Thread: Sept 11

Blog Entries

Default Sept 11

I was in my apartment getting ready for work, listening to the news on the radio when the first plane hit. The reports were that it was a small prop plane that had accidentally crashed. While I was brushing my teeth the 2nd plane hit and I turned on the TV to see if the local news had better info. At work, we listened to the radio as the 1st tower fell, then the 2nd. We just listened in shock to the radio all day. The next day I went to class at the U - I remember how extremely strange the campus was that day.

I can't imagine having to make the decision to jump out of a 90-story window because it was better than the alternative.

Prayers for all those affected by the attack.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    snip....
    Ditto!!
    I was on the loading dock supervising outbound loads. We were able to watch some news reports on CNN in the break room off and on throughout the day. Shock was the predominant mental state....quickly followed by anger.

Blog Entries

I was teaching at a high school that day. I was giving a test - the first test I'd given of the new year. Our principal came over the intercom and informed us that a plane had hit the World Trade Center in New York. She came on moments later to inform us that a second plane had hit the second tower. One girl said that she was too distraught to continue taking the exam. I made them all finish, anyways.

The day just kind of fell apart after that. Students started checking out of school, and less than half of the school was there by 10 AM (this was CST). There were two major concerns:
    1) A very large air force base was less than 10 miles away (Barksdale AFB), and without anyone knowing if there were any more hijacked planes above, no one knew how safe it would be. President Bush would later land and make a statement from there.
    2) The school I taught at was a private Catholic school. Many of the students had parents who worked in the financial industry in Dallas, and as a result, would often travel to NYC on business. I didn't hear about anyone losing a parent, though.

It's funny, but since then, I've always divided up time between "pre"- September 11th, and "post" September 11th.

Thinking today about how much this has impacted so many lives.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I was in my 7th grade science class and had just finished a round of standardized tests. The teacher walked over and turned on the TV and we saw the 2 towers with smoke billowing from each. Iremember them saying on the news they were afraid they might collapse. Just as I was thinking to myself about how unlikely that sounded, the first tower disappeared into a cloud of dust.

I was working on the 6th floor of a 21 story building in Omaha processing account transfers when we heard that the first tower was hit. We thought it was a small plane and nothing serious until we got to one of our breakrooms that had a television and saw the second plane come in. Needless to say we didn't do to much work the rest of the day, being glued to the tv getting updates.

One of my concerns was for my little brother who was in the Navy at the time.

Don
    "I am a soldier I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight" - Gen. George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Indeed!

I was chatting online with a friend from the US who told me when the first plane hit. I immediately turned on my TV and was just in time to see the second plane hit live.

It still affects me deeply.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information