Thread: New here-Cuban ?'s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I'm going to show my ignorance (again), but I really don't think Cubans are that great. I think it is the idea of the forbidden fruit for smokers in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    I'm going to show my ignorance (again), but I really don't think Cubans are that great. I think it is the idea of the forbidden fruit for smokers in the US.
    And there are those folks that think high end cigars are a waste of money. It's all a matter of perspective.

...of course - if you've not developed a palate that discerns subtle favors, spending a lot of money on cigars makes absolutely no sense. My wife is guilty of that. She could care less what I give her to smoke, as long as it's "nice". And she wouldn't know the difference between Cuban's or White Owl's. Giving her any $30 cigar is foolish - though giving her a $2 cigar is equally folly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    And there are those folks that think high end cigars are a waste of money. It's all a matter of perspective.

...of course - if you've not developed a palate that discerns subtle favors, spending a lot of money on cigars makes absolutely no sense. My wife is guilty of that. She could care less what I give her to smoke, as long as it's "nice". And she wouldn't know the difference between Cuban's or White Owl's. Giving her any $30 cigar is foolish - though giving her a $2 cigar is equally folly.
    This is true with my wife too. Last year I was taking the bands off her cigars prior to handing them over. That was an interesting experiment. I recall a Flor de Baloney beat out several MUCH higer priced cigars...
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post

That's bullshit. If you don't think "Cuban are that great" then that's fine but making up stories to rationalize your position is wrong.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I agree it was somewhat of a bullshit statement. Big Sarge often posts that he's still very green to cigars. That said, I do think people's first ISOM may not be mind blowing, and is more of the mystique of the Cuban cigar. On the other hand, if you readily admit you don't have much cigar experience, chances are you will be talking out your ass making such a statement. He qualified it with the preemptive "to show my ignorance (again)" remark.

I would also venture to guess that his ISOM experiences have been when he was on duty, and he may have encountered fakes compounding his non-enjoyment of Cubans.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I actually tend to agree with his "are not that great" opinion I just completely disagree with the "forbidden fruit" explanation.

Cuban cigars definitely taste different from cigars from any other country. Many have tried to duplicate them and they have all failed. There are times when I want to smoke a Cuban cigar and there are other times where a Padron 1926 will only do and other times where I'm craving and Opus X or whatever.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

7. Default

The cuban cigar industry is like any other countries cigar industry. Great cigars to all the way down to shitsticks. I have some great Cubans and some fucking nasty assed ones. If you think a Piedra is gonna be a great smoke you are in for a big disappointment
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    The cuban cigar industry is like any other countries cigar industry. Great cigars to all the way down to shitsticks. I have some great Cubans and some fucking nasty assed ones. If you think a Piedra is gonna be a great smoke you are in for a big disappointment

Hey, speak for yourself you CigarSnob.

I received some Piedra Cazadrores as a freebie with a box purchase a while back and I love 'em.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

9. Default

Lol
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Like I have admitted, I don't have a lot of experience compared to ya'll. My fav cigar is the CAO Gold. Hopefully my palate will develop someday

You can try COHIBAs, siglo2 for 40 mns, siglo3 for 50mns. They are expensive, but so good!

Quote Originally Posted by tonko View Post
    You can try COHIBAs, siglo2 for 40 mns, siglo3 for 50mns. They are expensive, but so good!
    Again - a matter of perspective. I prefer Montecristo over Cohiba. And - if I'm going to spend the money, Trinidad is my favorite all day long. I do enjoy a Cohiba from time to time, but it is definitely not my go to cigar. In my humble opinion - the cigar is overpriced.

Have you tried Vegas Robaina?

I think I just gave away my last Flor De Baloney today. As for cubans-they are not what they used to be pre-revolution. I had a H Upmann cuban in Cancun that was worse than the Flor De Baloney I gave away. I did find a pretty good cuban corona in an aluminum tube---Flor DE Cano. (around $ 2 -10 years ago).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonygraz View Post
    I think I just gave away my last Flor De Baloney today. As for cubans-they are not what they used to be pre-revolution. I had a H Upmann cuban in Cancun that was worse than the Flor De Baloney I gave away. I did find a pretty good cuban corona in an aluminum tube---Flor DE Cano. (around $ 2 -10 years ago).
    Really? I'd love to hear more about your experience with pre-revolution Cuban cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Really? I'd love to hear more about your experience with pre-revolution Cuban cigars.
    Unfortunately I only got a few whiffs of them as I didn't smoke back then. I do know that many PR cubans had Connecticut wrappers or binders and that ended after the revolution. I also remember a favorable initial public reaction to the revolution until they discovered Fidel was a commie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tonygraz
    Unfortunately I only got a few whiffs of them as I didn't smoke back then. I do know that many PR cubans had Connecticut wrappers or binders and that ended after the revolution. I also remember a favorable initial public reaction to the revolution until they discovered Fidel was a commie.
    Um, ok, upon what exactly is the statement below based? I know nothing about you since you have made no attempt to introduce yourself, so I have to ask.

snip....As for cubans-they are not what they used to be pre-revolution. ....snip

Refer to the second sentence of the first quoted paragraph.

Blog Entries

Refer to the second sentence of the first quoted paragraph.
    Cool, that gives me a frame of reference from which to read all your posts, i.e. one who reads and/or is told something and posts it as if from personal experience.

Anal Smoke Guest

Thread Information