Thread: Need help w/ideas

1. Default Need help w/ideas

Hi all,

I am very new, and if you notice my screenname, I am not a smoker, but my husband is.

He is pretty new to cigars, he's only been into them since July, when we had our babygirl. He started with ordering "ITS A GIRL" cigars online, and from there, he developed a passion and is now fully involved in cigars. He is obsessed. He's already developed quite a collection and is quickly learning which ones he likes and which he doesnt like. I've tried paying attention to the ones he mentions that he likes...or doesn't, but that is not easy to do? (Like, wtf is a dirty rat liga privada...is that even spelled right?)

Anyways, the reason I joined was to get suggestions and advice from other cigar smokers, as to what I could get my husband for xmas, cigar related. He has turned a small wine cooler into a humidor (a word I never knew existed prior to July), and I think finally he has mastered that set up (he previously had issues with maintaining temp and humidity). I also know he has a small handheld cutter and some sort of ceramic thing he uses as an ashtray.

What are the "must haves" for cigar smokers? Any suggestions on what I could get for him? I am trying trying to keep a list of the kinds he mentions liking, like that dirty rat one, but do you all have any ideas?

Blog Entries

Welcome from Bitterville.

It may be difficult to guide a third party, and his tastes will probably change as he moves along. For starters, I'd recommend a regular line, or "thousand series" Padron.

Also, he's referring to Drew Estates (DE) Unico line, the "Dirty Rat" which I think is pretty good. Most of the non-flavored DE cigars are good. I like the T52

No cigars for you?

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

3. Default

I do know the name Padron. He mentions it often. But with each "name" he mentions, there is like, a subcatagory of name. So while I know I've heard "Padron", I know there is something more to it.

This crap is confusing.

And no, no cigars for me. I personally cannot stand the smell of them It reminds me of skunk, haha.
    Though, that has not stopped his attempts of getting me to "just try one!!!".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmokersWife View Post
    I do know the name Padron. He mentions it often. But with each "name" he mentions, there is like, a subcatagory of name. So while I know I've heard "Padron", I know there is something more to it.

This crap is confusing.

And no, no cigars for me. I personally cannot stand the smell of them It reminds me of skunk, haha.
    You might want to search this site for "crap."

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

If you just start looking at 'New guy" and "newbie" type posts from present going back, you find a ton of suggestions from the more experienced folks here.
    A great gift would be to get him to sign up here, introduce himself and tell a little about what he likes so far.
    Then give him sixty or seventy bucks for a Newbie sampler from one of the guys. You can read about it here

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...mpler-Thread-V

Or go to Cigar Forum>Marketplace>The Exchange>The Newbie sampler Thread V.

You cannot go wrong with one as far as variety AND value goes. Plus, it's downright fun getting a bunch of cigars in the mail.
    Matt

" I enjoy the smell of a good cigar." - Amanda Benefiel (my late Grandmother)

This crap is confusing.

LOL

My wife says, "Cigars stink" then proceeds to go smoke a cigarette.........go figure *shrug*

If they're not for you, they're not for you so the next time he brings it up, smile, thank him for thinking of you and tell him to go enjoy one. FWIW, my wife supports my stinky habit..........as long as I keep it outside.........LOL

To date she's bought me a humidor, but it sounds like you don't need to go there, and a gift certificate from my favorite cigar store. I was like a kid in a candy store when I went in to spend it...........LOL

Also, a cigar smoker can never have too many cutters (should always have one stashed in every vehicle) or lighters. I really like XiKar products because they offer a lifetime warranty on their stuff. You can't go wrong with that.

So there's a couple ideas right there. I'll tell you straight up, a gift certificate at a good cigar store (preferably his favorite one) is the BEST thing you can get him. This gives him the choice of what to spend it on, shows you don't mind him smoking them (as long as it's away from you) and will make him happy.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

One of the best gifts I think personally is an object he'll use everytime he smokes,like an ashtray. The cigars I have recieved on special occasions as gifts I have on my top shef and can never bring myself to smoke. But a friend bought me an amazing ashtray and every time I smoke I use it and think of what an awesome gift it was.

Blog Entries

This crap is confusing.
    LMAO!

Padron is a brand and most brands have different lines and each line usually has different sizes. Some Padron lines are:

Padron Serie 1926
    Padron Anniversary 1964
    Padron Thousand series

Now the different sizes of Padron 1926 are:

and each one is the same tobacco but different diameters and different lengths. A Padron 1926 #1 is 6 3/4" long and "ring gauge" of 54 which means it's 54/64" in diameter. A Padron 1926 #9 is 5 1/4" long with a ring gauge of 56 so it's a little shorter and a little fatter than a #1. The Padron 1926s are probably the most expensive Padron (except for some of the limited edition ones which cost even more). A box of 1926 is 24 cigars and a box of #1 will go for around $450.00. If you don't want to spend that much, get him a five pack which will run about $100.00. I'd recommend a five pack for him for Christmas. There are two kinds of 1926s, natural wrapper and maduro wrapper, the maduro wrapped ones seem to be preferred by most cigar smokers over the natural ones.

Get him a five pack of Padron 1926 #9 or #2 maduros and he'll be a very happy guy. I think you can order them from famous.smoke.com
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

9. Default

Thanks for the suggestions.

The issue with my husband, is that when he finds a new "hobby", he dives in and goes full force. This man has literally an entire "wineador" (is that how you spell it?) full of cigars, top to bottom. He has purchased probably hundreds already, and has a good idea of what he likes.

I do know that I am going to get him some nice lighter, he mentioned needing a good quality butane lighter (of course, I have no idea what constitutes a good cigar lighter) and also a floor ashtray.

I really wanted to get him some "special" cigars. I try to pay attention to the names of these things, but gracious, they are really long, and all sound the same to me. I call them all Del Fuegos haha (if you've ever seen Wild Hogs).

Anyways, some "special ones" he mentioned were (and forgive me if I totally screw up the names..)

Liga Privada Dirty Rat and T52 flying pig.

Apparently, he just got an order of the dirty rats, so he is good. However, apparently, these T52 things are impossible to find. Sold out and on backorder everywhere. He really was serious when he said you can't find them. I'd love to just be able to buy him like 5 of these T52 things. Or even just 2 of them, one he could smoke, one he could save. But alas, I feel like I'll never find them. I was even willing to spend good money on them, b/c I know it would mean alot.

You guys wouldn't happen to know when Drew Estates releases more of these things, would you?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ash13brook View Post
    If you just start looking at 'New guy" and "newbie" type posts from present going back, you find a ton of suggestions from the more experienced folks here.
    A great gift would be to get him to sign up here, introduce himself and tell a little about what he likes so far.
    Then give him sixty or seventy bucks for a Newbie sampler from one of the guys. You can read about it here

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/threads/...mpler-Thread-V

Or go to Cigar Forum>Marketplace>The Exchange>The Newbie sampler Thread V.

You cannot go wrong with one as far as variety AND value goes. Plus, it's downright fun getting a bunch of cigars in the mail.
    He is actually already a member to another cigar forum (puff.com). I purposely came here, so I could snoop for ideas without him knowing.

11. Default

You picked a good place to hide. We don't get many pufferfish around here

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

12. Default

Sadly he wont learn a whole lot at puff.com. Commercial sites are just mouthpieces for whoever is buying ad space
    The older I get ,the better I was

Thanks for the suggestions.

The issue with my husband, is that when he finds a new "hobby", he dives in and goes full force. This man has literally an entire "wineador" (is that how you spell it?) full of cigars, top to bottom. He has purchased probably hundreds already, and has a good idea of what he likes.

I do know that I am going to get him some nice lighter, he mentioned needing a good quality butane lighter (of course, I have no idea what constitutes a good cigar lighter) and also a floor ashtray.

I really wanted to get him some "special" cigars. I try to pay attention to the names of these things, but gracious, they are really long, and all sound the same to me. I call them all Del Fuegos haha (if you've ever seen Wild Hogs).

Anyways, some "special ones" he mentioned were (and forgive me if I totally screw up the names..)

Liga Privada Dirty Rat and T52 flying pig.

Apparently, he just got an order of the dirty rats, so he is good. However, apparently, these T52 things are impossible to find. Sold out and on backorder everywhere. He really was serious when he said you can't find them. I'd love to just be able to buy him like 5 of these T52 things. Or even just 2 of them, one he could smoke, one he could save. But alas, I feel like I'll never find them. I was even willing to spend good money on them, b/c I know it would mean alot.

You guys wouldn't happen to know when Drew Estates releases more of these things, would you?
    If you can't find the T52's let me know. I have 3 boxes of T52 robustos that have been aging in my humidor for over a year and if you want 2 or 5 let me know. Price will be what I paid which was $12 each.

Also I just saw that 2 guys cigars in NH has T52 toro's in stock. Not sure how many but I usually find a few of them in their stores so it might be worth calling them.

Blog Entries

I just saw a pile of T52s at the shop today...

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information