For instance, a Craftsman wrench will strip off the corners of a stove bolt that is frozen where as a Snap-On socket or combination wrench almost never will. As a matter of fact, I've personally been in situations where a friend rounded the corners of a bold with his cheap tools (usually Cratfsman) and when I put my Snap-On wrench on the bolt, it removed it with relative ease. Another example, Craftsman Philips screwdrivers are notorious for ruining the heads of troublesome screws and if you then use a Snap-On Philips head screw driver you can remove the screw that you thought was ruined.

Sure, Craftsman garbage is "lifetime guarantee" but what the hell good is that if the damn things keep breaking on you whereas Snap-On tools won't in the same situations? When you're trying to disassemble an engine on a Saturday night, it's not like the local Sears stores are open 24/7 to replace your broken tools and you can't finish the project whereas if you were working with Snap-On tools in the same situation, odds are very good to excellent they never would have broken in the first place. I can't tell you how many times I had to make good on the Craftsman guarantee only to have them keep breaking. It's a rare occasion I have to make good on a broken Snap-On tool. I've slowly weeded out all the Craftsman garbage from my tool boxes and I'm a much happier person for it.

My brother is pretty much a "professional" and I'm more the "weekend warrior" guy with tools and I avoid Craftsman, Chinese and Taiwan tools whenever possible, it's just not worth it no matter how "inexpensive" they are compared to real tools. Again, there is a HUGE difference and the additional cost is well worth it. eBay is an excellent source for buying Snap-On tools for less than full retail AND you can sell your Craftsman stuff there too in order to get rid of it. Who cares if you only get ten to twenty cents on the dollar, at least you've flushed the turds out of your tool box.

Where did Craig go, I thought he was going to finish his thought "over the weekend" (last weekend that was.......)
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 08-24-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Bill, STFU.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Bill, STFU.

Will
    That's one way to attempt to end an argument!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    That's one way to attempt to end an argument!
    He asked a question and I gave him the answer. He's wrong and knows I'm right. I guess he just don't take to well to being disagreed with.

I'm still wondering what happened to craig.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 08-26-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Yea, "STFU" was pretty brash. I apologize.

But no, Bill, you're not right.

The question was not whether Snap-on is superior to Craftsman. I'm pretty sure I recognized that in my original question.

The question is IS Snap-on THAT superior that it commands prices 5-6 or more times expensive? Arguing that over the years, you've tracked down second hand Snap-on through eBay, auctions etc. is not even valid. That actually supports my argument that you recognize that new retail prices of Snap-on is outrageous.

They are better tools. More ergonomic, the ratchets offer "in between" ratchet locations which can be helpful. Smoother action. But are they THAT much better? What are you paying for? Does a 3/8" Snap-on ratchet cost $75 dollars more to produce? Does the Padron 80th $26 more to produce? Does an Audi cost $30k more to produce than a Passat?

I have a lot of Craftsman, some combo wrenches that my grandfather used "professionally" in their small engine repair shop in Jersey. They're at least 70yrs old. I have not experienced and epidemic of nut / bolt head rounding that you speak of. Usually if that happens, I'm either using the wrong tool, or the bolt is in such a shitty condition NO tool is going to get it to come out nicely. Also, if I anticipate trouble, I go with a 6 point socket, rather than a round prone 12point. Also, if you're chronically breaking tools you're probably using the wrong tool to begin with. I've taken some Craftsman stuff back, but I can probably count on one hand to occasions. Once, I found a Craftsman ratchet while doing a bridge inspection, and the ratchet guts were gone, and the finish rusted. I went and got a new one. (That doesn't count)

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I work full time in retail mattress sales (not the most romantic product, though lots of romance happens on them), and part time in marketing. When learning how to sell, then when learning how to market a product I had to learn what motivated people to buy. With the possible exception of some very basic needs people buy emotionally then reinforce it logically. Especially with luxury items, which really is anything we buy that we don't really need, or a nicer, more expensive version of a product when there is a less expensive option for the same product available. Most of what we buy we don't need and while we will work on the back end to justify it (logical reinforcement), the buying process on all these items begins with emotion. A Honda would get the job done, but it just feels better to drive a Mercedes or Jaguar.

Cigar smoking as a whole is a luxury. We all do it just because we like it. It makes us feel good to sit back and light one up. If it was just about smoking we would all be stocked up on the cheapest gas station cigars available. It's not just about smoking, it's about the experience, the taste, smell, draw, construction, but also about the presentation and the stories behind the products. It all works together to create that experience. It takes a better product to create a better experience, but also better presentations and better stories. All of those things cost dollars to create and the ones who are good enough to put it all together and convince me to spend $20 plus dollars on something I will turn to ash deserve more profits than someone who can only convince me to spend $5 on this soon to be ash product. If it were easy to do we would all be selling $20 cigars for insane profits.

My point basically is that as long as you are taking comparable products that have a difference in price and working to justify that difference by the matterial difference alone, you will be left scratching your head. And as long as you are only making practical, logical purchases that are void of emotion, you will likely not ever own much that you truly enjoy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post

Where did Craig go, I thought he was going to finish his thought "over the weekend" (last weekend that was.......)
    You obviously missed the "beaten to death" disclaimer in Craig's post. This thread for sure qualifies.

Blog Entries

Running around with work - haven't forgotten, will eventually reply ... and yes, George is right, but he also took took my statements out of context. However, I may not have given sufficient context .

As for Snap-on vs. Sears, I'll cover that too.

... gotta go, back in a few weeks.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    You obviously missed the "beaten to death" disclaimer in Craig's post. This thread for sure qualifies.
    No, I didn't miss it, there were hardly any posts after his last one so I don't believe that is "beaten to death."
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Yea, "STFU" was pretty brash. I apologize.

But no, Bill, you're not right.

The question was not whether Snap-on is superior to Craftsman. I'm pretty sure I recognized that in my original question.

The question is IS Snap-on THAT superior that it commands prices 5-6 or more times expensive? Arguing that over the years, you've tracked down second hand Snap-on through eBay, auctions etc. is not even valid. That actually supports my argument that you recognize that new retail prices of Snap-on is outrageous.

They are better tools. More ergonomic, the ratchets offer "in between" ratchet locations which can be helpful. Smoother action. But are they THAT much better? What are you paying for? Does a 3/8" Snap-on ratchet cost $75 dollars more to produce? Does the Padron 80th $26 more to produce? Does an Audi cost $30k more to produce than a Passat?

I have a lot of Craftsman, some combo wrenches that my grandfather used "professionally" in their small engine repair shop in Jersey. They're at least 70yrs old. I have not experienced and epidemic of nut / bolt head rounding that you speak of. Usually if that happens, I'm either using the wrong tool, or the bolt is in such a shitty condition NO tool is going to get it to come out nicely. Also, if I anticipate trouble, I go with a 6 point socket, rather than a round prone 12point. Also, if you're chronically breaking tools you're probably using the wrong tool to begin with. I've taken some Craftsman stuff back, but I can probably count on one hand to occasions. Once, I found a Craftsman ratchet while doing a bridge inspection, and the ratchet guts were gone, and the finish rusted. I went and got a new one. (That doesn't count)

Will
    Uhh, "prices 5-6 or more times expensive" is where you're letting your imagination run wild again...... Can you find me a Craftsman tool where the Snap-On equivalent is "5-6 times" more expensive? If you can, please let me know because I think you're full-o-crap on that one.

And I NEVER said this:

"Arguing that over the years, you've tracked down second hand Snap-on through eBay, auctions etc. is not even valid."

Did I ever say "second hand" here, no I did not so don't claim I said things that I didn't, okay?

And no, I'm not "using the wrong tool to begin with" Craftsman sockets suck and break far more often than Snap-On sockets and their shitty screwdrivers break too, much more so than real tools like Snap-On. In my experience and years of using tools for what I use them for, it's worth the extra money for Snap-On tools over Craftsman. I've returned far more Craftsman tools than Snap-On so much so that it was too aggravating and too inconvenient for me so for the most part, I stopped using them. I think if you used your tools more often, you'd reach the same conclusion that I and many others have.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 08-30-2012 at 02:04 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I've slowly weeded out all the Craftsman garbage from my tool boxes and I'm a much happier person for it.

eBay is an excellent source for buying Snap-On tools for less than full retail AND you can sell your Craftsman stuff there too in order to get rid of it. Who cares if you only get ten to twenty cents on the dollar, at least you've flushed the turds out of your tool box.
    Again, "slowly" means to me, once convinced you didn't just rush out and replace all your tools with Snap-On. IF snap-on tools were even twice as expensive as Craftsman, I too would replace them.

An example? I have a black roll cab with side cabinet, intermediate cabinet & tool chest. From Craftsman, it was around 1200 dollars. I don't have a Snap-On truck in front of me, nor their mysterious price catalog, but a friend who does bodywork has a Snap-On roll cab of similar volume that was around 10k.

Ya know, just saying the same thing again doesn't reinforce your argument, you are just repeating yourself.

...yeah, I need to "use my tools more"...

ETA: It's an intermediate drawer, not "cabinet"
    Last edited by badwhale; 08-30-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

How do you know Craftsman sockets suck, and break all the time if you've replaced them?

I'll give you the screwdriver example.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1...&blockType=L10

149.95/38.99 = 3.8 times more expensive. Ok, not quite 5-6 times as expensive, but the tool box example exceeds the 5-6 times more expensive.

Also, I tried to keep the ratchet example "apples to apples" meaning polished chrome. If you just went with the plain forged teardrop craftstman: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1...8&blockType=L8

then you're at 149.95/22.99 = 6.5 times more expensive.

ETA:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-1...1&blockType=L1

423.00/29.99 = 14.1 times more expensive. Yes, yes, before your wisely point it out, the Snappy set has 2, count 'em 2 MORE SOCKETS!!!
    Last edited by badwhale; 08-30-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Uncle Tupelo

I'm trying really hard to compare the Craftsman to the Snap On tools - but I can't get them to be apples to apples...

For starters - Craftsman sure is thin on details. Snap On sure does have quite a bit more information about their tools...

Craftsman 1/2 in. Socket Wrench

Product Overview:
    Item Weight (lbs.): 1.4 lbs.
    General Features:
    Drive Size: 1/2 in.
    Drive Tool Length: 10-3/8 in.
    Drive Tool Type: Ratchet
    Socket Type: Quick release
    Others:
    Drive Size: 1/2 in.
    Ratchet Style: Polished
    Snap On 1/2 in. Socket Wrench
    Snap On Socket Wrench
    Name Ratchet, Quick Release, 1/2" drive
    Price** $149.95
    Brand Snap-on
    Country Of Origin USA
    Dimension A, Head Depth, inches 3/4
    Dimension B, Head Width, inches 1 5/8
    ASME/ANSI B107.10
    Dimension C, Length, inches 10 5/16
    Finish Chrome
    Gear Action 4.5°
    Gear Teeth 80
    Handle Standard
    Head Type Quick Release
    Ratchet Service Kit RKRSR80A
    Square Drive, inches 1/2

Description:
    •80 tooth gear for 4.5 degree of swing arc
    •7 teeth in contact with the gear at all times to provide maximum strength and durability
    •Quick release has a positive locking feature to hold socket securely in place when needed and push button for easy removal
    •Sealed head keeps dirt and contamination out and lubricants in
    I know that 80 gear teeth is better (makes is easier to take shorter strokes - "4.5 degree of swing arc") which costs more to manufacture (tighter tolerances). "7 teeth in contact with the gear at all times to provide maximum strength and durablility". I don't see what's in Craftsman, and not sure why they did not publish that information in their catalog...

But - your second Craftsman example is more telling...

10-3/8 in. long standard teardrop 1/2 in. drive ratchet. One-hand reversing lever. 36 gear teeth equates to 10 deg. ratcheting arc. Shape allows better access in tight spots. Weight 1.5 lbs.
    Not apples to apples - definitely!

This does pair with my experience between Snap On and Craftsman. Craftsman is "ok" (definitely better than WalMart), but is definitely not the same quality as Snap On. If I were a professional mechanic, I would definitely use a Snap On over a Craftsman. I do like the way their tools "feel" and (more importantly) how they work compared to the Craftsman. To me - apples and oranges difference - and clearly not "pennies" (or even "quarters") difference to manufacture...
    Last edited by ggiese; 08-30-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I'm trying really hard to compare the Craftsman to the Snap On tools - but I can't get them to be apples to apples...

For starters - Craftsman sure is thin on details. Snap On sure does have quite a bit more information about their tools...

Craftsman 1/2 in. Socket Wrench

Snap On 1/2 in. Socket Wrench

I know that 80 gear teeth is better (makes is easier to take shorter strokes - "4.5 degree of swing arc") which costs more to manufacture (tighter tolerances). "7 teeth in contact with the gear at all times to provide maximum strength and durablility". I don't see what's in Craftsman, and not sure why they did not publish that information in their catalog...
    Here we go...

Uncle Tupelo

..and Will - I would suggest it might be foolish to argue with Bill about mechanics tools. Far more than a "weekend mechanic", Bill does do quite a bit of work on cars - and intimately knows the differences between the quality of tool manufacturers. He's one of those individuals I have called on when I've had a question about what the best tool would be to do the job - knowing that he would be in a position to best know...

Here we go...
    It's hard to argue when you don't understand the differences...

You're an engineer - you would know. If you took apart a Snap On tool and compared the "guts" to a Craftsman - do you really believe it to be apples to apples?

Before you answer that question - I'd highly recommend you do your "research"...

You're ignorance is truly shocking to me. The idea you'd argue that ignorance is even more shocking.
    Last edited by ggiese; 08-30-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Thread Information