Thread: Oak Barrel

Default Oak Barrel

Lately i have been drinking a lot of corn whiskey but I'm getting tired of having 6 to 10 quart jars laying on my shelf so i decided to get a small oak barrel to store it in.
    I'm wondering how it may change the taste if i store it for a few months before drinking?
    This is the barrel I'm going to use http://www.barrelsonline.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=18 any one tried something similar and if so how did it change the taste?
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 08-09-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

I'm just taking a stab in the dark here but I wouldn't think it would make hardly any difference because whiskeys are aged in charred barrels.

Aging different whiskeys and bourbons for years could be a fun/interesting experience!

Quote Originally Posted by bmock50 View Post
    I'm just taking a stab in the dark here but I wouldn't think it would make hardly any difference because whiskeys are aged in charred barrels.

Aging different whiskeys and bourbons for years could be a fun/interesting experience!
    Good i was hoping it would not change it much if at all.

If it does, and you don't like it, I know of a place you can dispose of it

Have you checked on another forum or anything to see if there are any suggestions for storing whiskey like you want to?
    Last edited by bmock50; 08-09-2012 at 10:40 PM.

I'd be willing to bet heavily it will impart an oakyness to the hooch. It's amazing to me how much oakyness is added to Chardonnay when it's stored in an oak barrel.

The other thing I'd suggest would be you'd lose some volume of the whiskey due to it being stored in the wood barrel.. Most distillers lose a fair amount of product while storing product in barrels (referred to as the "Angel's Share")

Don't forget the Devil's cut.

Blog Entries

We have a keg aging in the barracks of pure corn. The quality of the barrels left a little to be desired, but at least they don't leak. We'll keep you posted on the taste........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keg.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	3126

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
    We have a keg aging in the barracks of pure corn. The quality of the barrels left a little to be desired, but at least they don't leak. We'll keep you posted on the taste........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keg.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	3126
    Looks like the same keg I'm using.
    1.3 gallons i put 5 quarts in it let it sit for almost a month just to see what it did, last night i had a shot and it was a nice amber color but still had that corn taste to it.

i think ill pour a shot every few months till the taste is where i want it then ill transfer it to glass bottles.

9. Default

a few things i would say.

1. a plain oak barrel will impart different flavors than a charred or toasted barrel.
    2. a small barrel (like a 1.3 Gal) will impart flavor pretty quickly, people usually tend to fill them to mature in terms of days/weeks.
    3. Buffalo Trace tried this recently (slightly bigger scale 5, 10 & 15 gallon barrels) as opposed to standard 53 gallon barrels. the smaller barrels were all of same distillate, matured side by side, 6 years.

The results were less than stellar. Even though the barrels did age quickly, and picked up the deep color and smokiness from the char and wood, each bourbon yielded less wood sugars than typical from a 53 gallon barrel, resulting in no depth of flavor.

Blog Entries

We consumed ours at the BN Commander's Social. I think the barrel definitely took some of the edge off, but there is still a strong flavor of corn. Maybe if we let a batch age till AT next summer????? Anyway, I think aging in the barrel definitely has potential

Quote Originally Posted by bmock50 View Post

Looks to me like these barrels are charred
    Out of all the interwebs and www's, I can say that this is my favorite smoke shop

•Kegs are charred on the inside to medium+
    •Made from american white oak

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link. I think I may have to try this. Does anyone have a tip on what might be a good, common whiskey to try?

I'm definitely trying this, think I might mix some bourbons I like and experiment a bit!
    Out of all the interwebs and www's, I can say that this is my favorite smoke shop

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Lately i have been drinking a lot of corn whiskey but I'm getting tired of having 6 to 10 quart jars laying on my shelf so i decided to get a small oak barrel to store it in.
    I'm wondering how it may change the taste if i store it for a few months before drinking?
    This is the barrel I'm going to use http://www.barrelsonline.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=18 any one tried something similar and if so how did it change the taste?
    Does it include ron? If yes I will buy it LOL

Thread Information