Thread: Turntables

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Well, I hate to say it but, the only difference I've ever noticed between vinyl and CD's is a lack of hissing, popping and scratchy noises on the CD's. As far as the actual sound itself goes, to me there's no difference. But that could just be my ears.

My hearing is a little damaged from years of hunting and shooting without hearing protection (I wear it now at the range all the time), working with sheetmetal (Commercial HVAC installations) and working with a live band for a year or two. So it could just be that my hearing is not so good and was already problematic buy the time CD's started coming out.

I'm the same with the whole DVD vs BlueRay thing too. I have both players and have watched both and see no difference between the two formats so I buy DVD's as they're usually around $10 or more less than BR discs. In fact, I once loaded the exact same movie into both and switched between the two and I couldn't see a difference. Not like the difference you see between a HD channel and a non-HD channel on TV. As for the sound on BR....same thing as music...........my ears don't hear any difference.
    There's two plausible reasons why you can't hear the difference and your hearing probably isn't one of them. I suspect my hearing is worse than yours, but one's brain has the ability to fill in the blanks. Reason one is, you probably don't know what to listen for and reason two is your system may not be resolving enough. Learning what to listen for takes time and a certain amount of experience, not unlike developing one's cigar palette. Resolving systems cost lot's of money. You may not be willing to spend $10,000 and much more to hear the difference.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    There's two plausible reasons why you can't hear the difference and your hearing probably isn't one of them. I suspect my hearing is worse than yours, but one's brain has the ability to fill in the blanks. Reason one is, you probably don't know what to listen for and reason two is your system may not be resolving enough. Learning what to listen for takes time and a certain amount of experience, not unlike developing one's cigar palette. Resolving systems cost lot's of money. You may not be willing to spend $10,000 and much more to hear the difference.

Doc
    I don't even own a sound stereo system. My home theater system has an iPod docking station but it's a home theater system, not a high end stereo. I've never had a chance to actually do a side-by-side comparison of digital vs analog which I think would make a difference. I've never owned a decent stereo and whenever I've been around one that had both sources, it never actually occured to me to try both and compare.

You're likely right, I suspect I just don't know what to listen for. If I get a chance again to compare the two I'll take it and give it a listen and see if I can spot any difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    The audio - I can understand, it's night and day to me, but I can understand not being able to tell the difference.
    The video - I got nothing. BluRay is just so over the top sharp - but this might also depend on other factors - like the movie you're watching, and the audio/video setup. Even though I can tell the difference, we still buy DVD's, as video quality isn't nearly as important to me as audio quality.
    Well, a couple years back the wife and I invested in a top of the line Sony Bravia TV with a Sony Home Theater system. Shortly after buying that, we invested in a Sony BlueRay. So I'm pretty sure the issue isn't the system. Chances are my eyes, like my ears.........just ain't what they used to be...........LOL
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information