Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New here-Cuban ?'s

1. Default New here-Cuban ?'s

So, I am in Canada where they are legal. I just decided tonight after my girlfriends dad gave me a cigar with a yellow wrapper thingy, a Cuban...other then that I dont know what it was.

I dont want to walk into a cigar store and look like a complete newb, get all rushed by an asshole owner and leave with something shit.

What are some good cubans I should look at (im Canadian so why not get cubans, right...or no?)

I perfer it to not be to long or strong, I liked this one and it burnt for about fifty minutes. I dont want to smoke anything for more then a hour and a half give or take, sorry.

Thanks guys.

Blog Entries

Rascc
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Not sure what your budget looks like, but be prepared for sticker shock in Ontario. It ain't pretty...

You could go with ones everyone recommends, but you'll pay through the nose...

"Reasonable" priced Cubans that are nice...

SLR Serie A.
    Vegas Robaina Famosos
    Sancho Panza Non Plus
    Punch Petit Coronas
    El Rey del Mundo Petit Coronas
    Fonseca (just about any)
    La Gloria Cubana Tainos

"El Cheapo" (which are nice):

Quinteros line (Brevas, Nacionales, Panetalas)
    Jose La Piedra (Brevas, Nacionales, Cremas)
    Vegueros

Be careful of counterfeits - they're pretty prevalent in Canada...

4. Default Cuban cigars

Hello,

I'm also in Canada and you are correct, Cuban cigars are legal in Canada, I think the cigar you got might be a Cohiba. There are many brands of Cuban cigars:

Cohiba (Top of my list especially the Siglo III)
    Romeo y Julietta
    Monte Cristo

Something like a Romeo y Julietta #1 or a Cedros De Luxe would be nice in term of smoking time and taste.

As you will see, Cuban cigars are pretty expensive over here you won't find many Cuban cigars under 15$ a piece for the size you seem to like, a Cohiba esplendido sells for about 57$ a piece. I stongly suggest you try Nicaragua cigars like the Casa Magna Colorado series, they come in different shapes and sizes. There is also the Carlos Torano Master series (also from Nicaragua)

Make sure the cigars are hand made !!!

Good luck !!

Blog Entries

SLR Serie A
    Any San Cristobal de la Habana

and pretty much everything ggiese said.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

6. Default My advice, try some cheaper ones first...

My first purchase was a box of 'Cuban Label' cigars from cigar.com

They have their own selection of "House" blends

That means that they are kinda like the discounted bottle of ketchup in the supermarket - in comparison to the real thing.

This is by no means a bad thing;

1) the retail at about $55 per 25 box (with free shipping)
    2) there are sample boxes that allow you to get a feel for all of the different flavours and tastes and types
    3) They come in all the sizes possible (just about) ranging from about 4 and 3/4" to the 7.5" churchills (my fave)

These are not SHOW STOPPING cigars. But the stoogie review (link below) says that for the price the quality is good.

Hope this helps,
    Seano

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/privatelabel.asp?brand=449

http://www.stogiereview.com/2011/04/...m-cuban-label/ (even a video here where you can watch it being smoked)

Blog Entries

At just over $2 per, anything better than "dog turd wrapped in burnt hair" is good for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    At just over $2 per, anything better than "dog turd wrapped in burnt hair" is good for the money.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

I'm out in Alberta and I would recommend you don't get all hung up on Cuban's just because we can get them here legally. Not that they're not good, it's just there are a LOT of non-Cuban cigars out there that are extremely good (Padron is a prime example).

Whenever I go into my B&M, I buy something new to me that I've never tried before. Sometimes it's a Cuban, sometimes it's not. Sometimes I buy one of each.

Through trying different cigars I've found quite a few I like a lot. One of my personal favorites is the Romeo y Julietta Churchill. Those aren't cheap though. You're looking at around $30/each. At least, out here in AB I'm paying that when I buy them at the B&M.

If you're looking for a less expensive Cuban that's relatively speaking "good". Check out the Por Laranaga Montecarlo.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

cigar.com doesn't ship to Canada, and discount ketchup doesn't even begin to cover the gulf between a good Havana and a catalogue house brand that claims Cuban aspirations.

For the OP, a good store will know you are a complete newb in under 10 seconds. You'll just be an asshole if you try to sound like you know something.

Given you are in Toronto, just go to Thomas Hinds and buy what they recommend.

An excellent mid-priced Cuban is the MonteCristo Open Eagle. There will be some sticker shock buying in Canada. If you are not directly in Toronto but maybe the eastern GTA go talk to Kevin or Julian at Victory Cigars in Oshawa. They will guide you along. Don't pass on the non-Cubans though. The majority of my cigars are non-Cuban. Though I do buy most of my other brands in Florida due to the huge cost savings and save buying the Cubans for home. Canadian tobacco and luxury tax is outrages.

Russell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seanoprawno View Post
    My first purchase was a box of 'Cuban Label' cigars from cigar.com

They have their own selection of "House" blends

That means that they are kinda like the discounted bottle of ketchup in the supermarket - in comparison to the real thing.

This is by no means a bad thing;

1) the retail at about $55 per 25 box (with free shipping)
    2) there are sample boxes that allow you to get a feel for all of the different flavours and tastes and types
    3) They come in all the sizes possible (just about) ranging from about 4 and 3/4" to the 7.5" churchills (my fave)

These are not SHOW STOPPING cigars. But the stoogie review (link below) says that for the price the quality is good.

Hope this helps,
    Seano

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/privatelabel.asp?brand=449

http://www.stogiereview.com/2011/04/...m-cuban-label/ (even a video here where you can watch it being smoked)
    No, DO NOT smoke garbage like this. Let's take this "try some cheaper ones first" logic one step further:

"Go to your local gas station and buy White Owls, Garcia Vega and any other crap they have lying around....."

The review shat Shawno referenced from stooge review says these cigars are crap.

Shawno, here's what you said in your very first post
    I like cigars - fact! Problem is, i don't know a lot about them.
    So, if you don't know "a lot" about cigars, why are you offering advice to a guy who sounds like he knows more than you (which is a pretty easy hurdle to jump over). You've only been a member here for what, 48 hours and fifteen minutes? Kinda reminds me of a pimple faced freshman in Chemistry class on the first day of school saying to the professor after ten minutes "Hold on Prof., I got ya covered, I'll take over the rest of the lecture for you."

So TontoSmoker, don't pay any attention to Shawno and don't put much stock in so-called "reviews" from dopes who post garbage on places like stooge review.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor71 View Post
    An excellent mid-priced Cuban is the MonteCristo Open Eagle. There will be some sticker shock buying in Canada. If you are not directly in Toronto but maybe the eastern GTA go talk to Kevin or Julian at Victory Cigars in Oshawa. They will guide you along. Don't pass on the non-Cubans though. The majority of my cigars are non-Cuban. Though I do buy most of my other brands in Florida due to the huge cost savings and save buying the Cubans for home. Canadian tobacco and luxury tax is outrages.

Russell
    Wow, I am in Oshawa. Ill go there. Doesnt have to be Cuban, just something nice. I dont know what to expect to pay but I dont plan to smoke em that often so like if I can get a good one for $10, sure but I dont mind pating $15-$30 for a really good one.

I personally enjoy Montecristos - they have a very creamy taste, especially towards the end, and Romeo Y Julietas - Had my first one the other week, very nice and a little stronger than a Montey

Quote Originally Posted by Lanista View Post
    I personally enjoy Montecristos - they have a very creamy taste, especially towards the end, and Romeo Y Julietas - Had my first one the other week, very nice and a little stronger than a Montey
    Am I reading that right? Romeo Y Julieta's "a little stronger" than a Montecristo?

Hmmm... Interesting perspective.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Am I reading that right? Romeo Y Julieta's "a little stronger" than a Montecristo?

Hmmm... Interesting perspective.
    Yeah and a Quai d' Orsay is stronger than both of them, wassa matta wit you?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

I'm going to show my ignorance (again), but I really don't think Cubans are that great. I think it is the idea of the forbidden fruit for smokers in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    I'm going to show my ignorance (again), but I really don't think Cubans are that great. I think it is the idea of the forbidden fruit for smokers in the US.
    And there are those folks that think high end cigars are a waste of money. It's all a matter of perspective.

...of course - if you've not developed a palate that discerns subtle favors, spending a lot of money on cigars makes absolutely no sense. My wife is guilty of that. She could care less what I give her to smoke, as long as it's "nice". And she wouldn't know the difference between Cuban's or White Owl's. Giving her any $30 cigar is foolish - though giving her a $2 cigar is equally folly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    And there are those folks that think high end cigars are a waste of money. It's all a matter of perspective.

...of course - if you've not developed a palate that discerns subtle favors, spending a lot of money on cigars makes absolutely no sense. My wife is guilty of that. She could care less what I give her to smoke, as long as it's "nice". And she wouldn't know the difference between Cuban's or White Owl's. Giving her any $30 cigar is foolish - though giving her a $2 cigar is equally folly.
    This is true with my wife too. Last year I was taking the bands off her cigars prior to handing them over. That was an interesting experiment. I recall a Flor de Baloney beat out several MUCH higer priced cigars...
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post

That's bullshit. If you don't think "Cuban are that great" then that's fine but making up stories to rationalize your position is wrong.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Thread Information