Thread: Hacienda Rio, Torpedo, Oscuro

Default Hacienda Rio, Torpedo, Oscuro

So I smoked one yesterday and I can say I enjoyed it the most out of the other cigars I have tried before. So much so that I would buy it again because it was pleasant to me.

It was not as I expected though. It had an easy pull and very little draw of the smoke. It smoked a lot when I was not smoking it, again with little smoke when I did smoke. The wrapper did have a small imperfection in the middle but didn't seem to affect the cigar. The ash was flaky and looked light gray. It only went to about an inch before dropping.

Now, this is what gets me. I am new to this cigar stuff so please bare with me.

I did NOT taste any of the flavors people mention when they smoke a cigar. Leathery, woody, minty or any of that stuff. I asked a friend who smokes cigars regularly and told me not to expect that. That a cigar is to enjoy the smoke not to taste flavors. What gives? He then told me that those people out there who claim to taste all those things are imagining that and many "pretend" to taste those things. A cigar is supposed to taste like a cigar (and that's what I tasted).

So, is that true? Are many people out there just making up these things. I've seen reviews on youtube about cigar reviews and seen people talking about they taste sweets, cinnamon, chocolate, coffee and all this stuff.....lol. Is it all just their imagination? If not, then how in the world do they taste this stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my hacienda cigar.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	2995

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rigo View Post
    So I smoked one yesterday and I can say I enjoyed it the most out of the other cigars I have tried before. So much so that I would buy it again because it was pleasant to me.

It was not as I expected though. It had an easy pull and very little draw of the smoke. It smoked a lot when I was not smoking it, again with little smoke when I did smoke. The wrapper did have a small imperfection in the middle but didn't seem to affect the cigar. The ash was flaky and looked light gray. It only went to about an inch before dropping.

Now, this is what gets me. I am new to this cigar stuff so please bare with me.

I did NOT taste any of the flavors people mention when they smoke a cigar. Leathery, woody, minty or any of that stuff. I asked a friend who smokes cigars regularly and told me not to expect that. That a cigar is to enjoy the smoke not to taste flavors. What gives? He then told me that those people out there who claim to taste all those things are imagining that and many "pretend" to taste those things. A cigar is supposed to taste like a cigar (and that's what I tasted).

So, is that true? Are many people out there just making up these things. I've seen reviews on youtube about cigar reviews and seen people talking about they taste sweets, cinnamon, chocolate, coffee and all this stuff.....lol. Is it all just their imagination? If not, then how in the world do they taste this stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my hacienda cigar.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	2995
    Can you translate the bolded statement to make sense?

To you general questions, yes just smoke the cigar and note if you like it or not, however if I was just smoking to enjoy the smoke, I could buy bundles of JR alts all day..

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I have wondered the same thing. I have, on occasion, detected spice and coffee. I think. Or is it BS

Blog Entries

This has been discussed on here, extensively.

Uncle Tupelo

Can you point me to the thread? Tried a search but no luck

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Can you translate the bolded statement to make sense?

To you general questions, yes just smoke the cigar and note if you like it or not, however if I was just smoking to enjoy the smoke, I could buy bundles of JR alts all day..

Will
    Sure can and sorry it didn't make sense.

What I mean to say was that because it was an "Oscuro", I thought it was going to be very strong, and heavy! That was not the case though. To me, it was enjoyable, light and smoked pretty smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
    I have wondered the same thing. I have, on occasion, detected spice and coffee. I think. Or is it BS

No doubt I taste the spice or peppery on my tongue and later, the back of my throat but that's about it. To me, that is the normal with every cigar. Some stronger than others.

Before lighting this Hacienda Rio, I did smell the cigar and it had almost a mint scent to it. Non of that when I smoked it.
    Very pleasant cigar though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
    Can you point me to the thread? Tried a search but no luck
    search "chocolate" and look for the thread with about 100 replies...

Uncle Tupelo

Thanks Badwhale. Very informative. It is what I thought. I think those reviewers are using food terms to try and describe what they are teasing. I can certainly discern many flavors in a cigar but I can never identify them. I think it is better to be bale to tell where the wrapper comes from the soil etc. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by jimmyb; 05-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.

I haven't smoked the oscuro version, but the rest of the light wrapper line hasn't got much to talk about for flavors IMHO.

Thread Information