Thread: "Beginner" Maduro

Blog Entries

Default "Beginner" Maduro

I've had some recent bad experiences with maduro cigars.
    At one time I was smoking CAO Maduros and liked them quite a bit. But, I ran into a bunch that wouldn't draw (I assume, now, due to over-humidification) and gave them up. Then, later, I bought a box of La Caya Maduro torpedoes from Cuban Crafters and they were crappy. I recently bought two samplers from Thompsons (bad timing-I bought them right before I started reading here steadily) and both of them have crappy maduros in them (smoking one right now, as a matter of fact).
    I used to really enjoy a maduro, but have sort of soured on them.
    What would be a couple of "beginner" maduros to sort of ease back into the experience?

Thanks,
    Matt

Blog Entries

I have no idea what a "beginner" Maduro is - some might say that would be an oxymoron, but I digress.

Here are some to try, in order of increasing price, more or less:

Flor de Oliva Maduro
    Oliva G Maduro
    Padron Maduro
    Fuente Hemingway Maduro

Those are among the best mild-medium body Maddies in their respective price ranges, IMHO.
    Last edited by craig; 08-15-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    At one time I was smoking CAO Maduros and liked them quite a bit. But, I ran into a bunch that wouldn't draw (I assume, now, due to over-humidification) and gave them up. Then, later, I bought a box of La Caya Maduro torpedoes from Cuban Crafters and they were crappy. I recently bought two samplers from Thompsons (bad timing-I bought them right before I started reading here steadily) and both of them have crappy maduros in them (smoking one right now, as a matter of fact).
    What would be a couple of "beginner" maduros to sort of ease back into the experience?

Thanks,
    Matt
    - Padron 3000 Maduro (Robusto) (well, any Padron really)
    - Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 (Robusto)
    - Cuban Stock Royal Selection (Toro)
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thanks,
    Matt
    I think it's dangerous to stereotype an entire class of wrappers based on poor storage, crappy sticks, and, of all things, Thompson. Hope you can come back from it.

Aside from what's been mentioned already, in my limited experience I've enjoyed: Perdomo 10th Anniversary Maduro is good and has a very easy draw, Hoyo de Monterrey Double Maduro Rothschilds are creamy and relatively inexpensive, and I always have Partagas Black Label cigars on hand.
    Latest smokes:
    Cigar: 5/19: Nub Connecticut 464T
    Pipe: 3/16: G.L. Pease~Charing Cross

Have to agree with the Padron and Partagas black label. Also, try E.P. Carrillo maduro, great stick!
    Out of all the interwebs and www's, I can say that this is my favorite smoke shop

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatra Samurai View Post
    Have to agree with the Padron and Partagas black label. Also, try E.P. Carrillo maduro, great stick!
    I've been working through some EPC Maduros lately and they have been very good.

Blog Entries

Default a little clarification...

Thanks for all of the input.
    I guess I should have said maduros on the milder side of the spectrum as opposed to trying the "ass-kickers" right away.
    I'll try to find a couple of the suggestions this weekend. I should be able to find one of them.
    I have about fifteen or so shops within twenty minutes of me. Mostly cigarette shops with humidors, but they cover a pretty wide spectrum.

Thanks,
    Matt

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

If you want a good Maduros it try a black sheep. They're cheap And coming a bundle. I like em good enough....but I really like cao brazillia go's.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
    I think it's dangerous to stereotype an entire class of wrappers based on poor storage, crappy sticks, and, of all things, Thompson. Hope you can come back from it.

Aside from what's been mentioned already, in my limited experience I've enjoyed: Perdomo 10th Anniversary Maduro is good and has a very easy draw, Hoyo de Monterrey Double Maduro Rothschilds are creamy and relatively inexpensive, and I always have Partagas Black Label cigars on hand.
    LMAO @ jiveturkey.

Seriously though ashcan13, he's 100% correct. I highly doubt your tight drawing CAO was because of being too wet, it's most likely due to poor construction which doesn't surprise me with CAOs which are $hitty cigars in my opinion.

Sancho Panza Double Maduro
    Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur
    Any size Aņejo
    Onyx
    Padron 1926 Maduro
    Padron 1964 Maduro
    El Rey del Mundo Robusto Larga & Suprema

there are tons more
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Default CC, did I grow up with you...?

How else would you know when I was a kid my friends called me Ashcan...oh yeah, and Trashcan, Sashcord, Dashboard, Ashtry...OK, I guess maybe we didn't grow up together.
    Thanks for the suggestions. My list is long enough that I should be able to find at least some of these.
    I wonder what else I'll buy while searching?

Thanks,
    Matt

Blog Entries

Default ...what I got and Opus X info

I went out today with my want list.
    Here's what I got...

Oliva Serie G Maduro Churchill
    Hoya de Monterey Excaliber No. 1(I think)
    Padron Maduro 6000
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill
    Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro Torpedo
    I bought two each of these. Thanks for all of the guidance.

I went to six different stores (four of these were in the same shopping plaza. I didn't even have to move my car). Most of these are cigarette shops right on the county line. Cross the line into Cook County, IL (Chicago) and taxes go up. At each one, I ask if they had Opus X. At one of the "real" cigar stores, the guy said their other store had them and to tell the guy there I was one of his customers. I go to that store and ask, telling the guy where I got my info. The guy says they don't have them. I asked if they're out of them or just don't carry them. He says they're out of them, but he seems cryptic. I asked him if they were getting them in any time soon. Finally he says I should come back tomorrow and see Jim and he will tell me.
    Are these things held that tightly? I felt I had to have some sort of status as a steady customer to get them.
    My last stop was a store about a half mile from this one where they always have a "Buy 3, Get One Free" policy. Their prices might be a little higher (not noticeably). He had Opus X in a 10 count presentation box. They were either Reserva d'Chateau or Double Corona size. They were also in glass tubes. The price was $29.95 each, but if I buy three and get one free, they're $22.50 each.
    Is this the way these cigars are usually presented and is the $22.50 in line for a B&M?

Matt

I went out today with my want list.
    Here's what I got...

Oliva Serie G Maduro Churchill
    Hoya de Monterey Excaliber No. 1(I think)
    Padron Maduro 6000
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Churchill
    Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro Torpedo
    I bought two each of these. Thanks for all of the guidance.

I went to six different stores (four of these were in the same shopping plaza. I didn't even have to move my car). Most of these are cigarette shops right on the county line. Cross the line into Cook County, IL (Chicago) and taxes go up. At each one, I ask if they had Opus X. At one of the "real" cigar stores, the guy said their other store had them and to tell the guy there I was one of his customers. I go to that store and ask, telling the guy where I got my info. The guy says they don't have them. I asked if they're out of them or just don't carry them. He says they're out of them, but he seems cryptic. I asked him if they were getting them in any time soon. Finally he says I should come back tomorrow and see Jim and he will tell me.
    Are these things held that tightly? I felt I had to have some sort of status as a steady customer to get them.
    My last stop was a store about a half mile from this one where they always have a "Buy 3, Get One Free" policy. Their prices might be a little higher (not noticeably). He had Opus X in a 10 count presentation box. They were either Reserva d'Chateau or Double Corona size. They were also in glass tubes. The price was $29.95 each, but if I buy three and get one free, they're $22.50 each.
    Is this the way these cigars are usually presented and is the $22.50 in line for a B&M?

Matt
    $29.95 does seem a bit pricey for Opus X, but not fully sure what deal they're offering.

Where do you live in the Chicago area? If you're on the north side, stop by either Cigars and More locations either in Libertyville or Long Grove. Sign up for their members club (it's free). Take a look around - you should find most (if not all) of what you need. When they get in the "rare" Fuente product (e.g. Opus X, Anejo, Hemingway Maduro, etc.) they will send you an e-mail. Cigars and More only charges manufacturers suggest list price for those cigars. You won't be gouged...

BTW - check out the Edge maduro. For the money, it's a great cigar. The Padron thousand series Maduro's are also a very nice cigar. I also like the Sancho Panza maduro's for the $$$.

Good luck and good hunting!

Blog Entries

I'm in the far South suburbs. Monee. Just off I-57 about 10 miles South of I-80.
    If I buy 3 of those, they're $22.46 each because of the "Buy 3, Get One Free" deal. That still seem high? I don't mind buying three if the price ends up being good. If I really like them, I'll be glad I have them. If not, I can trade them away.

Matt

Thread Information